News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

what's next for Paradox?

Started by Maladict, November 13, 2016, 12:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Bottom line of the presentation and short Q&A was they're in a good spot, aim at a cycle of several game releases (like 2-4) per year (in house or external), plus 10 or so add ons. No new title new ready to be announced.  They hired a person to look into the possibilities of mobile gaming for them, but Fredrick was quick to stress that they will remain PC focused.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Microtransactions are where the profits lie?
██████
██████
██████

sbr

I doubt many companies use microtransactions for the positive public relations.

Zanza

That's the beautiful thing about a digital product. You have fixed costs to develop it, but every additional copy you sell is basically pure profit.

Microsoft has operating margins well over 90% for Windows and Office. That's how the finance all their other less successful divisions. ;)

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on November 14, 2016, 12:39:29 PM
That's the beautiful thing about a digital product. You have fixed costs to develop it, but every additional copy you sell is basically pure profit.

Yup. Fredrick and his CFO also mentioned that the recent Paradox Publisher Weekend on Steam gave their revenue and very notable bump, and that they're one of the larger publishers on Steam now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

There was a photo somewhere that showed that both Stellaris and HoI4 were among the top 10 games on Steam this year.

Grey Fox

Where you guys talking Paradox the publisher or the dev?

Because while I have no idea what the dev is doing, the publisher is keeping busy. Tyranny just came out.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

They're really bad at investing lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Quote from: HVC on November 14, 2016, 04:21:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that includes their acquisitions...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

I assumed it was interest on debt.

The Minsky Moment

Capital expenditures on plant, property or equipment are usually treated as an investment cash flow. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2016, 12:42:09 PM

Capital expenditures on plant, property or equipment are usually treated as an investment cash flow.

:yes:

Isn't HVC an accountant?  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

This place is full of "accountants" and "lawyers".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point