1st Annual Languish Twilight Struggle Tournament

Started by Berkut, November 21, 2016, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mkiefte

Losing against Berkut would mean a rematch against Habbaku and Nels.  Might be worth it.  :hmm:
"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

Tamas

mkiefte

Tamas

ah, thanks.

So if you lose against Berkut and I win against him, there will be 4 of us tied for 1st place? :D

I think we need a better system for the next tourney. Maybe a direct elimination stage after group play, Football World Cup style?

Berkut

I actually think this is a pretty fun system.

But then, I value it being interesting more than I value getting some kind of objective result.

If we have a tie, that means that between the 6 of us, we played 30 games of TS, and the result was that we all basically came out pretty even.

That is a hell of a lot more interesting, IMO, than finding out that Habs really is just better than everyone else...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

We would need at least 50 more games to determine that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Nels

Quote from: Berkut on January 31, 2017, 01:17:29 PM

But then, I value it being interesting more than I value getting some kind of objective result.

I knew you were a liberal. Welcome, friend.

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on January 31, 2017, 01:17:29 PM

If we have a tie, that means that between the 6 of us, we played 30 games of TS, and the result was that we all basically came out pretty even.

That is a hell of a lot more interesting, IMO, than finding out that Habs really is just better than everyone else...

:thumbsup:

mkiefte

I prefer objective validation of my superiority.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

0 rows returned

Berkut

These might be the three shittiest luck games of TS I have ever played.

0 rows returned

mkiefte

You're still holding your own in our game.

In an unrelated game, I just forgot which side I was playing and played Bear Trap in the Headline Phase.  I'm the Soviets.

This is why you should not play TS on the bus.

Habbaku

In a completely unrelated event, I've sent some invites for new games.  :P

-J. R. R. Tolkien