News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 28, 2020, 07:02:53 PM
I mean is an author of Dow 36,000, who's gone on to produce those Excel charts of covid deaths falling to 0 by mid-May really still an academic economist/credible expert? It seems like at this stage surely he's just part of the incredulity of grifters who currently occupty the White House.

That's almost certainly true; Trump surrounds himself with yes-men.

That's also irrelevant to the OUTRAGE!!!!111 issue.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

I mean is an author of Dow 36,000, who's gone on to produce those Excel charts of covid deaths falling to 0 by mid-May really still an academic economist/credible expert? It seems like at this stage surely he's just part of the incredulity of grifters who currently occupty the White House.

In Grumbler's defence he did say the guy was almost an economist.  I am pretty sure Grumbler didn't mean that to be ironic.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2020, 07:30:16 PM

In Grumbler's defence he did say the guy was almost an economist.  I am pretty sure Grumbler didn't mean that to be ironic.

As usual, you didn't read/comprehend what I wrote!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

No but it is relevant to the defence of this poor academic expert, speaking in his professional language caught in the headlights on CNN.

As I say I've never heard this phrase before, in context I would have thought it meant workers not what "human capital" actually is and I remember this coming up on my social media - before the outrage - and I thought that was a really weird, creepy way of talking about people. (At that stage the commentary was exactly that it was just quote tweeting the video with a comment "erm....")

Now I kind of get there's a double mis-speaking thing going on. He used the academic phrase incorrectly, for a mass media audience on CNN.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 28, 2020, 07:35:15 PM
No but it is relevant to the defence of this poor academic expert, speaking in his professional language caught in the headlights on CNN.

As I say I've never heard this phrase before, in context I would have thought it meant workers not what "human capital" actually is and I remember this coming up on my social media - before the outrage - and I thought that was a really weird, creepy way of talking about people. (At that stage the commentary was exactly that it was just quote tweeting the video with a comment "erm....")

Now I kind of get there's a double mis-speaking thing going on. He used the academic phrase incorrectly, for a mass media audience on CNN.

Yes, in the sense that he shouldn't have been trying to explain an economic theory at all to a mas audience on CNN.  And CNN shouldn't have interviewed him, since they were just going to get an economic perspective from an academic economist.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I laughed at Dow Jones 36,000 when it first came out but here we are at 25,000.

Eddie Teach

I'm not sure why an economist would be predicting covid deaths.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 28, 2020, 07:45:40 PM

Two words:  Trump.  Administration.

This is the administration that assigns Jared Kushner to be one of the 14 tsars of the Covid crisis response.

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2020, 04:16:13 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 28, 2020, 12:52:58 AM
Hassett's usage, however, is just wrong under any definition and a bit weird.  "Human capital" or "human capital stock" refers to the store of human capabilities and knowledge but not to the actual human beings themselves that embody that human capital.  The econman term for that would be "labor force" or even just "Labor".

Labor force?  Why do you want to force labor?  The unjust corvee system was one of the reasons for fall of the greedy and corrupt ancien regime.  You're a monster.

I don't disagree with your point that AOC is unfairly milking this.  I'm just correcting the notion that this is how econ profs speak to each other in seminars. This wasn't a problem of an econ geek trying to speak to the hoi polloi, it's someone using an awkward phrase in an odd way.

Hassett isn't a monster for calling people capital stock.  He's a monster because he chose to serve a monster who is destroying a great nation. 

Well and also for being responsible for the worst title of a financy book ever.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on May 28, 2020, 07:54:34 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 28, 2020, 07:45:40 PM

Two words:  Trump.  Administration.

This is the administration that assigns Jared Kushner to be one of the 14 tsars of the Covid crisis response.

Bingo - the guy that gave the soundest initial advice on COVID (ignored of course) was the trade guru.  Either because he was the smartest guy left in a pretty dumb room or just the right time of day for that broken clock.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

President Trump: "There's nothing I'd rather do than get rid of my whole Twitter account."

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

So if you strip legal protection of social media companies from what appears on their platform, won't that result in MORE censorship? At least that's definitely what happened in Hungary after a similar removal of legal protection over comment sections.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on May 29, 2020, 02:42:14 AM
So if you strip legal protection of social media companies from what appears on their platform, won't that result in MORE censorship? At least that's definitely what happened in Hungary after a similar removal of legal protection over comment sections.

Of course. It's similar to the discussion re: copyright in the EU. If the platform becomes responsible and liable for what their users upload to the platform, then they're incentivized to minimize their legal risk, i.e. prevent content from going up in the first place.

What I'm not quite clear on is that Trump wants to a) make platforms responsible for user content and b) prevent them from censoring content, which seems to run counter to each other. So people could upload punishable content and the platform wouldn't be allowed to remove it while still being liable? Guess we have one more reason for installing upload filters.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 28, 2020, 06:30:24 AM
I may be stupid, but wouldn't that be more likely to harm the publishing of a lot of conservative/right-wing content at the minute?

I mean if you're also potentially liable for what Alex Johnes says about the Sandy Hook families, for example, you'd shut him down yesterday, no? :mellow:

Even more importantly, you'd shut Donald J. Trump down last year.