And we're back!

Main Menu

Social Media, the Filter Bubble and Us

Started by DGuller, November 22, 2016, 11:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on November 23, 2016, 09:39:08 AM
Good thing we avoided all that here :D

Heh, we've seen this sort of article before.  Has anyone here ever changed his or her behavior in order to escape the bubble?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on November 23, 2016, 01:09:33 PM

Heh, we've seen this sort of article before.  Has anyone here ever changed his or her behavior in order to escape the bubble?

derspiess has become more liberal.  Now he just believes in segregation.  He's come around.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tamas on November 23, 2016, 03:22:38 AM
This is a load of BS. The newspapers of old (and now) were also set on one particular world view and agenda. And those who did not read news before Facebook were reliant on their social circle, and the pub, to get news. If you think that was any better than "eco chambers" it has been YOU who have been confined to a bubble your whole life.

I think we all are to some degree. Basically, the more you were surprised Trump won, the more in a bubble you were. Me included. I mean, I knew enough to be expecting the unexpected, but not enough to actually not be surprised by the result.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 23, 2016, 02:41:52 PM
I think we all are to some degree. Basically, the more you were surprised Trump won, the more in a bubble you were. Me included. I mean, I knew enough to be expecting the unexpected, but not enough to actually not be surprised by the result.

I don't think the two are related.  I was surprised by the result because all the polls were predicting a comfortable Clinton victory, not because I don't know Trump supporters/Clinton haters, or because I avoided Trump-positive news.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2016, 02:49:03 PM

I don't think the two are related.  I was surprised by the result because all the polls were predicting a comfortable Clinton victory, not because I don't know Trump supporters/Clinton haters, or because I avoided Trump-positive news.

Exactly.

Why would your average person assume that they, through their personal contacts, have a better idea of voter sentiment throughout the entire country than the alleged polling professionals who make a business of knowing that stuff and work day in, day out tracking it with multiple surveys? In the polls, Clinton was always ahead, albeit by a slim margin. Anyone who says they 'knew better' because they predicted a Trump win is simply suffering from hindsight.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2016, 01:15:24 PM

derspiess has become more liberal.  Now he just believes in segregation.  He's come around.

I embrace diversity.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on November 23, 2016, 02:59:18 PM

Exactly.

Why would your average person assume that they, through their personal contacts, have a better idea of voter sentiment throughout the entire country than the alleged polling professionals who make a business of knowing that stuff and work day in, day out tracking it with multiple surveys? In the polls, Clinton was always ahead, albeit by a slim margin. Anyone who says they 'knew better' because they predicted a Trump win is simply suffering from hindsight.

I think CdM was calling it correctly, based on his RL interactions with the ordinary people in the NE. 

I certainly didn't call a Trump victory, I believed the polls, but if I'd been living in the USA and canvassing people in rust belt states I too might have come to his conclusions.

I say that because during the Brexit campaign if you leafleted people on a typical street*, within an hour or two you'd have an impression entirely at odds with what the polls/pundits were saying.

*not in the big metropolitan areas of London, Bristol, Manchester, central Scotland etc
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

The Timmay news network is remarkable indeed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I listened to right wing talk radio for over ten years. By this point I generally know what their take on something is going to be without having to listen anymore :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Delirium

The new technology has not in practice brought people together, it has separated them even further and forced them to create groups with which to identify, and opposing groups to demonize. Filter bubble, identity politics, anti-establishment populism, all part of the same problem. If anything, we are more prejudiced now than before against "others".
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2016, 06:17:21 PM

Exactly.

I think CdM was calling it correctly, based on his RL interactions with the ordinary people in the NE. 

I certainly didn't call a Trump victory, I believed the polls, but if I'd been living in the USA and canvassing people in rust belt states I too might have come to his conclusions.

I say that because during the Brexit campaign if you leafleted people on a typical street*, within an hour or two you'd have an impression entirely at odds with what the polls/pundits were saying.

*not in the big metropolitan areas of London, Bristol, Manchester, central Scotland etc

That doesn't make any sense, though. Why would anyone reasonably expect that their experience of random people in the place they happen to live accurately corresponds to that of people they have never seen in places they have never gone? Just because everyone one meets in (say) Iowa was rooting for Trump, doesn't mean that the same feelings are of necessity going to be expressed in (say) Florida, or vice versa.

Thing is that the margins were close. Clinton actually *won* the popular vote, allegedly by an estimated 2 million or so votes (and growing, as counts come in). What led to her defeat was how the vote was split. No reasonable person could have predicted in advance how that split would shake out across the entire country, based on a bunch of impressions of street sentiment, and claiming otherwise strikes me as pure hind-sightism.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2016, 08:54:49 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2016, 06:17:21 PM

Exactly.

That doesn't make any sense, though. Why would anyone reasonably expect that their experience of random people in the place they happen to live accurately corresponds to that of people they have never seen in places they have never gone? Just because everyone one meets in (say) Iowa was rooting for Trump, doesn't mean that the same feelings are of necessity going to be expressed in (say) Florida, or vice versa.

Thing is that the margins were close. Clinton actually *won* the popular vote, allegedly by an estimated 2 million or so votes (and growing, as counts come in). What led to her defeat was how the vote was split. No reasonable person could have predicted in advance how that split would shake out across the entire country, based on a bunch of impressions of street sentiment, and claiming otherwise strikes me as pure hind-sightism.

More sense than solely relying on polls.

Just imagine yourself involved in a fight on an ancient or medieval battlefield, a lot of confusion and shouting all about, but doesn't a point come when you can sense how the battle is going and act accordingly?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

One thing that is worse nowadays is that the lunatic and the reckless have easier access to spread their bullshit, and due to the infancy of the media, many people don't realise that just because it's on a webpage, it's not necessarily true.

But guess what, that used to be the situation with my grandparents' generation, and any people on TV with a tie on.

But otherwise please don't pretend/assume that Facebook and the rest have somehow triggered a lower base of discussion and political views. Those discussions have always happened, those views have always been there, the only difference is that you were sheltered from them.
Social media has brought MORE insight into other bubbles, not less.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason for the growing internal divides is not that we understand each other less, but, in fact, more!

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 24, 2016, 09:17:27 AM
More sense than solely relying on polls.

Just imagine yourself involved in a fight on an ancient or medieval battlefield, a lot of confusion and shouting all about, but doesn't a point come when you can sense how the battle is going and act accordingly?

But that's just it, a misplaced analogy. Ears to the ground in Maryland/PA won't tell you what is going to happen across an entire nation. The comparison, if apt, would be that you think the one battle you are in is predictive of all battles that will be fought in an entire campaign.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.