News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stunning Images of Black Sea Shipwrecks

Started by Malthus, November 15, 2016, 10:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The Black Sea's waters are anoxic, and the sea was heavily traversed since antiquity. So there are lots of amazing shipwrecks on the bottom, in amazing condition. Check this out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/science/shipwrecks-black-sea-archaeology.html?hpw&rref=science&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=2
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

I'm actually more interested in why a huge body of water with access to other oceans can be anoxic. 

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

"The great rivers of Eastern Europe — the Don, the Danube, the Dnieper — pour so much fresh water into the sea that a permanent layer forms over denser, salty water from the Mediterranean. As a result, oxygen from the atmosphere that mixes readily with fresh water never penetrates the inky depths."

The Brain

Cool.

I recently visited the Vasa museum again. They should totally raise some of the better wrecks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

these are beautiful pictures.  Very interesting article Malthus! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

To be fair, one of the reasons they are in such good shape is that they are mostly Bulgarian warships scuttled in the 1990's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2016, 07:50:50 PM
To be fair, one of the reasons they are in such good shape is that they are mostly Bulgarian warships scuttled in the 1990's.

:lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

Very cool  :cool:

An a less positive note, the three Dutch warschips sunk in the battle of Java Sea have been found to have vanished from the seabed.
Something similar happened to the Australian and American wrecks from the battle, and to a lesser extent to Repulse and Prince of Wales.

Fucking scavengers  :ultra: