Any headlines ever caused you a near heart-attack?

Started by viper37, December 25, 2016, 10:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I just saw this headline:
'Christmas tragedy': Cottage fire victims believed to be Toronto lawyer and his family
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/toronto-family-4-believed-dead-173258641.html

and before reading on the details, I was quite a bit worried.  But it doesn't fit with Malthus, so I'm relieved, in a twisted way.  Still sad for such tragedies on Christmas time though.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Wow, yeah. That would have got my attention for sure.

Terrible news, even so.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

People besides Malthus call their cabin a cottage?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Along with the George Michael news, it seems a tough time for cottagers.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

One day when I woke up and saw the headline that Trump was about to win the election.

celedhring

A workmate's father was assassinated and I learnt it from the morning news. That's the closest I have been to "news-induced heart-attack".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on December 26, 2016, 04:21:43 AM
A workmate's father was assassinated and I learnt it from the morning news. That's the closest I have been to "news-induced heart-attack".

What the fuck? :o

You can't just leave that story on the floor without elaborating.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

If by near heart-attack you mean mildly concerned, the headline in the morning paper about Bmolsson getting stabbed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: celedhring on December 26, 2016, 04:21:43 AM

Her father was a famous political figure, and he was shot by ETA terrorists. It was huge news back in the time (I'm talking about 15 years ago). Poor girl. To this day I can't forget when I met her after the fact.

The Larch

I learned about the death of a friend in the news, I swear I froze when I heard his name being read live, nickname and everything.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on December 25, 2016, 10:17:10 PM
I just saw this headline:
'Christmas tragedy': Cottage fire victims believed to be Toronto lawyer and his family
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/toronto-family-4-believed-dead-173258641.html

and before reading on the details, I was quite a bit worried.  But it doesn't fit with Malthus, so I'm relieved, in a twisted way.  Still sad for such tragedies on Christmas time though.

Just now saw it.  From my perspective I was a little freaked until I saw the name.  I suppose there are lots of Toronto lawyers that have cottages, but still...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

A dozen years ago I was the chief (almost only) prosecutor in a tiny town called Lac La Biche, AB.  I went up there for two days almost every week.

One weekend I heard a news story on the radio about a husband-wife murder-suicide in Lac La Biche.  I nearly panicked - please let it not be someone I had dealt with in court, and even more so - let it not be someone who I had consented to bail.  That kind of thing can end someone's career, even if it was entirely unexpected and the prosecutor did nothing wrong.

But no names were announced.  I had to wait until Monday to ask the local cops who it was.  The 'good news' (though that's a cruel thing to say in such circumstances) was that the deceased murderer had never been before the courts before.

I always think about that story when doing bail hearings on domestic violence cases.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr