News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

To be honest I'd shut down all chat of politics or whatever my social media platform was and focus on building up other audiences. Even if social media platforms are liable, Pinterest and Instagram are generally going to be far lower risk.

Although, no doubt, I'll now discover there's a huge number of horrifying terrorist Pinterest boards :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 29, 2020, 04:39:06 AM
To be honest I'd shut down all chat of politics or whatever my social media platform was and focus on building up other audiences. Even if social media platforms are liable, Pinterest and Instagram are generally going to be far lower risk.

Although, no doubt, I'll now discover there's a huge number of horrifying terrorist Pinterest boards :ph34r:

Define "all chat of politics" :P

Keep in mind that if a movie or game has a protagonist that's not a white straight male you will get a small but vocal crowd whining that politics have no place in movies/games. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-trump-shares-video-of-supporter-saying-the-only-good-democrat-is-a-dead-democrat/

QuoteTrump shares video of supporter saying "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat"

President Trump on Thursday retweeted a video of a supporter saying that the "only good Democrat is a dead Democrat." The man in the video is a New Mexico politician who faced calls to resign after making the remark earlier this month.

Mr. Trump at midnight retweeted a video from Cowboys For Trump featuring the group's founder, Couy Griffin, who is also the Otero County commissioner. The clip shows Griffin speaking to a crowd of supporters.

"I've come to a place where I've come to the conclusion that the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat," Griffin says in the first seconds of the clip, drawing cheers and applause.

"I don't say that in the physical sense, and I can already see where the videos getting edited where it says I want to go murder Democrats," Griffin continues. "No. I say that in the political sense because the Democrat agenda and policy is anti-American right now."

Moments later, Griffin again says that "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat," but adds that he's "saying it politically-speaking" and that he's calling for conservative candidates to take the majorities in New Mexico's government.

Mr. Trump did not comment directly on what Griffin says in the video, writing only, "Thank you Cowboys. See you in New Mexico!"

CBS News asked Griffin Thursday if he stood by his statement in the video and he replied, "Well, no." He said did not wish "physical harm on any individual person." He also said he'd been receiving death threats in response to the video.

"I've got a lot of friends who are Democrats, and I don't wish ill on them," he said. Later he added, "I don't wish them ill, I don't wish death upon on them, but I sure don't think they do our country any justice."

But Griffin also said there were some Democrats in Washington and in statehouses who may have committed "treason," and people guilty of treason face "a firing squad" or "the end of the rope." Griffin has a history of comments saying Democratic lawmakers should be hanged or executed.

The video shows Griffin speaking at a rally in a church in May 17, where he defied a public safety order for the coronavirus pandemic. Politicians in New Mexico had already called for Griffin to step down when the video first circulated.

"The County Commissioner's comment is despicable, indefensible, and un-American," New Mexico's House Speaker Brian Egolf, a Democrat, said on Twitter. "He represents Rs, Ds, and Independents. He should immediately apologize and resign."

The New Mexico GOP indirectly commented on Griffin's video, issuing a statement saying, "The Republican Party of New Mexico wants to state for the record that any statements, whether in jest or serious about harming another individual are just plain wrong."

Griffin told CBS News he would not resign.

Speaking about President Trump tweeting his video, Griffin said, "It really means a lot to me, because I know that the president of the United States has my back."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

The death of twitter will be a net positive.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

His latest:

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
CHINA!
9:01 AM · May 29, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

And his supporters are accusing Biden of senility . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I feel he's unraveling faster than before.
—Stephen Jay Gould

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2020, 02:52:56 AM
Also:

That actually didn't glorify violence though.

Also, the Twitter statement, "has determined that it may" is really mealy mouthed.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2020, 08:24:44 AM
That actually didn't glorify violence though.

Also, the Twitter statement, "has determined that it may" is really mealy mouthed.

The hidden text is "....These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won't let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!"
—Stephen Jay Gould

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2020, 08:28:16 AM
The hidden text is "....These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won't let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!"

The subtext I detected was "black people are rioting and the democrats don't have the strength to keep them under control. i do, and I am so hardcore i'm maybe even going to call up the military."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

The Larch

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2020, 09:00:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2020, 08:28:16 AM

The subtext I detected was "black people are rioting and the democrats don't have the strength to keep them under control. i do, and I am so hardcore i'm maybe even going to call up the military."

What fucking subtext? He's threatening protesters with deadly force!

PDH

the sub-sub-text is "I was only kidding!  Sarcasm!"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2020, 09:26:47 AM

What fucking subtext? He's threatening protesters with deadly force!

When Syt posted "the hidden text" I thought he was referring to the subtext, not that there was actually more to Trump's tweet that was hidden. I didn't think that Trump wrote what Syt and I was referring to. My bad. :ph34r:

I still don't think that glorifies violence.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 29, 2020, 08:15:59 AM
His latest:

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
CHINA!
9:01 AM · May 29, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

And his supporters are accusing Biden of senility . . .

It's not either/or.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?