2017 impeachment - because it's never too early

Started by DGuller, November 11, 2016, 10:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: LaCroix on November 15, 2016, 01:18:23 PM
it means hillary truly ran a terrible campaign

I don't think she ran a terrible campaign.  :huh:

I thought her campaign was just fine.  I mean, I wish she would have tacked more to the centre rather than running to the left, but running to the left isn't an objectively horrible strategy either.

She was a pretty bad candidate, but that's a different issue.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on November 15, 2016, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2016, 06:54:29 AM
My move to the "right" was largely caused by me being repelled by the mainstream left adopting the "alt left" positions on things such as safe spaces, trigger warnings, language policing and general hostility they seem to hold against various views informed by liberty.
You way overshot your target then.

Does that stuff even happen in Poland?

Quite frankly, one would think one would worry more about one's own faggot ass in the politically hostile environment of one's own faggot-hating country than what one reads about happening at, say, UCLA, on the internet.  If one were so inclined.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2016, 01:23:22 PM

Bingo.  Although one thing I'll say is that her campaign probably invested too much time going negative on Teh Donald (PBUH) and too little time talking about actual issues.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

LaCroix

I thought her campaign was just fine.  I mean, I wish she would have tacked more to the centre rather than running to the left, but running to the left isn't an objectively horrible strategy either.

one example of her terrible campaigning is her mishandling of the entire email affair. this greatly contributed to peoples' negative impression of her. I don't think she was doomed as a candidate, but the way she ran her campaign doomed her.

Barrister

There was an interesting article in NRO that argues CLinton's win in the popular vote is (mostly) meaningless.

The point was that both candidates knew that the election was going to be won in the Electoral College, and both candidates tailored their campaigns accordingly.  There was a reason they spent so much time in places like Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania - these were swing states, where just a relative handful of votes could make a massive difference.

If the election was held purely by popular vote though, the campaigns would be very different.  It would be about maximizing turnout no matter where.  No one is going to bother with New Hampshire, for example.  Instead CLinton will do event after event on the west coast, trying to drive up turnout.  Trump would do event after event in Texas trying to do the same.

It would be a very different kind of election, and nobody could say for sure what the outcome would have been.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/442170/hillary-clinton-popular-vote-victory-meaningless

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on November 15, 2016, 01:28:42 PM

Bingo.  Although one thing I'll say is that her campaign probably invested too much time going negative on Teh Donald (PBUH) and too little time talking about actual issues.

I thought there was an odd tension in how she campaigned.  She spent a lot of time talking about how uniquely unqualified Trump was (which I agree with).  But by saying that you seem to be making an appeal to moderate Republican voters to switch to the democrats.  But then her campaign platform (influenced by the Primary race) was pretty hard-left, with things like free tuition.  And that would likely repel moderate Republican voters.

She never fully committed to "turn out the Obama base" versus "play for the middle".

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2016, 01:32:00 PM
There was an interesting article in NRO that argues CLinton's win in the popular vote is (mostly) meaningless.

The point was that both candidates knew that the election was going to be won in the Electoral College, and both candidates tailored their campaigns accordingly.  There was a reason they spent so much time in places like Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania - these were swing states, where just a relative handful of votes could make a massive difference.

If the election was held purely by popular vote though, the campaigns would be very different.  It would be about maximizing turnout no matter where.  No one is going to bother with New Hampshire, for example.  Instead CLinton will do event after event on the west coast, trying to drive up turnout.  Trump would do event after event in Texas trying to do the same.

It would be a very different kind of election, and nobody could say for sure what the outcome would have been.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/442170/hillary-clinton-popular-vote-victory-meaningless

Yep I think that's true. Same with Dem primary in 08

Though I'm not sure here if Trump would have done much differently. His ca.painting was erratic at best.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on November 15, 2016, 01:31:10 PM

one example of her terrible campaigning is her mishandling of the entire email affair. this greatly contributed to peoples' negative impression of her. I don't think she was doomed as a candidate, but the way she ran her campaign doomed her.

You are being naive. Do I think she could have handle that issue better? Sure. Do I think that would have made a difference? No. The narrative about lying Hillary Clinton has existed for over 2 decades. Different handling of the email issue (beyond not doing it in the first place) wouldn't have made any difference. It isn't what suddenly made people think she is untrustworthy.

Just look at Benghazi and how much time and money was spent investigating that and though nothing was ever uncovered she's still tarred by many has having behaved shiftily and did the wrong thing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2016, 01:40:09 PM

Though I'm not sure here if Trump would have done much differently. His ca.painting was erratic at best.

His campaigning in Michigan and Wisconsin apparently paid off though.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2016, 01:45:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2016, 01:40:09 PM

His campaigning in Michigan and Wisconsin apparently paid off though.

Not sure how you can draw that to any clear extent.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2016, 01:44:19 PM
You are being naive. Do I think she could have handle that issue better? Sure. Do I think that would have made a difference? No. The narrative about lying Hillary Clinton has existed for over 2 decades. Different handling of the email issue (beyond not doing it in the first place) wouldn't have made any difference. It isn't what suddenly made people think she is untrustworthy.

Just look at Benghazi and how much time and money was spent investigating that and though nothing was ever uncovered she's still tarred by many has having behaved shiftily and did the wrong thing.

Well, she could have in the summer of 2015 given a full apology and, what's more, released very lightly redacted copies of every single email sent and received.  It would have eliminated the steady drip-drip-drip from both Russia/Wikileaks, and from Comey's investigation.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2016, 01:46:51 PM

Well, she could have in the summer of 2015 given a full apology and, what's more, released very lightly redacted copies of every single email sent and received.  It would have eliminated the steady drip-drip-drip from both Russia/Wikileaks, and from Comey's investigation.

Or we would have had months of pouring over the emails with analysis and rumors about how she still had unreleased emails then had the FBI investigation and drip by drip the full emails leaked.

Caliga

Fundamentally, she was too flawed of a candidate.  I think she ran a decent campaign but she couldn't overcome all of the 'Crooked Hillary' bullshit.  The party made a huge mistake by just giving the nomination to her.  Bernie's success in the primary helped illustrate what a big mistake it was.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

LaCroix

Quote from: LaCroix on November 15, 2016, 01:31:10 PM

she had weaknesses and her campaign failed to overcome those weaknesses. I don't think her campaign adequately fit what she needed to do. I'm not calling the overall message of the campaign  terrible, I'm saying she ran a terrible campaign for her particular circumstances. as another example, she didn't hit WI, MI, and PA enough when she should have known she was weak there.