News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A date that will live in infamy

Started by Zanza, December 07, 2016, 02:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

QuoteHow Pearl Harbor Shaped the Modern World

Seventy-five years ago on Dec. 7, shortly before 8 a.m., hundreds of Japanese aircraft dove from the sky in a surprise bombing attack on a United States naval base in Hawaii, killing more than 2,400 Americans.

The attack on Pearl Harbor shocked and outraged the nation and led it into war at a time when Congress and the American people had been split on the response to an already embattled world.

News articles from Dec. 8 reflected a sudden shift in the national mood. According to New York Times articles from Dec. 9 and 10, 1941, thousands of men rushed to sign up to serve in the United States armed forces, pushing enlistment to new highs.

Congressional leaders debated whether to declare war, not only on Japan but also on the Axis powers including Germany and Italy.

Sam Rayburn, who became the longest-serving speaker in the history of the House, was asked that day whether Congress would support war. "I think that is one thing on which there would be unity," he was quoted as saying in The Times.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt declared war on Japan on Dec. 8, and three days later, Germany declared war on the United States.

World War II would see the first and only wartime nuclear strikes, after President Harry S. Truman ordered attacks on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945, killing more than 125,000 people. More than 50 million died in the war over all.

Decades after Pearl Harbor, nationalist parties are on the rise in the West and East alike. With the election of Donald J. Trump as president of the United States, the British vote to exit the European Union and the onset of nationalism in Hungary, France, Austria and Greece, among other nations, experts say the world is more fractious than it has been in a long time.

"Seven decades after Pearl Harbor, the guilt, reflection and self-questioning that followed the Second World War have been replaced by resurgent nationalism on both sides of the globe," Mark Leonard, the director of the European Council on Foreign Relations, said in a phone interview on Wednesday.

The passage of time has also buried old enmities. President Obama became the first sitting American president to visit a memorial of the bombing in Hiroshima. This month, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan announced that he would visit Pearl Harbor with Mr. Obama during a trip on Dec. 26 and 27. He will be the first sitting Japanese leader to travel to the site of the attack.

The United States' entry into World War II led to a postwar order in which the nation and Russia emerged as dual superpowers, with Europe left to rebuild.

Today, the spread of populist movements has disrupted politics on a global scale, and some experts see parallels between the world's mood before the Pearl Harbor attack and the current atmosphere.

Stephen M. Saideman, a professor of International Affairs at Carleton University in Ottawa and an author of the 2015 book, "For Kin or Country: Xenophobia, Nationalism and War," pointed to macroeconomic factors.

"Reactions to the Great Depression bred protectionism and authoritarianism," he said. "The advent of Trump and of far-right populist movements around the world makes us all feel déjà vu."

Mr. Trump has argued that the United States needs to protect its own interests first. He says he is willing to withdraw American forces from Asia, and to renegotiate the nation's alliances.

In June 1941, the summer before the Pearl Harbor attack, an unsigned analysis in The Times explained why many Americans were tending toward pacifism in the face of Hitler's rise. It said one reason was the "abiding memory" of World War I, during which many Americans died.

Today, historical memory and first-person recollections of the Second World War are fading. Only about 620,000 of the 16 million Americans who served in the war are alive, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

For Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, thousands paid tribute to the veterans who fought and died, flags across the nation flew at half-staff, and segments of the armed forces held a moment of silence.

Valmy

75 long years ago. Not really sure how to mark an occasion like this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2016, 02:05:38 PM
75 long years ago. Not really sure how to mark an occasion like this.

Watch racist WWII Warner Brothers cartoons.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

The president has the power to declare war? And didn't Japan declare war on the US December 7?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on December 07, 2016, 02:10:15 PM
And didn't Japan declare war on the US December 7?

Roosevelt makes this point in his speech. Basically that a state of war already exists but go ahead and declare it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: Zanza on December 07, 2016, 02:07:40 PM
Roosevelt's speech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK8gYGg0dkE

A great speech. FDR had a very hard time walking and had to brace his legs/knees straight and shift them forward in a stiff legged type walk. But on this occasion he insisted on walking to the podium for the speech. He leaned heavily on his son's arm as he made the walk to the podium, very fearful that he'd fall and how that would make him look weak in the eyes of the nation's enemies. But he made the walk with no problem and made a great speech, not glorifying the need for war to rev up public opinion, but rather to note the harsh realities of what had happened and that war existed in a strong willed and somewhat somber speech.

mongers

The day Martinus registered on Languish? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Season 2 of The Man in the High Castle starts soon :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Really was a great speech.

It's sad that all the WWII vets I knew as a child are gone.  :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Aye, the last one in my family passed several years ago.  An uncle-in-law (robbed the cradle marrying my dad's sister) who had lied about his age to join the USN prior to the war.  Served on the USS Texas in the Atlantic.

Last time I saw/visited him, he was telling how they cooked moonshine from coconuts in the ship's HVAC system.  :)

CountDeMoney

Scheming Japs, Ed never saw the sneak attack coming from that Jewish American Princess he dated back in '91.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Next time you're in Mobtown, come down to the harbor and see the USCGC Taney, last ship afloat that returned fire on the Japanese raid.

It wasn't at Pearl Harbor, it was at Honolulu Harbor, but it still managed to get its guns up.  Also managed to throw some rounds at the commies during the Vietnam War.