And we're back!

Main Menu

The Long March from China to the Ivies

Started by The Larch, December 29, 2016, 08:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

How much of this is based on teenagers weighing the pros and cons of the american vs. chinese educational systems, and how much is based on teenagers weighing the pros and cons of the american vs. chinese college dating scenes?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Do Chinese students tend to date Americans?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on December 29, 2016, 03:20:34 PM

My experience from college was the women certainly did. The men: not as much.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on December 29, 2016, 03:20:34 PM

Based on my limited data from U. of I i'd say mostly not.  I'd go further and say that most aren't into the whole college experience(tm): getting laid, getting fucked up, etc.

Caliga

There were a few Chinese exchange students at my university but they didn't interact with anyone other than each other and mostly were quiet in classes.

Exception: Chinese from Hong Kong.  They socialized with everyone else (including dating).

Caliga

In fact, now that I think about it, my sophomore year roommate Vincent was from Hong Kong.  He was a weird guy who pretended to have a doctor of divinity and solicited donations from old ladies with cancer, but other than that he was 'normal' and had a girlfriend.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on December 29, 2016, 03:24:03 PM
My experience from college was the women certainly did. The men: not as much.

Are you sure they were Reds?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2016, 08:06:04 AM
She is wrong; her parents are right.

No given the political direction in the PRC, an overseas degree is a good hedge if she needs to bolt.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on December 29, 2016, 03:18:24 PM
How much of this is based on teenagers weighing the pros and cons of the american vs. chinese educational systems, and how much is based on teenagers weighing the pros and cons of the american vs. chinese college dating scenes?

If the Chinese "study gods" only want to date, I am sure there are much easier options.  The effort they put into the whole exam thing is no joke  :ph34r:

Monoriu

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 29, 2016, 03:47:46 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2016, 08:06:04 AM
She is wrong; her parents are right.

No given the political direction in the PRC, an overseas degree is a good hedge if she needs to bolt.

She is on a student visa.  Not a green card if I am not mistaken.  She won't be able to bolt even if she wants to. 

CountDeMoney

Yeah, the ones fresh off the boat from the mainland were always the creepy types, all study time and bringing honor to ancestors and shit.  No nutrition, no fun.

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2016, 03:25:57 PM
There were a few Chinese exchange students at my university but they didn't interact with anyone other than each other and mostly were quiet in classes.

Exception: Chinese from Hong Kong.  They socialized with everyone else (including dating).

The Hong Kong/Mainland students from my university mostly stayed within our own group.  Some Indians kept bothering me about study tips and they tried to invite me into their study group. 

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2016, 03:56:04 PM
Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2016, 03:25:57 PM

The Hong Kong/Mainland students from my university mostly stayed within our own group.  Some Indians kept bothering me about study tips and they tried to invite me into their study group.

did they defecate in public
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2016, 03:51:42 PM
She is on a student visa.  Not a green card if I am not mistaken.  She won't be able to bolt even if she wants to.

If she graduates with honors, her chances of parlaying that into a work visa somewhere in the West are pretty decent even in the post-Trump world.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson