Sorry, Louise Casey, but Muslim women are held back by discrimination

Started by garbon, December 06, 2016, 07:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Fuck you! I will not have you badmouth history books. They rule.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 11, 2016, 02:20:49 PMindeed my concern is to attack islam, as it is worthy of unrelenting attack.
As for ringing hollow to you, it's of little interest to me. Given that your type reminds me -in this particular context- of the Iranian leftists cheering on the Ayatollah in 1979.
You're being suckered, and the generations after ours will curse the names of the people that let it happen. And rightfully so.

Whereas your type reminds me of European anti-Semites of the 1930s.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on December 11, 2016, 03:21:54 PM
I don't think I've encountered quite this open a declaration of bigotry here on Languish before.

Oh, I think you have.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 11, 2016, 05:59:49 PM
Shit, Siege posts the exact same thing every month.

But he's not serious about it.  It's his shtick.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 11, 2016, 02:20:49 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2016, 02:01:01 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 09, 2016, 01:33:30 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2016, 12:25:36 AM
but they have a lot of other opinions about how Islam is terrible.

that is because islam is terrible, just like nazism and communism

Yeah, I know that is your position - and that is why I am certain that if the hijab wearing women stop wearing hijab but remain Muslim, you will find other reasons to attack them. Your concern is not about their rights or misogyny, your concern is to attack Islam. Thus your arguments about misogyny ring hollow.

indeed my concern is to attack islam, as it is worthy of unrelenting attack.
As for ringing hollow to you, it's of little interest to me. Given that your type reminds me -in this particular context- of the Iranian leftists cheering on the Ayatollah in 1979.
You're being suckered, and the generations after ours will curse the names of the people that let it happen. And rightfully so.

So why bring the Hijab into this?  Your problem is not clothing it's the people wearing it.  So let's be honest about this.  Going on about the Hijab and Misogyny only muddies the water.  Don't try to trick anyone else into your personal crus- eh, your personal Jihad
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2016, 08:15:20 PM

Yeah, I know that is your position - and that is why I am certain that if the hijab wearing women stop wearing hijab but remain Muslim, you will find other reasons to attack them. Your concern is not about their rights or misogyny, your concern is to attack Islam. Thus your arguments about misogyny ring hollow.

So why bring the Hijab into this?  Your problem is not clothing it's the people wearing it.  So let's be honest about this.  Going on about the Hijab and Misogyny only muddies the water.  Don't try to trick anyone else into your personal crus- eh, your personal Jihad

Bingo.  Criticism of the hijab is just a cover (yeah, bad pun intended) for attacks on Islam generally.

Berkut

Quote from: dps on December 11, 2016, 08:57:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2016, 08:15:20 PM

Bingo.  Criticism of the hijab is just a cover (yeah, bad pun intended) for attacks on Islam generally.

OK, while that is pretty much what he said, it isn't the only way to interpret his point.

He could be saying that Islam is bad, and worthy of being attacked, and the hijab represents an example of what it is that makes Islam worthy of attack to begin with - hence it would make reasonable sense to "bring the hijab" into it as a example of why Islam should be rejected.

So while it is the case that absent the hijab, he would still attack Islam, it isn't the case that that makes his attacks on the hijab irrelevant.

This is like saying I should not argue about whether or not Trump is a sexist, misogynist pig of a human being, because my issues with Trump would still exist if he was NOT a sexist pig. That is entirely true - if Trump lacked that particular flaw, I would still be incredibly against everything else he stands for - that doesn't invalidate my argument that he is in fact a sexist pig.

Note that I am not willing to jump on the "Islam is worth of unrelenting attack" train.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on December 11, 2016, 11:17:50 PM
So while it is the case that absent the hijab, he would still attack Islam, it isn't the case that that makes his attacks on the hijab irrelevant.

Yes it is. At least that's the point I've been making, and the one I'm standing by.

There's a time and a place to discuss the subtleties of women's clothing choices and patriarchy, and it's not when self-declared anti-Muslim bigots bring it to the table to justify their bigotry.

There may be something to the points about how inner city patterns of crime, drug use, and poor family planning choices create a self-perpetuating cycle of poverty, but the time to have that discussion is not when a white supremacist brings it up to bolster his argument that black people are inferior.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on December 12, 2016, 12:36:16 AM

Yes it is. At least that's the point I've been making, and the one I'm standing by.

There's a time and a place to discuss the subtleties of women's clothing choices and patriarchy, and it's not when self-declared anti-Muslim bigots bring it to the table to justify their bigotry.

There may be something to the points about how inner city patterns of crime, drug use, and poor family planning choices create a self-perpetuating cycle of poverty, but the time to have that discussion is not when a white supremacist brings it up to bolster his argument that black people are inferior.

Who is the white supremacist in this analogy?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: garbon on December 09, 2016, 01:49:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2016, 10:32:05 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2016, 03:51:57 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 08, 2016, 01:49:39 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 08, 2016, 01:40:50 PM
not wearing a piece of clothing that screams mysogyny helps.

I expect that if Muslim women stopped wearing hijab, the anti-hijab people would pick some other thing to pick on.

Probably depends on why they were anti-hijab in the first place.

I am only against the hijab when there is a legal requirement to wear it and only for the hijab where it is banned.
the hijab is not really problematic, by women wearing a hijab shouldn't complain that it's harder for them to integrate.  If I move to the US and I insist on always speaking French, I have every right to.  But I shouldn't complain that it's difficult to find a job and I have trouble making new friends.  Heck, replace "the US" by "Ottawa", the bilingual capital of my country and it's the same situation.  You ain't going nowhere by speaking only French.

Not at all equivalent, Mart.
totally equivalent.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2016, 10:39:52 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 09, 2016, 01:49:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2016, 10:32:05 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 08, 2016, 03:51:57 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 08, 2016, 01:49:39 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 08, 2016, 01:40:50 PM
not wearing a piece of clothing that screams mysogyny helps.

I expect that if Muslim women stopped wearing hijab, the anti-hijab people would pick some other thing to pick on.

Probably depends on why they were anti-hijab in the first place.

I am only against the hijab when there is a legal requirement to wear it and only for the hijab where it is banned.
the hijab is not really problematic, by women wearing a hijab shouldn't complain that it's harder for them to integrate.  If I move to the US and I insist on always speaking French, I have every right to.  But I shouldn't complain that it's difficult to find a job and I have trouble making new friends.  Heck, replace "the US" by "Ottawa", the bilingual capital of my country and it's the same situation.  You ain't going nowhere by speaking only French.

Not at all equivalent, Mart.
totally equivalent.

Nope. After all one isn't really limited from participating in society by the wearing of a hijab. Not speaking the language that is predominantly used in a country will be limiting.

I mean I guess you might have difficulty befriending bigots if you wear a hijab but doesn't sound like much of a loss.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on December 12, 2016, 07:08:21 AM
Quote from: Jacob on December 12, 2016, 12:36:16 AM

Who is the white supremacist in this analogy?

Crazy Ivan.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2016, 10:43:17 AM
I mean I guess you might have difficulty befriending bigots if you wear a hijab but doesn't sound like much of a loss.
you focus on the hijab too much.
The niqab (and other similar clothing) will effectively shut you off from society.  That is the goal of such clothing, to prevent the women from seeking the outside world.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2016, 04:46:41 PM
You don't see a lot of people in the US - except dedicated feminists - causing a ruckus about the deeply sexist notions of "a godly marriage" found within the evangelical community, f. ex. Those same feminists are not shy about critiquing the parallel Muslim practices (and those of other groups) where they exists. Within society at large, that sort of arrangement is acceptable as long as there's no coercion involved, whether amongst Christians, Muslims, Jews or others.

You don't? Generally what I see is people who viciously attacked the Evangelicals, to widespread left wing cheering, turn their guns on Muslims suddenly get denounced as bigots and Islamophobes. Like Bill Mayer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."