And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2020, 09:06:50 PM
And?

The point is that Trump's guy is using the term you use to describe Mono's asswipe for Trump's own supporters.  Since Trump is decided that it would be best to expend the lives of the American people to improve the economy and save his presidency, there is good reason to think that Trump regards us in the same way as you describe toilet paper.  It's not a question of basic economics it is a question of human dignity.  Like when Stalin liquidated the Kulaks.  True, "Liquidate" is a term in economics, but you don't use it to describe human beings.

Difficult to respond to this fairly random collection of thoughts.

Razgovory

Christ, Seedy was right about you guys.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Pivoting on the human capital stock a little, has anyone prominent on the left gone "Guys, hang on a minute, there is nothing wrong with what he said.  Human capital stock means..."  I tried googling for it but didn't find it, though I didn't look for long as I didn't want to expose myself to all the idiocy.

One of the phenomena that has really been getting me down lately is the insufficient amount of self-policing of critical thinking on the left.  So many people on the left who must know better prop up the blue wall of silence and quietly watch others commit brazen acts of intellectual dishonesty.  Surely someone like Paul Krugman has to be rolling his eyes at all this "controversy" in the privacy of his own home.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2020, 09:18:56 PM
Christ, Seedy was right about you guys.
Raz, even CC gave up on this.  Let that sink in.

Razgovory

These are the perils of a STEM education.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2020, 09:31:13 PM
Pivoting on the human capital stock a little, has anyone prominent on the left gone "Guys, hang on a minute, there is nothing wrong with what he said.  Human capital stock means..."  I tried googling for it but didn't find it, though I didn't look for long as I didn't want to expose myself to all the idiocy.

One of the phenomena that has really been getting me down lately is the insufficient amount of self-policing of critical thinking on the left.  So many people on the left who must know better prop up the blue wall of silence and quietly watch others commit brazen acts of intellectual dishonesty.  Surely someone like Paul Krugman has to be rolling his eyes at all this "controversy" in the privacy of his own home.

Oh shut the fuck up already.

Zoupa

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on May 27, 2020, 09:49:52 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2020, 09:31:13 PM

Oh shut the fuck up already.
Insightful.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

The Austrian education minister recently said thar it was important to me to open schools as soon as possible to prevent a significant loss of human capital. He had to apologize for using the term, because while an appropriate term in an economic discussion,  the majority of parents don't seem to like their kids being reduced to an economic resource on breakfast radio news.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on May 27, 2020, 11:14:23 PM
The Austrian education minister recently said thar it was important to me to open schools as soon as possible to prevent a significant loss of human capital. He had to apologize for using the term, because while an appropriate term in an economic discussion,  the majority of parents don't seem to like their kids being reduced to an economic resource on breakfast radio news.

Yet they would not object to worries about the loss of education or skills, which mean exactly the same thing.

Syt

Yes, but the key is to use the right language for the right audience. As we say in German, "the tone makes the music."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 27, 2020, 10:58:31 PM
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/26/21270863/kevin-hassett-human-capital-stock-coronavirus

Vox takes AOC's side.
Vox wouldn't be the first publication I would expect to take the principled stand.  I did find out about a guy named Jonathan Chait through that article, who apparently is one such liberal I was looking for who tried to inject reason.  It did not go well for him...  Twitter does to critical thinking what nuclear weapons do to human capital stock.  :(

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on May 27, 2020, 11:20:19 PM
Yes, but the key is to use the right language for the right audience. As we say in German, "the tone makes the music."

I would prefer that people stop pulling grievances out of their ass, but I think that era has passed.