What was the coolest decade of the 20th century to live in?

Started by Syt, July 05, 2009, 01:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What was the coolest decade of the 20th century to live in?

1900s
2 (3.8%)
1910s
1 (1.9%)
1920s
8 (15.4%)
1930s
2 (3.8%)
1940s
0 (0%)
1950s
5 (9.6%)
1960s
8 (15.4%)
1970s
6 (11.5%)
1980s
6 (11.5%)
1990s
14 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

DisturbedPervert

1920s.  Jazz, speakeasies, rum runners, tommy guns, the mob, radio, cocaine, and flappers.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

70's. Not for the easy sex, but for the shag carpeting and orange couches.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I do sort of see 10 years earlier and so the 80s/90s as having a somewhat cool feel.
I only vaguely remember that period from when I was a kid and it just seemed...better. Computers were more hardcore, no internet. Consoles too weren't mainstream but they just had a aura of awesomeness they lack today. Music...the mainstream sucked big style but indie was at its best- especially once you get through into the 90s.
I'd have to have the caveat of a job though of course.

The 70s are bleh. All poor and nasty. Though punk was cool.
The 60s are cool in some ways but not in others...Depends which 60s you get.
Before that and nah.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Hard to say.  1900-1910 was a time of unbridled optimism, a golden age for humanity that was destroyed by Slavs.  On the other hand, the 40s, 50s and 60s were the time of the great challenge to the West, a time when we had meaning and a purpose.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

1960s.  The world was obviously changing for the better:  The pill, rock and roll, Martin Luther King, Vietnam War protests, and we were gonna BEAT THOSE FUCKING RUSSIANS TO THE MOON!

As Tamas noted, a mini-renaisssance.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Most of you are too young to have remembered teh 80s for how truly awesome they were.

You all fal

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2009, 03:23:20 AM
1954-1963

Cool jazz, Rat Pack, smoking was in, guys wore suits and thin ties to parties, and the ladies still wore gloves.
Yeah, daddyo.
:yes:
Now I feel like watching Mad Men.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2009, 09:31:05 AM
Most of you are too young to have remembered teh 80s for how truly awesome they were.

You all fal

I can remember how awesome my lunchboxes were.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

BuddhaRhubarb

all you people who lived through the 90s and chose that decade are lame. what imagination!

pfft. 20's or 70's (as an adult not the kid I was) I'd love to go back in time and watch old movies with crowds that have never seen them.
:p

jimmy olsen

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 05, 2009, 12:09:09 PM
all you people who lived through the 90s and chose that decade are lame. what imagination!

pfft. 20's or 70's (as an adult not the kid I was) I'd love to go back in time and watch old movies with crowds that have never seen them.
As you scream out spoilers just before they happen! :shifty:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2009, 12:13:50 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 05, 2009, 12:09:09 PM

As you scream out spoilers just before they happen! :shifty:

yeah that's why I'd do it, coz I'm just that much of an ass. :p
:p

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2009, 03:23:20 AM
1954-1963

Cool jazz, Rat Pack, smoking was in, guys wore suits and thin ties to parties, and the ladies still wore gloves.
Yeah, daddyo.
Yup.

But I voted 1910s, if you can stay out of WW1 it is just a fantastically cool era, and I'd include the early 20s in that decade. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."