And we're back!

Main Menu

Westworld Discussion - SPOILERS!

Started by Berkut, December 07, 2016, 10:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Solmyr on June 11, 2018, 09:22:29 AM
Well, Episode 8 was fucking awesome.
Indeed.  I don't know if it redeemed the season, but... wow.  Definitely one of the best episodes of almost any show I've seen in a long, long time.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

I have really enjoyed this season.  Not sure why people are down on it. 

celedhring

Liked this episode a lot, it helped that it had relatable and genuine emotion, something that I've missed dearly for the most part of this season. Season 1 worked so well because all the sci-fi mumbo jumbo was brilliantly juxtaposed with great personal stories - from man and robot alike. This episode brought that back.

Josephus

It was a very good stand alone episode.

The thing is, though, I find  that there's not much logic as to how the park works.

I assumed, based on what we saw in Season One in the saloon, that the Hosts pretty much get rebooted every morning and restart their narrative every day. (or if not every day, every game--I always pictured it as being a weekly cycle with fresh guests arriving each week).
But the way the Apache's story played out, it's as though they had no narrative and just lived like normal people do. It's as though in Skryim all the characters continue on with their "lives", even when your character is not in that town.

You would think that the programmers, or the game runners, would have realized that the Apache guy wasn't in the narrative any longer and would have brought him in  long before they eventually did.

Not sure if I'm explaining myself correctly, but to me, there's a bit of a logic flaw with how the park runs. Or at least, I'm having a hard time making sense of how the park was supposed to work (even before the shit hit the fan).

As an aside, anyone ever notice there's always a "fly" involved when the hosts start to go rogue? we saw the fly in season one, and in the last episode we saw it at one point on the Apache's fingers.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on June 12, 2018, 09:39:00 AM
It was a very good stand alone episode.

The thing is, though, I find  that there's not much logic as to how the park works.

I assumed, based on what we saw in Season One in the saloon, that the Hosts pretty much get rebooted every morning and restart their narrative every day. (or if not every day, every game--I always pictured it as being a weekly cycle with fresh guests arriving each week).
But the way the Apache's story played out, it's as though they had no narrative and just lived like normal people do. It's as though in Skryim all the characters continue on with their "lives", even when your character is not in that town.

You would think that the programmers, or the game runners, would have realized that the Apache guy wasn't in the narrative any longer and would have brought him in  long before they eventually did.

Not sure if I'm explaining myself correctly, but to me, there's a bit of a logic flaw with how the park runs. Or at least, I'm having a hard time making sense of how the park was supposed to work (even before the shit hit the fan).

As an aside, anyone ever notice there's always a "fly" involved when the hosts start to go rogue? we saw the fly in season one, and in the last episode we saw it at one point on the Apache's fingers.

I think it has to do with Ford's new narrative/game

Razgovory

I didn't think Hopkins was going to be in the show this year.  I'm glad he shows up.  Having him appear on rare occasions as sort of a God figure is interesting.  I just hope there is some sort of payoff for all of this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Well, I was wondering where this was going and now I have answer:  Off the fucking rails.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Solmyr

:huh: It's great. It's not made for unthinking audiences who just want mindless entertainment, though. You actually have to figure things out.

Josephus

Quote from: Solmyr on June 25, 2018, 03:59:19 PM
:huh: It's great. It's not made for unthinking audiences who just want mindless entertainment, though. You actually have to figure things out.

fuck that. I think at work.
Civis Romanus Sum

Solmyr

Quote from: Josephus on June 25, 2018, 04:09:24 PM

fuck that. I think at work.

This show isn't for you then. It's a huge mindfuck.

crazy canuck

I agree with you.  I thought it was brilliant.  I especially loved the last sequence with Black Hat.  Everything was leading to that scene. 

HVC

1st season made you think and I enjoyed it. Second season not so much. Tried to watch it a few times, but only made it half way.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on June 25, 2018, 05:16:24 PM
1st season made you think and I enjoyed it. Second season not so much. Tried to watch it a few times, but only made it half way.

I think the appeal of the first season is people thought they were watching a western with a twist.  It really wasn't until the last episode that the time shifts were revealed.  In the second season they started with a time shift and time kept shifting and even after the last episode it is not entirely clear what is and what is not real (the main theme of the second season).  For the more philosophically inclined this was brilliant, but it was a big risk because a lot of viewers were probably watching for other reasons.

Razgovory

You can really only deceive the audience with a big twist once.  After that the audience expects it and the further attempts tend to raise more questions than they answer.  I didn't know what the big twist was going to be on the last episode, but I knew there was one, and when it was revealed I found I didn't really care that much.  It didn't help that I didn't understand what some of the characters were doing.  For instance, I didn't understand why the Delos corporation guys felt a need to program one of the hosts to make the other hosts fight one another.  From their perspective all the surviving hosts were jumping off of a cliff.  Why not just let them jump?  I'm not a stickler for everything making sense perfect sense, some suspension of disbelief is required in these kind of shows, but characters need to have reason why they do things and some of those reasons need to be relatable.