Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2021, 09:49:19 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 04, 2021, 09:36:18 AM
What would you rank first?

Not sure.  This Georgia call makes the short list.  So does Ukraine aid.

What do you thiink?

All the anti-free trade stuff, and cheapening of the presidential office, I guess.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2021, 05:12:15 PM
It seems to me they could just be "look, I don't want anything to do with this mess" rather than principled opposition.

That's what I was thinking.  "I don't want to be disbarred/go to jail."

Tonitrus

Also probable "I still want a legal career, and it's better to go out quietly and hope everyone forgets my name".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2021, 09:30:18 AM
If I were to rank Trump's wrongdoings by seriousness I would put debasing the Presidential Serving of Freedom Fries dead last.  It has always been a nothingburger.

It really is. It is kind of too bad the only award that really matters is the Congressional Medal of Honor and that is strictly a combat military award. We don't really have a big time civilian award that has equivalent prestige.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2021, 11:26:33 PM
If I were to rank Trump's wrongdoings by seriousness I would put debasing the Presidential Serving of Freedom Fries dead last.  It has always been a nothingburger.

the Congressional Medal of Honor

:bleeding:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 04, 2021, 11:35:41 PM

the Congressional Medal of Honor

:bleeding:

Oh for fucksake did I make some technical error there? You know what I mean.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor

QuoteThe medal is normally awarded by the President of the United States, but as it is presented "in the name of the United States Congress" and is often referred to as the "Congressional Medal of Honor".

Ah ha! I was referring to it in an oftenly done way. So suck it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

It really is. It is kind of too bad the only award that really matters is the Congressional Medal of Honor and that is strictly a combat military award. We don't really have a big time civilian award that has equivalent prestige.

Argh!  :mad:  Please never refer to the Medal of Honor as the "Congressional Medal of Honor" ever again!

I don't know why it bugs me so much that people don't know the actual name of the highest award of bravery given by the US armed Forces, but it does.   Nothing else triggers me like that.

Free tip to assuage any guilt you might feel: there are actually THREE different Medals of Honor:  the naval Medal of Honor, given to USN and USMC types, and the military Medal of Honor, given to USA and USAF types.  The Air Force Medal of honor came only in the late 1960s.

Trivia:  it is simply referred to as "The Medal" in naval and military circles.   The only winner of The Medal I knew wore only the ribbon when in full dress; none of his other ribbons.  I don't now how general that practice was, but it impressed the fuck out of me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2021, 11:37:17 PM

"I was ignorant and now will defend my ignorance with arrogance"

First Rule of Holes.

Also: "oftenly"?  Really?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Jesus Christ you guys  :lol:
Quote from: grumbler on January 04, 2021, 11:53:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2021, 11:37:17 PM

"I was ignorant and now will defend my ignorance with arrogance"

First Rule of Holes.

Also: "oftenly"?  Really?

What is the second rule of holes?

Yes I was joking. Hence why I used nonsense words. I would think the whole tone of that post was I was making fun of the fact that that was the part you guys jumped on. :lol:

But to the point: nobody flipped out at Yi calling it the "Presidential Serving of Freedom Fries" because nobody gives a fuck about the highest civilian award. Which was the point I was making. The other medal is so sacred that referring to it by a common colloquialism will provoke outrage...well ok not outrage but bleeding face smilies.

The Minsky Moment

Although it may be true that the Preisdential Medal of Freedom has the whiff of the political version of the Emmy for best young actor in a Daytime series, that isn't reason to drag the things into the mud of Jim Crazier Than Jones Jordan and Devin Nudnik.

My best hope is that Biden responds by giving his first award to Devin Nunes' Cow.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maladict

What did Scotland do to deserve this?  :lol:

QuoteOfficial plane used by Trump will fly to Scotland just before Biden inauguration – report

Arrival of military plane president has occasionally used fuels questions over Trump's plans for 20 January

First published on Mon 4 Jan 2021 23.03 GMT

The murk surrounding Donald Trump's likely whereabouts on his last day as president has thickened considerably with news that an official plane he has used in the past is due to fly to Scotland the day before Joe Biden's inauguration.

Trump himself is sticking to his refusal to accept his decisive electoral defeat. He has been caught cajoling election officials to "find" thousands of extra votes and is encouraging his supporters to gather for a "wild" day of protest on Wednesday when Congress is due to ratify the result.

The White House has refused to say what he will do when Biden is inaugurated on 20 January, raising the question of whether Trump will even leave the building voluntarily.

Most Trump-watchers expect him to dodge any event that would involve acknowledging his election loss. They predict he will stage a spectacular diversion to detract from Biden's first day on the job.

Many versions of that scenario have the outgoing president flying to his private club in Florida, Mar-a-Lago. But Scotland's Sunday Post has reported that Prestwick airport, near Trump's Turnberry golf course resort, has been told to expect a US military Boeing 757 that has occasionally been used by Trump, on 19 January.

The report said that speculation over a possible inauguration day drama has been fuelled by sightings of US military surveillance aircraft circling Turnberry for a week in November, doing possible advance work.

"It is usually a sign Trump is going to be somewhere for an extended period," the Post quoted an unnamed source as saying.

The 757 is a smaller, narrower plane than the Boeing 747-200Bs that are normally designated Air Force One. It is more often used by the vice-president and first lady, Melania Trump, than the president.

There was no immediate response to requests for comment from the White House or Prestwick airport.

Leaving the country before formally leaving office would be unprecedented for a US president.

Flying to Scotland before 20 January would be a way to get US taxpayers to pay for the first leg of a post-presidential holiday. It is also possible the flight was booked as a contingency by a candidate surprised by defeat and unsure what to do.

Multiple reports suggest he will face severe difficulties in his heavily indebted business empire.

New accounts published on Monday showed Trump's array of golf properties in Scotland lost £3.4m in 2019, though Trump Turnberry showed a modest profit.

Meanwhile his neighbours at Mar-a-Lago have launched a legal effort to stop him moving there full-time, saying he is precluded by an agreement he signed in the early 1990s converting the estate from a private residence to a club.

Wherever Trump goes on 20 January, it is unlikely the exit will be quiet or particularly dignified. But it will be unlike any presidential departure the country has ever witnessed.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

:lol: Sturgeon has been asked about this:
QuotePhilip Sim
@BBCPhilipSim
Asked about rumours Donald Trump might come to Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon says "I hope and expect that the immediate travel plan he has is to exit the White House, but beyond that I don't know...coming to play golf is not what I would consider an essential purpose" (for travel)
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Great, I suppose you won't allow us to extradite him either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017