1st Annual Languish Twilight Struggle Tournament

Started by Berkut, November 21, 2016, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

vm I refused your intive and sent you a new one because you had 1 day set as limit

bogh

FYI, I'll be out of touch for the weekend (Bay of Islands, here we come) but will return more powerful than you could ever imagine.

Tamas

vonmoltke (US) vs. Tamas (USSR)
Game ID #148843

Berkut

Sorry I didnt get any plays in yesterday. Had my sons volleyball banquet last night, and they won the state title this year, so it went on FOREVER. Then I fell asleep while opening Hearthstone packs...so tonight.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Berkut on December 01, 2016, 12:50:28 AM
Yeah, 1 day only works if you are going to basically play a live game.

What was totally non-obvious on the setup screen is that this was the time limit for the entire game.  I thought it was an action timer.

Drakken

Nels (US) vs. Drakken (USSR)
Game #148137

The other two have been mentioned.

Drakken

Drakken (US) vs. Berkut (USSR)
Game #149403

sbr

Well I just got stroked in my game with mkiefte. I am USSR, T5 I headline Lone Gunman he puts out 5 Year Plan.  The random draw is Defectors, cancelling my own Headline.  :lmfao:

Drakken

Drakken

Nels wins by forfeit on T10. On T9 I had a 7VP lead and Wargames, but he had the SC giving him enough VP to survive. Went downhill from there.

Nels

I was never so happy to see 4 scoring cards in my hand. T9 went from 7 USSR to I think 10? US. Chernobyl in EU to start T10. Earlier USSR lead of 18. Wild game.

Drakken

Truth be told, I am considering retiring from the tournament. I am no contest if I lose by DEFCON-suicide or losing a 18VP lead.

Nels

FWIW, the board position wasn't as favorable as the 18 VPs indicated. Decent lead, then wham, Decol headline and Afr scoring first round, and ouch, I was in trouble. The board in general favored me, so there's no shame in the loss after 18. I actually felt like I was in the driver's seat, then I saw 18, and then there was the turn where I couldn't prevent a wargames win if you drew it and I didn't have anything in my headline to help. I actually thought you played great from behind in board position. Yeah, if you were telling me this, I might not feel great about it, either. But had I lost that game, I was going to be really disappointed, because I thought I had a strong position that kept leaking VPs.

Berkut

Quote from: Drakken on December 07, 2016, 01:15:10 AM
Truth be told, I am considering retiring from the tournament. I am no contest if I lose by DEFCON-suicide or losing a 18VP lead.

I've been playing this game a long time, and *I* lost by Defcon suicide.

Shit happens. Don't worry about it.

PLaying Habs sucks, because he rarely makes mistakes. But you learn a lot by playing him.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Drakken

The irony is, I was surprisingly holding my ground good against Habs.  :(

My biggest weakness is, that I find myself out-dominated and locked out on the majority of the board by Mid-game. When Asia or Middle East is dominated, there is not much left to do than to hope for the upset Event card. And the number of times I have lost to Habs by DEFCON-suicide, I am not sure I am learning that much.