News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Registration of Muslims in the US

Started by Jacob, November 16, 2016, 12:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will happen re: registration of Muslims in the US during Trump's presidency

It will briefly be "thought about" and "discussed" once only to disappear and never be mentioned again.
14 (45.2%)
It will regularly be "thought about" and "discussed" to fire up the base, but nothing will happen.
11 (35.5%)
Actual policy proposals will be proposed and the legislative process will start, but in the end it will amount to nothing.
3 (9.7%)
A law will be passed or executive order issued to enable registration (voluntary or not) of at least a subset of Muslims, but the courts will ultimately block it without anyone having to register.
1 (3.2%)
There will be a legal requirement for at least a subset of Muslims to register for an ongoing period, whether or not it survives court challenges.
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Jacob

Just saw a report that Trump and his team are "mulling over" the Muslim registry. What do you think will happen on this issue during the Trump presidency. Stake your claims now gentlemen.

Hamilcar

Yet another campaign promise that will be dropped like a hot potato.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Here's the current story: https://www.yahoo.com/news/immigration-hardliner-says-trump-team-preparing-plans-wall-015354176.html

QuoteAn architect of anti-immigration efforts who says he is advising President-elect Donald Trump said the new administration could push ahead rapidly on construction of a U.S.-Mexico border wall without seeking immediate congressional approval.

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, who helped write tough immigration laws in Arizona and elsewhere, said in an interview that Trump's policy advisers had also discussed drafting a proposal for his consideration to reinstate a registry for immigrants from Muslim countries.

Kobach, who media reports say is a key member of Trump's transition team, said he had participated in regular conference calls with about a dozen Trump immigration advisers for the past two to three months.

Trump's transition team did not respond to requests for confirmation of Kobach's role. The president-elect has not committed to following any specific recommendations from advisory groups.

Caliga

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 16, 2016, 01:00:50 PM
Yep.  He'll find a way to blame the Democrats or the Supreme Court or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

This particular genius doesn't seem to know the basics of federal appropriations (perhaps like our new President he tired of reading the constitution before reaching Article I), so I wouldn't put a ton of weight on his account.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Yeah, you're missing an option for "never mentioned at all".  Trump even in the campaign backed off on a "muslim ban", instead limiting it to people from countries where terrorism 'is a problem'.

Besides, what is mentioned in the article is a lot less extreme than a "Muslim registry":

QuoteTo implement Trump's call for "extreme vetting" of some Muslim immigrants, Kobach said the immigration policy group could recommend the reinstatement of a national registry of immigrants and visitors who enter the United States on visas from countries where extremist organizations are active.

Kobach helped design the program, known as the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System, while serving in Republican President George W. Bush's Department of Justice after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States by al Qaeda militants.

Under NSEERS, people from countries deemed "higher risk" were required to undergo interrogations and fingerprinting on entering the United States. Some non-citizen male U.S. residents over the age of 16 from countries with active militant threats were required to register in person at government offices and periodically check in.

So Trump proposes bringing back a program that had existed for several years until it was discontinued in 2011 as being redundant.  So it's probably not a useful idea, but probably not a massive violation of people's rights.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on November 16, 2016, 01:07:51 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 16, 2016, 01:00:50 PM
Yep.  He'll find a way to blame the Democrats or the Supreme Court or something.

This is Trump.  He doesn't need excuses.  He'll just pretend he never promised any such thing.

As I understand it the muslim immigration ban / ban on immigration from terrorist countries has disappeared from his transition team website.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

I don't see how difficult it would be to register them anyway;  they're all at work, at school, paying taxes.  You know, like regular Americans.

Richard Hakluyt

One thing I hadn't realised until recently was the level of deportations under Obama :

http://blogs.reuters.com/data-dive/2015/02/25/tracking-obamas-deportation-numbers/

If Trump isn't careful he might manage to deport fewer people  :P

.............and, of course, immigrants from problematic countries tend to undergo vetting already.

.........and there is already, also, a great big fence for much of the border with Mexico https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico%E2%80%93United_States_barrier

:hmm:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2016, 01:10:59 PM
Yeah, you're missing an option for "never mentioned at all".  Trump even in the campaign backed off on a "muslim ban", instead limiting it to people from countries where terrorism 'is a problem'.
I beleive he said "problematic countries".  If they happen to exclusively be countries were muslim are the majority, it's simply a coincidence.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 16, 2016, 01:30:57 PM
One thing I hadn't realised until recently was the level of deportations under Obama :

http://blogs.reuters.com/data-dive/2015/02/25/tracking-obamas-deportation-numbers/

No joke there- is he is at all serious about the federal hiring freeze it's very unlikely he'll hit those numbers.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 16, 2016, 02:07:19 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 16, 2016, 01:30:57 PM

No joke there- is he is at all serious about the federal hiring freeze it's very unlikely he'll hit those numbers.

I'm only laughing because it is preferable to crying.

alfred russel

It wouldn't be bad if Trump pushed for something both extreme and really bad to start off, just to destroy any honeymoon and effectively nullify his control of congress (vulnerable members may be registered GOP, but will be reluctant to follow a deeply unpopular president).

But I am not sure Muslim registration or immigration bans would be viewed by the public as such.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 16, 2016, 02:07:19 PM

The agency I am at had their leadership Come To Jesus meeting with the Big Cheeses on Monday AM: come Inauguration Day, immediate hiring freeze across the entire USG except for defense, public safety and public health--just like the Trump campaign said.

What the campaign didn't say is that it is planned for four years.