CIA: Senate briefed in September on Russian efforts to deliver a Trump victory

Started by CountDeMoney, December 09, 2016, 09:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Just tears.  Tears of exhaustion.  Very tiring keeping up with the serial incompetence and blunders of this self-satirizing excuse of a presidential transition. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Minsky's tears will dry real fast during the rapid succession of about, oh 16 or so 600kt detonations over midtown Manhattan during the Bigly Bargain Chip Crisis of 2019.

The Minsky Moment

Yeah but it will be worth it if next Olympics they announce the national team from "Taiwan" instead of "Chinese Taipei".  That's a cause worth dying for, right there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Wow, so the breach was caused by Podesta responding to a phishing email? :lol:  Dumbass.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 13, 2016, 10:12:24 PM
Wow, so the breach was caused by Podesta responding to a phishing email? :lol:  Dumbass.

By far, still the easiest, most efficient way to hack.  Oooh, a holiday eCard!

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 13, 2016, 10:26:55 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 13, 2016, 10:12:24 PM

By far, still the easiest, most efficient way to hack.  Oooh, a holiday eCard!

MY AUNT IS TRYING TO HAXX0R MY COMPUTER!

DGuller

I've read that a security guy tried to warn him by writing that the e-mail was illegitimate, but accidentally misspelled it as legitimate. :bleeding:

It boggles the mind how many things all had to come together to bring us this catastrophe.  Not to say that there wasn't plenty of incompetence by many parties that opened us up to it, but we could have still gotten away with it if it's wasn't for catastrophically bad luck.

Ed Anger

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Good grief.

QuotePolitics
The Perfect Weapon: How Russian Cyberpower Invaded the U.S.

By ERIC LIPTON, DAVID E. SANGER and SCOTT SHANE
DEC. 13, 2016

WASHINGTON — When Special Agent Adrian Hawkins of the Federal Bureau of Investigation called the Democratic National Committee in September 2015 to pass along some troubling news about its computer network, he was transferred, naturally, to the help desk.

His message was brief, if alarming. At least one computer system belonging to the D.N.C. had been compromised by hackers federal investigators had named "the Dukes," a cyberespionage team linked to the Russian government.

The F.B.I. knew it well: The bureau had spent the last few years trying to kick the Dukes out of the unclassified email systems of the White House, the State Department and even the Joint Chiefs of Staff, one of the government's best-protected networks.

Yared Tamene, the tech-support contractor at the D.N.C. who fielded the call, was no expert in cyberattacks. His first moves were to check Google for "the Dukes" and conduct a cursory search of the D.N.C. computer system logs to look for hints of such a cyberintrusion. By his own account, he did not look too hard even after Special Agent Hawkins called back repeatedly over the next several weeks — in part because he wasn't certain the caller was a real F.B.I. agent and not an impostor.

"I had no way of differentiating the call I just received from a prank call," Mr. Tamene wrote in an internal memo, obtained by The New York Times, that detailed his contact with the F.B.I.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/politics/russia-hack-election-dnc.html

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall