News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Foolme once, shame on you. Fool me hundreds of times over 4 years, shame on me.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

Trump does have this uncanny ability to make people, not even necessarily his fans, see something in him that is just not there and has never been there.  It's like people's default expectations of how they expect others to act can never be fully adjusted by the observations of just how Trump himself is in fact acting.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on October 01, 2020, 10:29:32 AM
Trump does have this uncanny ability to make people, not even necessarily his fans, see something in him that is just not there and has never been there.  It's like people's default expectations of how they expect others to act can never be fully adjusted by the observations of just how Trump himself is in fact acting.
I think part of it is almost psychological. Like people want to respect the president and assume the best which is really tough to reconcile with the really existing president at this moment.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2020, 10:32:43 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 01, 2020, 10:29:32 AM
I think part of it is almost psychological. Like people want to respect the president and assume the best which is really tough to reconcile with the really existing president at this moment.
There are probably many parts, and this is one of many.  Another part I suspect is people's reluctance to reach conclusions that are normally unorthodox.  There is a name for that bias, but it escapes me now, where people would prefer to be wrong as part of majority rather than be wrong due to adopting an unconventional view.

My dad, who is not a Trumpist, always drives me crazy with arguments like "you can't get to where Trump got to if you are X", where X is some cartoonishly bad quality.  Maybe it's wise to rely on that prior up to a point, to account for the possibility that your judgment about X is wrong, but beyond a certain point you should take observed behavior into account instead of continuing with your assessment based on general expectations.

alfred russel

It doesn't really matter if Wallace was surprised. The debate served its purpose and Wallace did his job--the debate reexposed Trump as a boor who ignores the rules of civil discourse (even when he agreed to them up front). It also showed the falsity of the Trump campaign claims that Biden is suffering from dementia.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany, in discussing Amy Coney Barrett, says that Barrett is a "Rhodes Scholar".

ACB did not study at Oxford on a Rhodes scholarship - rather she got he BA from Rhodes College in Tennessee.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

It just shows how reflexive mendacity has become for this administration.  Whatever concerns people have about Judge Barrett, they have nothing to do with her academic bona fides, which are impeccable. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 01, 2020, 12:32:28 PM
It just shows how reflexive mendacity has become for this administration.  Whatever concerns people have about Judge Barrett, they have nothing to do with her academic bona fides, which are impeccable.

Yep, she clerked, not sure why anyone needs to look any further into her academic background.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2020, 11:48:08 AM
Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany, in discussing Amy Coney Barrett, says that Barrett is a "Rhodes Scholar".

ACB did not study at Oxford on a Rhodes scholarship - rather she got he BA from Rhodes College in Tennessee.

McEnany, when later on corrected by a reporter, says "Attended Rhodes College. So, my bad."
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2020, 04:26:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2020, 11:48:08 AM

McEnany, when later on corrected by a reporter, says "Attended Rhodes College. So, my bad."

Lolz, I was wrong!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Notre Dame grads deserve no assumptions about even basic competence.  She could be the smartest person ever to graduate from there and still be a moron.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

So I'm not sure about this example, but I don't think it's mendacity because that's almost too conscientious. It's just indifference to whether things are true or not.

It's the administration of an estate agent, who'll say whatever he needs to to make the sale and doesn't really care beyond that. So it doesn't matter if it's right, it doesn't matter if it's the opposite of what you said last week, nothing matters. It's the West Wing interpreted by David Mamet.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: grumbler on October 01, 2020, 05:27:15 PM
Notre Dame grads deserve no assumptions about even basic competence.  She could be the smartest person ever to graduate from there and still be a moron.
ie. Dorsey
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

I repeat, she was a clerk.  Morons don't get to be clerks.  Only morons would question or attempt to buttress the academic bona fides of a clerk.  Both seem to be happening.