News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Registration of Muslims in the US

Started by Jacob, November 16, 2016, 12:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will happen re: registration of Muslims in the US during Trump's presidency

It will briefly be "thought about" and "discussed" once only to disappear and never be mentioned again.
14 (45.2%)
It will regularly be "thought about" and "discussed" to fire up the base, but nothing will happen.
11 (35.5%)
Actual policy proposals will be proposed and the legislative process will start, but in the end it will amount to nothing.
3 (9.7%)
A law will be passed or executive order issued to enable registration (voluntary or not) of at least a subset of Muslims, but the courts will ultimately block it without anyone having to register.
1 (3.2%)
There will be a legal requirement for at least a subset of Muslims to register for an ongoing period, whether or not it survives court challenges.
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

mongers

Interesting poll topic, though Jacob seems to have missed out one option.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on November 16, 2016, 02:52:25 PM
Interesting poll topic, though Jacob seems to have missed out one option.  :hmm:

Which option?

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2016, 03:15:48 PM

Which option?

One saying the majority or all Muslims will be force to register.

Not saying it's likely, that Trump would stick to his campaign boast, but you never know, do we?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on November 16, 2016, 03:22:11 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2016, 03:15:48 PM

Which option?

The Jaron option saying the majority or all Muslims will be forced to register by Jaron.

Not saying it's likely, that Trump would stick to his campaign boast, but you never know, do we?

Fixed! :)

Jacob

It's kind of encapsulated in the last one.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2016, 03:28:28 PM

It's kind of encapsulated in the last one.

Not really, given we've now entered the long run, all option could be on the table?

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2016, 02:47:03 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 16, 2016, 02:07:19 PM
No joke there- is he is at all serious about the federal hiring freeze it's very unlikely he'll hit those numbers.

The agency I am at had their leadership Come To Jesus meeting with the Big Cheeses on Monday AM: come Inauguration Day, immediate hiring freeze across the entire USG except for defense, public safety and public health--just like the Trump campaign said.

What the campaign didn't say is that it is planned for four years.

They need to. Too many GS15 in nitnoid jobs.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Idiotic idea. Hopefully this will be dropped like a hot potato - if Trump is to show himself not to be a total disgraceful joke, he will do it.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2016, 04:04:42 PM
Idiotic idea. Hopefully this will be dropped like a hot potato - if Trump is to show himself not to be a total disgraceful joke, he will do it.

Legally how will be do it?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on November 16, 2016, 04:15:00 PM

No clue - I am not a US lawyer. I just think, politically, it's going to be his suicide (and rightly so). I was hoping for him to become more moderate following his election - sadly, it seems the people around him are too much of a nasty influence on him.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2016, 04:18:11 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 16, 2016, 04:15:00 PM

No clue - I am not a US lawyer. I just think, politically, it's going to be his suicide (and rightly so). I was hoping for him to become more moderate following his election - sadly, it seems the people around him are too much of a nasty influence on him.

This will be dropped if it already hasn't been.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on November 16, 2016, 03:40:36 PM
They need to. Too many GS15 in nitnoid jobs.

Concur;  but that really means eliminating the federal firing freeze, not instituting a federal hiring freeze. :P

Scipio

There's already a dormant Muslim registry; it was enacted under Bush, and Obama discontinued it in 2011 after years of pressure from civil rights groups. Reactivating it is no big deal, legally.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on November 16, 2016, 04:36:23 PM
There's already a dormant Muslim registry; it was enacted under Bush, and Obama discontinued it in 2011 after years of pressure from civil rights groups. Reactivating it is no big deal, legally.
\\
and that's exactly what this guy was talking about - Kobach (the source on this story) helped implement that registry under Bush.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

So registering guns is a gross violation of the Constitution but registering people is legally OK? Stupid Bill of Rights protections.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."