CIA: Senate briefed in September on Russian efforts to deliver a Trump victory

Started by CountDeMoney, December 09, 2016, 09:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I think the whole bribery, giving information to the Russians thing is a bit more damning.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

What if this was all a tragic farce?

Trump goes to Russia, has a great time, courtesy of Putin, not thinking bad of it.

Putin creates a rather damning dossier on Trump and uses it to blackmail him into becoming a presidential candidate and the Kremlin's puppet in the White House.

Trump reluctantly plays along, but tries to sabotage himself by becoming the most outlandish and polarizing candidate he can possibly be. He dialy his obnoxiousness up to 11, he lies, contradicts himself and surrounds himself with a rogue's gallery of incometents, sycophants, and conspiracy theorists.

Only this backfires. Unexpectedly he not only wins the nomination, but also the election, despite losing the popular vote by a huge margin. (His efforts are intercut with Russian operatives trying to patch things up and fix his "unintentional" blunders.)

At least that's how I would write the movie of this. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Honestly, though, if "Grab'em by the pussy" didn't topple him, I doubt this will.

One side will believe the stories, both about sexual adventures and untoward business dependencies with hostile nations, and the other side will brush it off as fake, exaggerated, or a distraction from the real problems.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2017, 03:33:23 AM
What if this was all a tragic farce?

Trump goes to Russia, has a great time, courtesy of Putin, not thinking bad of it.

Putin creates a rather damning dossier on Trump and uses it to blackmail him into becoming a presidential candidate and the Kremlin's puppet in the White House.

Trump reluctantly plays along, but tries to sabotage himself by becoming the most outlandish and polarizing candidate he can possibly be. He dialy his obnoxiousness up to 11, he lies, contradicts himself and surrounds himself with a rogue's gallery of incometents, sycophants, and conspiracy theorists.

Only this backfires. Unexpectedly he not only wins the nomination, but also the election, despite losing the popular vote by a huge margin. (His efforts are intercut with Russian operatives trying to patch things up and fix his "unintentional" blunders.)

At least that's how I would write the movie of this. :P

If we make it through the next 4 years then that is a movie version I'd like to see.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

You have to concede though, the "alt-right" and the Russians are much better in how online communication works.

Serious allegations against Trump and Russia have been made public? Let's flood the Internet with obviously fake overblown "quotes" from it - by this time tomorrow, most people will dismiss the whole thing as utter silliness.

garbon

I think the response is interesting. Buzzfeed was irresponsible for releasing the report that is unverified but it was okay last year to publish hacked emails that weren't verified. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2017, 03:47:07 AM
Honestly, though, if "Grab'em by the pussy" didn't topple him, I doubt this will.

One side will believe the stories, both about sexual adventures and untoward business dependencies with hostile nations, and the other side will brush it off as fake, exaggerated, or a distraction from the real problems.

I think at this point the impression of the general populace is not super important (after all no elections being faced right now) but more as someone noted about Republican leadership and the extent to which Trump prevents them from passing their legislative agenda/meddles.

I agree though that this isn't going to be any deathblow for him. Only person I see it really potentially hurting is Tillerson as such a pro-Putin figure will be harder for Republicans to stomach in light of so much talk and details around Russian meddling.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2017, 06:16:41 AM
I think the response is interesting. Buzzfeed was irresponsible for releasing the report that is unverified but it was okay last year to publish hacked emails that weren't verified. :hmm:

I find hyprocrisy in political reaction becomes very visible if you imagine the situation with reversed roles.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2017, 06:19:16 AM
Only person I see it really potentially hurting is Tillerson as such a pro-Putin figure will be harder for Republicans to stomach in light of so much talk and details around Russian meddling.

I would think Tillerson would probably be the least vulnerable.  Senior executives for a company like ExxonMobil are protected better than politicians when it comes to potential blackmail or other state-sanctioned business intelligence operations.  Corporate security for ExxonMobil is the real deal, not crowd control thugs and limo drivers like Trump's.  Because if there's anything more important than national security, it's share price.  Were anything ever happen to Tillerson, it would affect the stock market the next day.  That's completely unacceptable for a corporate security operation.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2017, 07:16:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2017, 06:19:16 AM
Only person I see it really potentially hurting is Tillerson as such a pro-Putin figure will be harder for Republicans to stomach in light of so much talk and details around Russian meddling.

I would think Tillerson would probably be the least vulnerable.  Senior executives for a company like ExxonMobil are protected better than politicians when it comes to potential blackmail or other state-sanctioned business intelligence operations.  Corporate security for ExxonMobil is the real deal, not crowd control thugs and limo drivers like Trump's.  Because if there's anything more important than national security, it's share price.  Were anything ever happen to Tillerson, it would affect the stock market the next day.  That's completely unacceptable for a corporate security operation.

Vulnerable as in Republicans wanting to confirm his nomination.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2017, 07:24:57 AM
Vulnerable as in Republicans wanting to confirm his nomination.

I dunno, he works for MegaBucksCorp.  They worship that shit.  It would be like Joe Montana walking in.   Autographs first, questions second.  Photos at the door.

The Larch

Apparently there are also evidences of another romp with Russian hookers in St. Petersburg paid by a businessman for Azerbayan, besides the Moscow one, but nothing has surfaced from that one.