Abortion vs. sex education and contraception access

Started by Martinus, November 14, 2016, 10:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you support restricting access to abortion if ("liberal") sex education and contraception were universally accessible (please read OP)

Yes
4 (17.4%)
No
19 (82.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2016, 04:54:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2016, 12:26:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 12:23:06 PM
I take it you're against warning labels on cigarettes and alcohol as well then?  Or Public Service Announcements?

Providing information but leaving the final choice with the individual seems perfectly in keeping with LIBERTY (got be sure to use all caps).

Requiring counseling isn't about providing information, it is about intimidating women into not having an abortion.

Come on, it's entirely likely the woman has turned up at the abortion clinic on a whim, it's not as if she's given it much consideration in the previous weeks or god forbid have spoken to a family member or friends for advice.
:blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

So, who makes the determination that the pregnancy is the result of rape?  Do you need a copy of a conviction in hand, or do you adjudicate it separately, under a preponderance of the evidence standard?  Or do we just take her word for it?  (Yeah, right, I'm sure that's happening in Kansas, dude.)

And who makes the determination that the fetus is "significantly damaged"?  A doctor?  A priest?  The mother?  The father?  Because what does "damaged" mean?  What does "significant" mean?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

And, yeah, some of you folks may remember I used to be anti-abortion long ago, but I decided my logic was pretty facile.  At the end of the day, the only thing about abortion that really bothers me at all is the fact that women have a legal exit plan for pregnancies and men don't.  That's an equality problem that I don't have the first idea how to solve, short of giving each unwilling father an opportunity to bash their newborn's brains in with a rock.  In any event, it's a much more interesting moral quandary.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on November 14, 2016, 05:41:46 PM
And, yeah, some of you folks may remember I used to be anti-abortion long ago, but I decided my logic was pretty facile.  At the end of the day, the only thing about abortion that really bothers me at all is the fact that women have a legal exit plan for pregnancies and men don't.  That's an equality problem that I don't have the first idea how to solve, short of giving each unwilling father an opportunity to bash their newborn's brains in with a rock.  In any event, it's a much more interesting moral quandary.
Women get the majority vote, men get a say too.
Neither want abortion - all ok
Both want it - all ok
Woman wants it but man doesn't - poor guy. Woman's will trumps his and it goes ahead.
Man wants it but woman doesn't - man signs away all legal links to the baby, pays a hefty fine, woman gets to have kid without the guy being involved.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on November 14, 2016, 05:41:46 PM
Man has the option to walk away.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2016, 09:10:50 PM

Women can win elections without men. Which is confusing right now.   :P

I think the key to Ide's concerns though is male birth control. If dudes had to remember to take a pill every day then things would be more fair.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2016, 05:13:44 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2016, 04:54:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2016, 12:26:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 12:23:06 PM
I take it you're against warning labels on cigarettes and alcohol as well then?  Or Public Service Announcements?

Providing information but leaving the final choice with the individual seems perfectly in keeping with LIBERTY (got be sure to use all caps).

Requiring counseling isn't about providing information, it is about intimidating women into not having an abortion.

Come on, it's entirely likely the woman has turned up at the abortion clinic on a whim, it's not as if she's given it much consideration in the previous weeks or god forbid have spoken to a family member or friends for advice.
:blush:
In BB's defense, counseling for an abortion in Canada really means counseling.  It's not a meeting with 20 people from your Church to advise you on the best way to repent your sin.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 14, 2016, 10:33:05 PM

I think the key to Ide's concerns though is male birth control. If dudes had to remember to take a pill every day then things would be more fair.

Pretty much. Men can utilize birth control too.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 14, 2016, 05:36:46 PM
So, who makes the determination that the pregnancy is the result of rape?  Do you need a copy of a conviction in hand, or do you adjudicate it separately, under a preponderance of the evidence standard?  Or do we just take her word for it?  (Yeah, right, I'm sure that's happening in Kansas, dude.)

And who makes the determination that the fetus is "significantly damaged"?  A doctor?  A priest?  The mother?  The father?  Because what does "damaged" mean?  What does "significant" mean?

The way it works in Poland, you get a certificate from a public prosecutor for the former that the rape has been substantiated (obviously, waiting for a court ruling would not work), and you need opinions from two doctors on the latter. The statute does not simply state "significant damage" but there is a more extensive language involved (basically, inability to survive unassisted and such).

Ideologue

Quote from: Solmyr on November 15, 2016, 10:11:04 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 14, 2016, 10:33:05 PM

Pretty much. Men can utilize birth control too.

Pulling out ain't hard.

Quote from: MartThe way it works in Poland, you get a certificate from a public prosecutor for the former that the rape has been substantiated (obviously, waiting for a court ruling would not work), and you need opinions from two doctors on the latter. The statute does not simply state "significant damage" but there is a more extensive language involved (basically, inability to survive unassisted and such).

Sounds lame, with a major potential to circumscribe the right to an abortion even within the exempted classes thus carved out.  It also seems like a lot of extra government work, plus a greater burden on the healthcare system.
Kinemalogue

Martinus

Hey, I never said it's a good system. It was meant as a compromise - which the Catholics are now intending to break.