News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Leonard Cohen

Started by The Larch, November 10, 2016, 08:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

2016 keeps on taking music geniouses to the big jam in the sky...

Tonitrus

:(

He had just released a new album not too long ago...with quite a bit of a theme about being near the end.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 10, 2016, 08:54:36 PM

He had just released a new album not too long ago...with quite a bit of a theme about being near the end.

Yes, the album is called "You want it darker" and was published a few weeks ago, prophetic indeed.

Marianne Ihlen, his muse back in the 60s and the woman for whom he wrote "So long, Marianne", passed away this summer, and in her funeral a letter by Cohen was read, in which it was quite clear that he was indeed very close to the end.

QuoteWell Marianne it's come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine. And you know that I've always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don't need to say anything more about that because you know all about that. But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road.

fromtia

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Yeah sorta like David Bowie, he kinds new he was gonna die as he was making the album.

Gutted.  :cry:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Wow that sucks.  :cry:

Maybe the Apocalipse is really impending and all the artists gifted with the divine spark are evacuating the ship.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Larch on November 10, 2016, 09:02:32 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 10, 2016, 08:54:36 PM

Yes, the album is called "You want it darker" and was published a few weeks ago, prophetic indeed.

Marianne Ihlen, his muse back in the 60s and the woman for whom he wrote "So long, Marianne", passed away this summer, and in her funeral a letter by Cohen was read, in which it was quite clear that he was indeed very close to the end.

QuoteWell Marianne it's come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine. And you know that I've always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don't need to say anything more about that because you know all about that. But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road.

Yes, there were some articles published around that time that made it clear that he expected to die fairly soon.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk