And we're back!

Main Menu

So, what did happen in 2016?

Started by DGuller, December 31, 2016, 01:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 12:20:17 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2017, 10:45:49 PM
How do you convince people who refuse the to share the same objective reality as you?

Look not every single person who voted for Trump or Brexit is some kind of radical alt right nutcase.

How many Trump voters believe in a "liberal media bias"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I keep  getting told by conservatives that the hacking didn't actually happen.  It's just a liberal lie.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2017, 12:25:01 AM
How do you convince people who refuse the to share the same objective reality as you?

Look not every single person who voted for Trump or Brexit is some kind of radical alt right nutcase.

I don't know. But somehow I doubt Michigan and Wisconsin are lost forever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 12:42:03 AM

I repeat my initial question:  How do you convince people who refuse the to share the same objective reality as you?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2017, 12:28:44 AM
I keep  getting told by conservatives that the hacking didn't actually happen.  It's just a liberal lie.

It doesn't really matter though does it? I mean, the Russians didn't write those emails. The fact that they were inflammatory is John Podesta's fault.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2017, 01:49:00 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 12:42:03 AM

I repeat my initial question:  How do you convince people who refuse the to share the same objective reality as you?

Make your own lie which is more exciting!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I never suggested you would. The failure of Trump's policies will convince them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 08:40:28 AM

I never suggested you would. The failure of Trump's policies will convince them.
Will it?  Perceiving failure requires collecting facts and rationally analyzing them.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on January 03, 2017, 08:46:27 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 08:40:28 AM

Will it?  Perceiving failure requires collecting facts and rationally analyzing them.

I believe I stated that the margins are thin so it only takes a small fraction of those voters to flip.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 02, 2017, 07:55:22 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 02, 2017, 07:28:34 PM
I don't think internationalization of capital is leftist at all. I identify it as a right wing concept, but potentially I am willing to compromise and call it an economist technocrat concept in the service of big capital independent of other political concerns :)

I never realized allowing poor nations a chance to lift their people out of poverty was what technocratic big capital was all about. Good to know.

Are you sure you are posting in the right thread?  No one here is talking about whether or not to '[allow] poor nations a chance to lift their people out of poverty."  we are talking about why populism has shifted away from the previously prevailing popular narrative that peace and prosperity are achieved through western liberal ideas.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on January 02, 2017, 08:04:30 PM
You become a CEO while I wasn't looking? :D I agree with you that it's a good outcome, but the second costs increase they'll find another sweatshop nation. Sometimes it helps long term, like in Taiwan (I remember when I was a kid everything was made there) who went from making trinkets, clothes, and toys, to having a robust industry now. But that's neither the intermediate nor long term goal of multinationals and companies who outsource. To use Seedy's favourite phrase, its shareholder value.

read some Adam Smith.  He addresses your uncertainty directly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 03, 2017, 03:40:31 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2017, 12:28:44 AM

It doesn't really matter though does it? I mean, the Russians didn't write those emails. The fact that they were inflammatory is John Podesta's fault.

I am curious as to why you think those emails were unedited.  Why wouldn't Clinton's enemies have altered them to their own advantage?

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 08:49:42 AM
I believe I stated that the margins are thin so it only takes a small fraction of those voters to flip.

I agree with you.  The tinfoil hat brigade (on the right or the left) will never be convinced by anything so weak as evidence, but the majority of Trump supporters aren't tinfoil hat people.  They expect a specific outcome, and will dump trump if he does not deliver.

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on January 02, 2017, 07:55:22 PMI never realized allowing poor nations a chance to lift their people out of poverty was what technocratic big capital was all about. Good to know.

It isn't. It's about gaining access to foreign markets (increase profits), cheap foreign labour (decrease costs), and lowering the transactional costs of international trade. The impact on individual states is a secondary effect, even if it occasionally makes a propaganda point.

Do you genuinely believe that NAFTA, TPP, the EU common market, etc are about "allowing poor nations a chance to lift their people out of poverty"?

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 02, 2017, 08:44:28 PM
I think if we're to be consistent about our principles as leftists, then we need to apply them universally. We can't just say because it's a bank or a corporation, we'll exclude them. If our ideas aren't good for everyone, then they aren't good.

I didn't realize you self-identified as leftist :)

I'm not sure I follow. Which principles should we apply consistently to banks and corporations?