News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is this true? Black slave masters

Started by Siege, November 16, 2016, 07:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on November 16, 2016, 12:15:48 PM
Yeah, well you and the rest of us are history nerds.  I would bet most people are unaware that some blacks themselves had slaves.

Why is it important that some black people had slaves during the slavery period of US history? What's the significance?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2016, 12:55:27 PM
Yeah, well you and the rest of us are history nerds.  I would bet most people are unaware that some blacks themselves had slaves.

Why is it important that some black people had slaves during the slavery period of US history? What's the significance?

It's not.  That's part of what makes it a quirk.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2016, 12:55:27 PM

Yes that is the bigger issue.  It doesn't take great imagination to see what axes are being ground there.

I've noticed that a few of my fellow co-religionists have some willingness to give consideration to racist or white supremacist arguments of this nature; there seems to be a bit more of that going around lately.  It shouldn't be necessary to have to explain the problem with this or appeal to self-interest.  But just in case - if for no other reason than self-interest, this is a really terrible idea.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on November 16, 2016, 01:04:59 PM

Siegy - and the people he's sourcing his info from - seem to impart the quirk with some significance.

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 16, 2016, 01:06:38 PM
I've noticed that a few of my fellow co-religionists have some willingness to give consideration to racist or white supremacist arguments of this nature; there seems to be a bit more of that going around lately.  It shouldn't be necessary to have to explain the problem with this or appeal to self-interest.  But just in case - if for no other reason than self-interest, this is a really terrible idea.

"Did you know that Jewish intellectuals were disproportionately represented in Bolshevik leadership?"
Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2016, 01:07:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 16, 2016, 01:04:59 PM

Siegy - and the people he's sourcing his info from - seem to impart the quirk with some significance.

Okay, I'll let him answer that then.  So is this like the new Black Confederate Soldiers thing?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on November 16, 2016, 01:13:09 PM
Okay, I'll let him answer that then.  So is this like the new Black Confederate Soldiers thing?

What's the "Black Confederate Soldiers thing"?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2016, 01:14:13 PM

That there were black confederate soldiers, which meant that some blacks supported the CSA, which meant that the civil war wasn't really about slavery.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2016, 01:15:43 PM
That there were black confederate soldiers, which meant that some blacks supported the CSA, which meant that the civil war wasn't really about slavery.

Seems pretty similar then, yeah.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2016, 01:14:13 PM

A few years ago there was book (or books) written that claimed large numbers of blacks fought in the Confederate army.  Became a popular notion in some circles.  Consensus among most historians seems to be that the large majority of whatever number 'served' as cooks, teamsters, etc. and probably only a handful actually took up arms.

Duque de Bragança

As for fact 2, Oriental (to include arabic, turkish and other muslims) slave trade vs Atlantic slave trade, people like Tidane N'Diaye https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidiane_N%27Diaye have been writing on the subject, namely his book The Veiled Genocide, explained by the typical castrating practices of the oriental slavers, which explains in part why there are not so many black populations in the Middle East.

Estimates are hard to come by for the Oriental Slave trade but slave trade historian Olivier Pétré-Grenouilleau offers some figures : 11 million for the atlantic, 17 million plus an even harder number to evaluate of intra-african slave trade (14 millions).

So fact 2 is more or less true it but needs some context and dwarfed is not the right word given the figures involved. The oriental slave trade is more known nowadays but yes muslim countries avoid the subject and some African countries look the other way for political reasons.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on November 16, 2016, 12:09:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2016, 11:16:39 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 16, 2016, 10:46:28 AM
I'm not Siege, but to me it's just one of those interesting historical quirks that contradicts the general narrative. 

What is the general narrative that is being contradicted?

That no blacks benefited from the system.  But I see Languish is already trying to put words in my mouth.
I think the general narrative is that blacks of this time had it worst than whites of this time.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2016, 12:53:46 PM

I'm saddened by how it is cool now to go about with one's ignorance. I miss when it was shameful to be so openly ignorant. :(

Yeah well my grandfather used to reminisce about the days when you could get a coke for a nickel. It just made him look old and out of date.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2016, 12:53:46 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 16, 2016, 12:35:39 PM

There is a huge difference between being unaware that some blacks had slaves, and believing your "general narrative" that  "no blacks benefited from the system."  Most people who are not auto nerds are unaware that a Chevrolet 454 Big Block produced 255 hp, but there is no "general narrative" that  "no pickup truck engine ever produced over 250hp."

I'm saddened by how it is cool now to go about with one's ignorance. I miss when it was shameful to be so openly ignorant. :(
it's the post-truth era.  Deal with it!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2016, 01:16:41 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2016, 01:15:43 PM

Seems pretty similar then, yeah.

Kind of, but not really.

There's fairly decent evidence that blacks did own slaves - partly (as mentioned by Viper) as a way to protect family members.

There's not really good evidence that blacks acted as soldiers.  That black slaves acted as manual labour / cooks?  Yes.  But taking up arms the evidence is scant, and fighting as uniformed soldiers there's not one shred of evidence.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.