Saudis give nod to Israeli raid on Iran

Started by jimmy olsen, July 05, 2009, 12:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Woah, if true a very interesting development.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article6638568.ece
QuoteJuly 5, 2009
Saudis give nod to Israeli raid on Iran

Uzi Mahnaimi in Tel Aviv and Sarah Baxter

The head of Mossad, Israel's overseas intelligence service, has assured Benjamin Netanyahu, its prime minister, that Saudi Arabia would turn a blind eye to Israeli jets flying over the kingdom during any future raid on Iran's nuclear sites.

Earlier this year Meir Dagan, Mossad's director since 2002, held secret talks with Saudi officials to discuss the possibility.

The Israeli press has already carried unconfirmed reports that high-ranking officials, including Ehud Olmert, the former prime minister, held meetings with Saudi colleagues. The reports were denied by Saudi officials.

"The Saudis have tacitly agreed to the Israeli air force flying through their airspace on a mission which is supposed to be in the common interests of both Israel and Saudi Arabia," a diplomatic source said last week.

Although the countries have no formal diplomatic relations, an Israeli defence source confirmed that Mossad maintained "working relations" with the Saudis.

John Bolton, the former US ambassador to the United Nations who recently visited the Gulf, said it was "entirely logical" for the Israelis to use Saudi airspace.

Bolton, who has talked to several Arab leaders, added: "None of them would say anything about it publicly but they would certainly acquiesce in an overflight if the Israelis didn't trumpet it as a big success."

Arab states would condemn a raid when they spoke at the UN but would be privately relieved to see the threat of an Iranian bomb removed, he said.

Referring to the Israeli attack on an alleged Syrian nuclear facility in 2007, Bolton added: "To this day, the Israelis haven't admitted the specifics but there's one less nuclear facility in Syria . . ."

Recent developments have underscored concerns among moderate Sunni Arab states about the stability of the repressive Shi'ite regime in Tehran and have increased fears that it may emerge as a belligerent nuclear power.

"The Saudis are very concerned about an Iranian nuclear bomb, even more than the Israelis," said a former head of research in Israeli intelligence.

The Israeli air force has been training for a possible attack on Iran's nuclear site at Natanz in the centre of the country and other locations for four years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Oviously they're planning to send planes to combat the Somali pirates.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

The Saudis are already in bed with the Jews, why not with Israel?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

The preference of Saudis for the Israelis over the Iranians is old news.  Israel isn't an existential threat to the Saudi kingdom like Iran is.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2009, 12:19:37 PM
Woah, if true a very interesting development.

You're such a fucking douchebag.

Crazy_Ivan80

bleh, should the israelis strike iran the saudis are going to bitch about it. They may not like shia iran but they're still muslims to be supported against the evil zionists™

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 05, 2009, 03:35:07 PM
bleh, should the israelis strike iran the saudis are going to bitch about it. They may not like shia iran but they're still muslims to be supported against the evil zionists™
They'll nitch about it for domestic consumption, sure.  So will the US government.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on July 05, 2009, 03:48:18 PM
They'll nitch about it for domestic consumption, sure.  So will the US government.

Why is the world so double faced?

Why is wrong to admit that bombing Iran is the right thing to do?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 05, 2009, 07:40:16 PM

Why is it the right thing to do?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Monoriu

Because it may not be effective?  Because the nuke programme is scattered in so many different places that it is almost impossible to get them all in one strike?  Because even if you take out some of the hardware, they can easily rebuild AND they now have the excuse that building a nuke is for self-defence?

Bombing Iran can be worse than a crime - it could be a mistake.

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on July 05, 2009, 08:41:10 PM
AND they now have the excuse that building a nuke is for self-defence?
Since when do they need an excuse?

Fireblade

Iran is going to have the Bomb, whether Israel likes it or not.

Siege

Because it may not be effective?  Because the nuke programme is scattered in so many different places that it is almost impossible to get them all in one strike?  Because even if you take out some of the hardware, they can easily rebuild AND they now have the excuse that building a nuke is for self-defence?

So, what do you recomend? Do nothing?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on July 05, 2009, 10:17:43 PM

So, what do you recomend? Do nothing?

I'd recommend turning the entire Middle East into a nuclear wasteland.