Have you ever bought a PC game just for the mods?

Started by Razgovory, July 06, 2009, 06:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

I once bought a PC just to access SCMODS.  But in answer to your question, no.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

Yes. Quake 3. I've actually never played the original game.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DisturbedPervert

Half Life 2
Half Life (although ended up playing it, but bought for the mods)
Quake 1-3

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Josquius

Half Life.
I couldn't have given a shit about the game itself but I loved counter strike.
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Half-life, Silent Hunter III (and IV as soon as GWX 4 is out), Mount & Blade ...

Cerr

It's surprising to me that most people so far have said half life and half life 2. I really liked the single player bits in both games. Two of my favourite FPS.

As for the thread topic. No, can't think of any. Only mod I spent a lot of time playing was Team Fortress Classic and that was downloaded automatically years ago with one the patches for Half Life, I had never heard of it before that.

Pishtaco

The Barbarian Invasions add on for Rome, which I bought for the Arthurian mod, which I then found out was too hardcore for me and never played.

There are a couple of games that I only bought because they had been rescued by their modding communities (or so I'd read): Falcon 4.0 and Rowan's Battle of Britain.

HisMajestyBOB

No, but there's been plenty games where I end up playing exclusively mods - Mount and Blade, Paradox games, SEIV, and a few others.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

BuddhaRhubarb

not really, though I'm usually into trying a few when I hear of good ones.
:p

Sophie Scholl

Another member of the Half Life crowd.  I got it for Counterstrike and the original Day of Defeat.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

FunkMonk

Half-Life. Got it on a lark in '99 because I read an article in a magazine about Team Fortress Classic. Lucky for me, HL happened to be an awesome game in its own right.
And of course after TFC there was Counterstike and then Day of Defeat. I miss those old school beta versions.  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.