News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fidel Castro Dead

Started by Habbaku, November 26, 2016, 12:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 28, 2016, 11:55:54 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 28, 2016, 09:37:47 AM
But then during the campaign, the Conservatives decided to go one step further and create a hotline for barbaric cultural practices.  It was a step too far, but then Justin decided to play the racism card and started pandering to the extremists who could get the vote out and denounced the hotline and the bill.  No journalists pointed the fact that he did vote for it though, but that was expected.

SO bottom line is that the quote is false? 
Truth is a matter of perspective, apparently.  I'd say it's not untrue. ;)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-retracts-barbaric-remarks-1.985386

He had a problem calling this practice and others barbaric.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Phillip V

If Cuba is unwilling to make a better deal for the Cuban people, the Cuban/American people and the U.S. as a whole, I will terminate deal.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/803237535178772481

Jacob

Quote from: Phillip V on November 28, 2016, 02:20:27 PM
If Cuba is unwilling to make a better deal for the Cuban people, the Cuban/American people and the U.S. as a whole, I will terminate deal.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/803237535178772481

What deal is he going to terminate? The Guantanamo base lease?

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on November 27, 2016, 03:33:31 PM
Imho yeah, Fidel Castro brought many good things to Cuba. He also brought shitloads of bad things that weren't all that necessary in order to bring the good ones. You don't need to become a repressive dictator for nearly 60 years in order to improve education and healthcare, and kick out the mob and its cronies.

I wish my leftie comrades were able to call a spade a spade.

The USA has yet to do any of that
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on November 28, 2016, 01:23:55 PM
Truth is a matter of perspective, apparently.  I'd say it's not untrue. ;)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-retracts-barbaric-remarks-1.985386

He had a problem calling this practice and others barbaric.

So it's a lie.
If you put quotation marks around a statement, it means that person made that statement verbatim.  That didn't happen, nothing close to that happened.  It's false.

It's also very misleading, because Trudeau said that the acts in question could be called "barbaric" in ordinary parlance, but took issue with the use of the kind of emotive language in a governmental act.  Accuse of him of being overly PC, or insensitive to victims, or obtuse, or not "saying it how it is" or any number of things.  But it is a lie to put into his mouth words he never said, and ideas he didn't express.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2016, 02:57:21 PM
Imho yeah, Fidel Castro brought many good things to Cuba. He also brought shitloads of bad things that weren't all that necessary in order to bring the good ones. You don't need to become a repressive dictator for nearly 60 years in order to improve education and healthcare, and kick out the mob and its cronies.

We haven't? Because our government spends a shit ton of money on those things.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 28, 2016, 03:07:12 PM
So it's a lie.
If you put quotation marks around a statement, it means that person made that statement verbatim.  That didn't happen, nothing close to that happened.  It's false.

It's also very misleading, because Trudeau said that the acts in question could be called "barbaric" in ordinary parlance, but took issue with the use of the kind of emotive language in a governmental act.  Accuse of him of being overly PC, or insensitive to victims, or obtuse, or not "saying it how it is" or any number of things.  But it is a lie to put into his mouth words he never said, and ideas he didn't express.

I don't see how you know it's not a verbatim quote and I don't see how you can say he said nothing close to what was quoted.  According to Veep's link he said calling honor killings barbaric was "objectionable."  That's pretty damn close to saying "you shouldn't call honor killings barbaric."

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2016, 02:57:21 PM

Then no country ever has done that.  So what?  That truism doesn't detract from the point about the repressive dictatorship.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2016, 03:14:40 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 28, 2016, 03:07:12 PM
So it's a lie.

I don't see how you know it's not a verbatim quote and I don't see how you can say he said nothing close to what was quoted.  According to Veep's link he said calling honor killings barbaric was "objectionable."  That's pretty damn close to saying "you shouldn't call honor killings barbaric."

The point is that, when you quote someone, you have to quote them verbatim, or else you are lying when you imply that it is a quote, as in this case.  Quotes that are "pretty damn close" are still lies.  A lie doesn't become true because people think that it, while false, is probably close to true.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall