And we're back!

Main Menu

2017 Fitness Thread

Started by mongers, December 21, 2016, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on October 22, 2017, 12:32:48 PM
Rocked it. 1:46.25.5  69th/466 in M50-54. 1386 overall out of 11K. I successfully increased my pace with every split and had just enough jam left to sprint the final 100m. With better corral seeding I think I could have done 1:45.

Sask, that is phenomenal! My last half - and my best half - was 1:53. You'd blow by me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

saskganesh

Thanks! Almost everything was perfect: hometown course, warm with no humidity, no Copenhagen thunder, correct mental set and basic dietary prep.

It's always interesting how competition and adrenalin work. You go at least 10% faster.

It also felt easier than a 10K as there's more strategy & endurance. Less emphasis on speed, more on finding a series of happy grooves. For me, no pain until 18K.

As a 50 year old ne'er do well and general layabout, I am feeling quite fucking pleased.

humans were created in their own image

alfred russel

I think the half marathon is the perfect race distance. Not too long you get the torture of a marathon, but a real endurance event that you need to prepare and plan for.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

saskganesh

It's a good sweet spot. I think you are right.  But I do need to try a marathon ONCE.

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on October 22, 2017, 01:18:15 PM
Thanks! Almost everything was perfect: hometown course, warm with no humidity, no Copenhagen thunder, correct mental set and basic dietary prep.

It's always interesting how competition and adrenalin work. You go at least 10% faster.

It also felt easier than a 10K as there's more strategy & endurance. Less emphasis on speed, more on finding a series of happy grooves. For me, no pain until 18K.

As a 50 year old ne'er do well and general layabout, I am feeling quite fucking pleased.

Sasks, that's pretty damn impressive for someone of any age, congratulations. :cheers:

Me, I've entered Winter non-maintenance mode.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: saskganesh on October 22, 2017, 12:32:48 PM
Rocked it. 1:46.25.5  69th/466 in M50-54. 1386 overall out of 11K. I successfully increased my pace with every split and had just enough jam left to sprint the final 100m. With better corral seeding I think I could have done 1:45.

Well done! :cool: Knowing now what it takes to get close to a 2 hour time I'm really impressed by this. My friend wants us to get to the 1:45 mark next year but I seriously doubt I have the discipline to do so.

Also, just bought a new bike. I think I have an addiction. :( It's going to be beautiful though! :wub: (In 3 years when I'm done building it)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

saskganesh

Eddie, I'm Canadian. Winters can last a long time. :canuck:

crazy canuck

Eddie Teach

I was talking about myself. Sounds like you're still experiencing Indian summer.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

I started Tai Chi yesterday. I'll be going twice a week, plus practicing twice daily on my own. That's on top of my usual five-mile walks per day. I'm also back to tracking my food and taking my meds, too. My A1C was 5.9, down from 13.1 six months ago, but if I'm not careful it (and my weight) will start creeping back up.

Saw Sask's half marathon time on Facebook. Damn, Sask. Just damn! And Liep, I know your time wasn't what you hoped for, but don't undersell your time. I've never finished a half marathon in less than three hours. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

saskganesh

Post recovery, I'm taking it easy. Only ran 20 miles this week, longest jaunt was 8 miles. I think I'll do 6 tomorrow morning, take a few days off and try a tenner in the Don Valley on Saturday. Don't know when my next race will be, might be the Santa Claus Parade 5k, just because it's kind've goofy (the short race is the vanguard of the Parade). One I really like to do again would be the High Park 8K in April. The last time I did that was 39:10. It's a hilly loopy route. I have to do more speedwork though.

Valmy

I have been kickboxing since about June (ok not really, it is this gym where I kick and punch the shit out of punching bags for about a half hour). I am down about twenty pounds so today I got to be featured in gym propaganda for how paying them a bunch of money can improve your health. Wahoo! I have always wanted to be one of those 'I lost so much weight using this product' guys.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."