1 (11.1%)
0 (0%)
2 (22.2%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: November 21, 2016, 01:22:00 PM

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2016, 01:07:25 AM
But that does not really address my point. France can no more come to an agreement with Russia than the US can. Russia needs an enemy.
Russia has ton of ennemies, outside and inside.  One more, one less, doesn't really matter.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

This should be in the FB thread, and Marine was not part of the primary election for the right. :contract:

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

viper37

Fillon elected as candidate for the right.

Your thoughts, Duque?  I haven't really followed this election.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

He's a social conservative. Anti gay marriage, anti abortion (somewhat).

Looks like France will have a great choice next year: the reactionary right wing candidate or the neo-nazi :bleedingeyes:

Fun times all around.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on November 27, 2016, 05:31:08 PM
Fillon elected as candidate for the right.

Your thoughts, Duque?  I haven't really followed this election.

Meh. Anybody can win against Hollande should he manage to win the primary election. Yes, there is a new primary in January.

Fillon is your typical conservative provincial bourgeois, boring but not really dangerous IMO. He was a moderating influence of Sarkozy, when he was Prime Minister.
Catholique bon teint, anti bling bling (pure laine au Québéc ? :D).
Nothing will happen with abortion and homo marriage is not going away. Liberalising surrogate mothers will have to wait for the "Left". ;)

I don't think his free-market propositions will be enforced or are even possible (500,000 civil servants less). More positions are needed in police, prison guards and army but lots of redundant positions exist in the regions (fonction publique territoriale).
The pro-Putin stance is more worrying though it remains to be seen when or if he gets to power if reality forces him to some revisions.

PS: Anglos should be happy, a Welshwoman would be the First Lady if Fillon is elected. ;)

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 28, 2016, 05:27:52 AM
PS: Anglos should be happy, a Welshwoman would be the First Lady if Fillon is elected. ;)

Why would Anglos care about that? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

We need more politicians who are pro bling bling.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 28, 2016, 05:51:26 AM
We need more politicians who are pro bling bling.

French right-wing voters disagree with you on that.

Duque de Bragança

Thoughts on yesterday's vote, in French only:

Et après avoir pleuré Castro, n'oubliez pas d'aller voter Juppé demain pour sauver la gauche.

Some kind of weird convergence.  :hmm:

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 28, 2016, 05:27:52 AM
Catholique bon teint, anti bling bling (pure laine au Québéc ? :D).
pure laine only refers to one's origin: a descendant of French colonists who still speaks french.  It has nothing to do with political opinions.

Duque de Bragança

Well, I don't think Fillon has any foreign origins, archetypal de souche = pure laine, and he still speaks French. :)

viper37

so, who on the left could beat Fillon?  Hollande is not supposed to come back for another round, so who's next?

Actually, aside the first year where he scrapped any chance of making the economy better, I think Hollande hasn't been so bad for the French.