News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Social Media, the Filter Bubble and Us

Started by DGuller, November 22, 2016, 11:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I suspect these Facebook-only news people formerly consumed no news at all, an angle not mentioned in either article.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2016, 01:13:06 AM
I suspect these Facebook-only news people formerly consumed no news at all, an angle not mentioned in either article.

No news is good news.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Tamas

This is a load of BS. The newspapers of old (and now) were also set on one particular world view and agenda. And those who did not read news before Facebook were reliant on their social circle, and the pub, to get news. If you think that was any better than "eco chambers" it has been YOU who have been confined to a bubble your whole life.

Josquius

Newspapers tend not to be so blatant in their lying though. Even the likes of the Daily Mail try to stick somewhat to actual things that have happened at least half of the time.
On the Internet, hidden away in some obscure conservative site that most people will never even glimpse.....take that 50% and shove it.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2016, 01:47:24 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2016, 01:13:06 AM

No news is good news.
:lol:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on November 23, 2016, 03:22:38 AM
This is a load of BS. The newspapers of old (and now) were also set on one particular world view and agenda. And those who did not read news before Facebook were reliant on their social circle, and the pub, to get news. If you think that was any better than "eco chambers" it has been YOU who have been confined to a bubble your whole life.

Spoken like a true eastern European beet farmer.

If editorial boards, news directors and journalist philosopher-kings still ruled the earth as they once did, the Kardashians would not be a thing. 

The Brain

Before social media Hitler and Mussolini rose to power. Social media is still doing better than old-school media.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on November 23, 2016, 10:12:22 AM
Before social media Hitler and Mussolini rose to power. Social media is still doing better than old-school media.

Just because people weren't listening doesn't mean global media wasn't doing its job.

KRonn

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on November 23, 2016, 03:22:38 AM

It is not the news, it is how you don't interact with people you disagree with anymore. You just block them or some algorithm filters them out for ya.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.