Canadian Synagogue Defaced with Swastikas and Anti-Semitic Slurs

Started by Jacob, November 17, 2016, 02:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

As it happens, that's my parents' synagogue, so that's pretty close to home for me. They live a few minutes walk away and go there pretty much weekly.

Seems like there's been a sudden surge in anti-Semitic and white supremacist activity this last week or so, including in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/swastika-machzikei-hadas-synagogue-1.3854868

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Ideologue

Quote from: JakeAs it happens, that's my parents' synagogue, so that's pretty close to home for me.

Wow, I'm sorry, Jake.

Though this is new information to me.  Apparently, for the past eleven years, I thought your parents were ethnic Danes who lived in Denmark.  Were you actually born in Canada and I just now learned this?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

citizen k

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on November 17, 2016, 04:17:58 PM
Mom and step dad ya ignorant yokel

Sorry.  I clearly missed that part in the bios we all have on the front page.  (Seriously, I feel bad for not having a clearer idea of Jake's personal history.  Feels like I ought to, right?)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on November 17, 2016, 04:25:40 PM

Sorry.  I clearly missed that part in the bios we all have on the front page.  (Seriously, I feel bad for not having a clearer idea of Jake's personal history.  Feels like I ought to, right?)

I've mentioned it a few times, but a long time ago. I was born in Denmark (single mom! not a big deal in Denmark!). Later my mom met a Canadian diplomat and eventually they got married and we moved to Canada (three days before starting high school in a foreign country, whee!). Step dad is Jewish, she converted. I have Jewish siblings.

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on November 17, 2016, 04:45:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 17, 2016, 04:25:40 PM

I've mentioned it a few times, but a long time ago. I was born in Denmark (single mom! not a big deal in Denmark!). Later my mom met a Canadian diplomat and eventually they got married and we moved to Canada (three days before starting high school in a foreign country, whee!). Step dad is Jewish, she converted. I have Jewish siblings.

Thanks for filling me in. :)

Of course, it's a really shitty context to learn it in.
Kinemalogue