Canadian Synagogue Defaced with Swastikas and Anti-Semitic Slurs

Started by Jacob, November 17, 2016, 02:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 19, 2016, 11:30:58 AM
Oh I'm not advocating the other cheek. Far from it: throw the book at them. But physical intimidation and vigilante justice place you outside the civilized order.

Fuck that "high road" noise.  Curbstomp the shit out of them.

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2016, 11:34:06 AM
Not sure throwing the book at them will happen in my country. :(

Yes, that's a real issue. I really have a huge heart in my place for the US, but the next four years are going to be hard.

Hamilcar

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2016, 11:37:43 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 19, 2016, 11:30:58 AM
Oh I'm not advocating the other cheek. Far from it: throw the book at them. But physical intimidation and vigilante justice place you outside the civilized order.

Fuck that "high road" noise.  Curbstomp the shit out of them.

The world will be a lot better when rival death squads roam the streets, you're right.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 19, 2016, 11:38:40 AM

Yes, that's a real issue. I really have a huge heart in my place for the US, but the next four years are going to be hard.

I just need to keep in mind that we've survived worse....right? :cry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2016, 11:40:01 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 19, 2016, 11:38:40 AM

I just need to keep in mind that we've survived worse....right? :cry:

If people focus on what matters instead of doubling-down on a failed strategy, then yes, things will be (comparatively) ok in the end. I'm not minimizing the fact that there will be casualties, but America isn't about to turn into Nazi Germany either.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2016, 11:17:28 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 19, 2016, 04:24:16 AMReally, vigilante justice? Sounds pretty authoritarian and dismissive of human rights to me.

When dealing with Fascists/ white nationalists trying to physically intimidate and victimize their targets I'm fine with beating them at their own game, yes.
but if they're union thugs trying to physically intimidate and victimize their targets, then you have a problem with it?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 19, 2016, 11:23:27 AMI couldn't disagree more.

I gathered :)

To clarify, I don't think it's the only response - the whole set of civil society responses should be deployed. But when street level racist thugs claim the public space via extra legal methods, then I'm supportive of communities organizing to counter that.

Nor do I think it's the correct response to all manifestations of Fascism/ white nationalism - f. ex. as much as I might loathe an openly white nationalist politician or propagandist I don't support physically attacking them - but I do think it's fine to counter street level intimidation directly.

And finally, when it comes to someone limiting themselves purely to graffiti I don't think - notwithstanding my comment to Ed - that jumping directly to violence is necessary. A "hey what the fuck are you doing, get out of here before we kick you out" is likely sufficient. However, in my experience that only works if you're able and willing to back that up with force because otherwise they'll kick your ass instead.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2016, 11:17:28 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 19, 2016, 04:24:16 AMReally, vigilante justice? Sounds pretty authoritarian and dismissive of human rights to me.

When dealing with Fascists/ white nationalists trying to physically intimidate and victimize their targets I'm fine with beating them at their own game, yes.

It worked in Germany. :thumbsup:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2016, 11:49:45 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 19, 2016, 11:23:27 AMI couldn't disagree more.

I gathered :)

To clarify, I don't think it's the only response - the whole set of civil society responses should be deployed. But when street level racist thugs claim the public space via extra legal methods, then I'm supportive of communities organizing to counter that.

Nor do I think it's the correct response to all manifestations of Fascism/ white nationalism - f. ex. as much as I might loathe an openly white nationalist politician or propagandist I don't support physically attacking them - but I do think it's fine to counter street level intimidation directly.

And finally, when it comes to someone limiting themselves purely to graffiti I don't think - notwithstanding my comment to Ed - that jumping directly to violence is necessary. A "hey what the fuck are you doing, get out of here before we kick you out" is likely sufficient. However, in my experience that only works if you're able and willing to back that up with force because otherwise they'll kick your ass instead.

I think we may be apart only in the ultimate destination. I would view "communities organizing to counter that" as a total failure of civilized society. This is precisely why we give the state the monopoly of violence. Once "communities" assert the right to violence, the state has already started failing like a gangrenous limb.

As noble as the spirit of your community organization is, it legitimizes the violence by the fascists.

CountDeMoney

That's bullshit. Too many times fascists get to win the street battles, because they don't care about losing the court battles.  Romper stompers get their own fucking medicine.
No, you shoot them in the motherfucking face out of the gate.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2016, 04:26:00 AM
Have you met a leftist before?  :huh:

Back when gay bashing was a regular occurrence in my area I also supported people organizing to fight gay bashers.

Is that similarly abhorrent to you?

Jacob

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 19, 2016, 11:41:29 AMIf people focus on what matters instead of doubling-down on a failed strategy, then yes, things will be (comparatively) ok in the end. I'm not minimizing the fact that there will be casualties, but America isn't about to turn into Nazi Germany either.

Do you have room in your heart for people being less phlegmatic if they are likely to be one of the casualties - or if they're close to and care about individuals who are likely to be one of the victims?

Not ending up like Nazi Germany is one thing, but being a casualty still sucks and is ideally avoided.

Re: "failed strategy" - last time Ottawa had noticeably active street level white supremacists - in the 90s - they were countered on the street level and it seemed to produce the desired result, so in this specific instance I don't agree with your assessment that it's a failed strategy.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2016, 11:47:42 AMbut if they're union thugs trying to physically intimidate and victimize their targets, then you have a problem with it?

I'm generally supportive of people resisting intimidation and physical violence, including if it's coming from union thugs. That said, I do think white nationalists/ Fascists are particularly bad for a variety of reasons.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2016, 12:02:14 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 19, 2016, 11:41:29 AMIf people focus on what matters instead of doubling-down on a failed strategy, then yes, things will be (comparatively) ok in the end. I'm not minimizing the fact that there will be casualties, but America isn't about to turn into Nazi Germany either.

Do you have room in your heart for people being less phlegmatic if they are likely to be one of the casualties - or if they're close to and care about individuals who are likely to be one of the victims?

Not ending up like Nazi Germany is one thing, but being a casualty still sucks and is ideally avoided.

Re: "failed strategy" - last time Ottawa had noticeably active street level white supremacists - in the 90s - they were countered on the street level and it seemed to produce the desired result, so in this specific instance I don't agree with your assessment that it's a failed strategy.

I can't really tell if we disagree by all that much....

I'd argue that forming street gangs and finding Trump supporters to beat up would be a fatal strategy. Focus on the media, serve on subpoenas, write editorials, get active in organizations. But don't resort to violence.