And we're back!

Main Menu

Westworld Discussion - SPOILERS!

Started by Berkut, December 07, 2016, 10:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2018, 12:49:52 PM
Walt.

Walt Disney was the CEO and Chairman of Disney and Disney studios.  Ford is just the guy in charge of the park.  He's not the CEO of the company (in fact, he deals with people sent by the CEO and board).  Walt didn't design or run Disneyworld, he paid people to do that.  The Fords of Disney are pretty much unknown to us.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on May 03, 2018, 12:57:14 PM
A worthy explanation out on the streets.
But this is the company that makes Zork.
You'd think pictures of the founders would be quite widespread in the offices and featured prominently in the employee handbook everyone is issued.

Ford and Weber aren't the founders of the company.  They are the designers of the park.

And, again, we don't know that Bernard actually looks like Arnold Weber did.  The one picture we have of Arnold Weber says he doesn't.  And, remember, Arnold died 34 years before the "present."  No one is still around who remembers him except Delores, and her memory has been altered.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

The second episode clarifies or slightly contradicts certain aspects of your arguments, grumbler.  Just giving you a head's up.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on May 03, 2018, 01:23:41 PM
Walt.

Walt Disney was the CEO and Chairman of Disney and Disney studios.  Ford is just the guy in charge of the park.  He's not the CEO of the company (in fact, he deals with people sent by the CEO and board).  Walt didn't design or run Disneyworld, he paid people to do that.  The Fords of Disney are pretty much unknown to us.

Hugely underestimating Ford and Bernard's role in the park.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2018, 02:12:54 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 03, 2018, 01:23:41 PM
Walt.

Hugely underestimating Ford and Bernard's role in the park.

Ford and Bernard were the founders of a company that got bought out (by Delos, the company William and Logan worked for) long ago.  Everybody there has worked for Delos for years.

I think that you are hugely overestimating Disney's role in Disneyworld.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 03, 2018, 01:59:59 PM
The second episode clarifies or slightly contradicts certain aspects of your arguments, grumbler.  Just giving you a head's up.

We're just having fun here.  If I'm totally wrong, that's cool.

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on May 03, 2018, 08:44:03 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 03, 2018, 01:59:59 PM

We're just having fun here.  If I'm totally wrong, that's cool.
It was an attempt to have your keep going with the series and watch episode 2. ;)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sophie Scholl

A pair of theories:

1) William's daughter is the "human" from the lab that was created.  If you listen to how William's wife died, he says that she "took the wrong pills" and presumably that would cause an overdose.  An overdose which his daughter said was actually a suicide.  However, when he is thinking of his past and thinking of his daughter, as per her being mentioned by Lawrence, we flashback to William walking in on a bathtub with what appears to be a suicide, this time by what would appear to be slashing of one's wrists.  A different method entirely compared to a pill overdose.

2) The Ghost Nation are put in as a fail-safe to evacuate human guests and eliminate hosts who wander into their territory and are thereby deviating from their paths.  This is why William's "daughter" has to escape, as she is not a full human and therefore would have been killed by the Ghost Nation.

KRonn

Interesting theories Benedict, and could very well be right or close to correct. I was wondering why the Indians were only killing hosts and not guests/humans. I'm waiting to see what Dolores, Maeve and their crews wind up doing, what kind of place they make for themselves either in the part or in the real world. Or even if they survive. Meanwhile I still don't fully understand what the "man in black" is up to, but he's damned interesting.

Razgovory

I wonder why anyone would come up with Westworld in the first place.

"I built androids so realistic that they can pass for real human beings"
"Great!  We can build an enormous theme park where the ultra-rich can shoot and rape them!"
"Wait, what?"
"And we will have hundreds of miles of underground tunnels, and thousands of real human beings working there"
"Wouldn't it be cheaper to just have android labor?"
"And we will make the androids dress up as Cowboys, and Samurai, and Hindus!  Also, robot tigers!"
"um, okay."
"Why?  What were you planning?"
"I have no idea"
"Well, since you didn't have a plan we should go with my cowboy/rape idea."
"I guess that stands to reason"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Another episode in and this season seems to be in serious trouble.  The two primary diverging storylines seem to be splitting too far to keep in one narrative effort of a show.  A lot of silliness has been going on and the number of likable characters is swiftly heading for zero. :(

celedhring

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 20, 2018, 11:59:56 PM
Another episode in and this season seems to be in serious trouble.  The two primary diverging storylines seem to be splitting too far to keep in one narrative effort of a show.  A lot of silliness has been going on and the number of likable characters is swiftly heading for zero. :(

I think this season has been a mess.

Solmyr

:huh: I think this season has been getting better and better with each episode! ShogunWorld is amazing. The story is clearly leading towards a confrontation between Maeve and Dolores (the latter being the villain) and I am excited to follow William's arc as well.

KRonn

Quote from: Solmyr on May 21, 2018, 05:01:23 PM
:huh: I think this season has been getting better and better with each episode! ShogunWorld is amazing. The story is clearly leading towards a confrontation between Maeve and Dolores (the latter being the villain) and I am excited to follow William's arc as well.

I tend to agree. It has been a bit confusing but I still like where the story lines seem to be going. They're heading towards confrontation, hosts with each other and ultimately I assume without the real world.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Solmyr on May 21, 2018, 05:01:23 PM
Dolores has a lot of ground to cover in that case.  She's still hanging around the beginning locations of the Westworld environment and Maeve is about to head out of Shogunworld.