News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question: What happens if Trump doesn't leave?

Started by Razgovory, November 29, 2016, 11:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2016, 01:48:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 01:44:33 PM
Okay, let me turn it around as I did for BB.  What if an election is stolen.  What is the proper response?  Watch and complain?

I think the proper response if one suspects state officials of conducting electoral fraud is to request an FBI investigation.

And if the FBI does nothing?  Or if two government offices investigate and come to contrary conclusions?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Our governor spent my tax dollars mobilizing the national guard to thwart Obama's last attempt to seize the nation using martial law.

Because the members of the military are such huge Obama supporters, of course they would go along with it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Can this thread be merged into the 'Minor Terrorism' thread?

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2016, 02:03:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 12:36:21 PM
It's never been done before, and the president can't be legally arrested while in office.  The assumption in the constitution is that the President is will leave office voluntarily.

I don't get it.  If Trump loses in 2020, then the Electors will elect someone else, that person will be inaugurated, and then under the Constitution, that person will be the President and Trump will not.  So of course he could be arrested for trespass and other things as well.

Yes, if everything works the way it is suppose to.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

citizen k

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2016, 02:22:11 PM
Can this thread be merged into the 'Minor Terrorism' thread?

We need a 'Trainwreck Megathread'.

Admiral Yi

MadImmortalMan

Raz, there are lots of better things for you to be worrying about. You can let this one go.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Fine, I'll concede my assumptions.  Conservatives, are as a rule, liars.  When they say that the election is being stolen they are knowingly lying.  There is a good reason to believe this.  Many claimed to believe Obama was going to murder them with "Death Panels", but did not act in the manner of a person who was about to be killed.  People who believe that someone is coming to kill them tend to react violently, not just sit back and grouse about it.  Like wise, Trump is an honest man who does not flout law or tradition in his business life.  And despite this remarkable honesty, Trump doesn't actually mean it when he says he won't recognize the results of the election.

Happy?

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on November 29, 2016, 02:10:59 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2016, 12:01:48 PM
Answer to that is easy: Build a wall around him.

Next President works out the Naval Observatory, and the VP gets Trump Tower.

:D 
And this time Mexico might offer to pay for that wall.

:D

Heh, you know what I can see the build a wall thing becoming the meme to end all memes on the interwebs over the next four years; it would be good if some even went so far as to build walls in those instances, to make them concrete, so to speak.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Scipio

It's never been done before, and the president can't be legally arrested while in office.  The assumption in the constitution is that the President is will leave office voluntarily.
Once someone else is inaugurated, he's no longer in office. Problem solved.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Berkut

So, on another note, is MoveOn.org going to be a thing again now that there is a nominally Republican President?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on November 29, 2016, 03:03:36 PM
So, on another note, is MoveOn.org going to be a thing again now that there is a nominally Republican President?

Lots of forces that have been dormant since 2009 are going to be rushing back. What I am really curious about is if the 'Freedom Caucus' are going to be just as narrowly constructionist with such pressure from their own party coming to bear.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2016, 02:25:01 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2016, 02:03:26 PM

I don't get it.  If Trump loses in 2020, then the Electors will elect someone else, that person will be inaugurated, and then under the Constitution, that person will be the President and Trump will not.  So of course he could be arrested for trespass and other things as well.

Yes, if everything works the way it is suppose to.

?
I don't get it - what else could happen?
I suppose you could have a coup where Trump calls out the Feds or the army the physically restrain the Electors. 
If your question is what happens if a sitting President attempts a coup to stay in power, then there's not a lot of domestic precedent or a playbook for what happens next.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I imagine a scenario where Trump claims to be President due to having the election stolen and lots of people believe and support him including those in positions of power.  Not sure what the outcome of that is.  Maybe nothing gets done because the whole government is split between two governments.  Those supporting Trump and those supporting his opposition. 

But fine, I'll drop it.   Before I do, let me ask you smug bastards one thing.  At this time in 2015 how many predicted that Trump would be President-elect?

Oexmelin

So, I guess the question is:

how confident are you in the health of American democratic and constitutional institutions to resist Trump's seemingly anticonstitutional and antidemocratic impulses?
Que le grand cric me croque !