News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Books - do you read the preface/introduction?

Started by Martinus, November 18, 2016, 03:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on November 18, 2016, 08:40:59 AM
A good introduction to a non-fiction book summarises the arguments the author is seeking to make. I find it useful - you know what the agenda is and can evaluate accordingly.

So you wrote your book reports on Sunday night too, huh.

Syt

In ye old pre-internet days, I always made sure to only volunteer for book reports where I knew that the town library had summary + interpretations.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2016, 10:43:37 AM
A good introduction to a non-fiction book summarises the arguments the author is seeking to make. I find it useful - you know what the agenda is and can evaluate accordingly.

Technically, I wrote mine on Monday morning.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2016, 10:43:37 AM

Yeah, we didn't have Wiki in those days. Fucking kids don't know they're born

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

It's part of the book and is usually pretty short so sure.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Ed gets pissy when the tabs don't work on the pop-ups.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

You don't *have* to finish the preface before you go to the bathroom, you know.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Non-fiction prefaces usually bore me, as do fiction forwards by someone other than the author.

Grinning_Colossus

Hell no. Sometimes I just jump 1/3 of the way into a book to spare myself the boring stuff.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?