What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2020, 06:35:02 PM
If I take Barrister's post as a given, AOC was the one who started that outrage.  AOC, having a degree in economics, would almost certainly understand exactly what is meant by human capital, and that it's not even a remotely controversial term in economics.  That means that her outrage either comes from bad faith or highly motivated lack of comprehension.
It's politics. This happens and has always happened - how many gaffes have been about someone mis-speaking, or describing some policy idea in a weird way, or even just flubbing the number when talking about the cost of something. Everyone in politics knows what they meant to say, but the other sides fumbled the ball so you jump in.

I don't see why anyone in politics is supposed to have some sort of self-denying ordinance if the other side miscommunicate.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2020, 06:37:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2020, 05:15:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2020, 04:58:57 PM
It betrays a certain view of human beings.  You would understand that if you were also human, you godless robot.
That's ridiculous.  Human capital has a very specific meaning that conveys useful information in economics.  Is that all there is to it? :unsure:

Human capital does.  I've never heard of it referred to as "Human capital stock.  Stock typically refers to animals or things.  Stuff that exists to profit its owner.  It's like calling babies "potential sources of protein".  That is probably true, but it reflects a certain mindset that does not value human life.
I wasn't sure myself, so I googled it.  Here is the first sentence in the Wiki article: "Human capital is the stock of habits, knowledge, social and personality attributes (including creativity) embodied in the ability to perform labour so as to produce economic value.[1]".  Seems like there might be some connection there between human capital and stock? :unsure:

The Larch

QuoteAP BREAKING: White House says President Trump will sign an executive order shortly regarding social media companies.

Any bets?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on May 27, 2020, 06:48:51 PM
QuoteAP BREAKING: White House says President Trump will sign an executive order shortly regarding social media companies.

Any bets?
That we could probably sign an executive order on Languish that would have as much impact? :mellow:

Maybe I'm wrong and that's unfair though.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 27, 2020, 06:45:13 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2020, 06:35:02 PM
If I take Barrister's post as a given, AOC was the one who started that outrage.  AOC, having a degree in economics, would almost certainly understand exactly what is meant by human capital, and that it's not even a remotely controversial term in economics.  That means that her outrage either comes from bad faith or highly motivated lack of comprehension.
It's politics. This happens and has always happened - how many gaffes have been about someone mis-speaking, or describing some policy idea in a weird way, or even just flubbing the number when talking about the cost of something. Everyone in politics knows what they meant to say, but the other sides fumbled the ball so you jump in.

I don't see why anyone in politics is supposed to have some sort of self-denying ordinance if the other side miscommunicate.
Maybe it would be wise to save the cheap intellectually dishonest shots for when you don't have the moral high ground?  The American left is up against some truly despicable people these days, this is the kind of stuff that is completely unnecessary.  It's like winning the soccer game by 8:0 score 85 minutes into the game and taking a theatrical dive in the penalty area.  There is nothing material to be gained from trying to draw the penalty, but there is a risk of making everyone focus on your diving rather than on being a comprehensively better team.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on May 27, 2020, 06:48:51 PM

Any bets?

I bet he says that he was just kidding, and that the reporters who believed what his press secretary said are dumb failures.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Human capital does.  I've never heard of it referred to as "Human capital stock.  Stock typically refers to animals or things.  Stuff that exists to profit its owner.  It's like calling babies "potential sources of protein".  That is probably true, but it reflects a certain mindset that does not value human life.

Stock is simply a term that means how much of a given thing exists.  Its counterpart is flow.  Mono has an enormous stock of toilet paper.  If he uses a bunch, that will be a net outflow and his stock will diminish.  Very basic economics.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Maybe what the US stands against and what Republicans stand against are different things :hmm:

And Donald's has social media platforms to thank for his success, his outrage seems groundless. He should be praising them. I mean sure as shit get bombarded with right wing propaganda everytime I use any social media platform so they aren't all that silenced.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2020, 07:35:19 PM
Maybe what the US stands against and what Republicans stand against are different things :hmm:

And Donald's has social media platforms to thank for his success, his outrage seems groundless. He should be praising them. I mean sure as shit get bombarded with right wing propaganda everytime I use any social media platform so they aren't all that silenced.

Yeah, let's hope he shuts Twitter down.  Just to make sure AOC should start a Twitter campaign to save Twitter

FunkMonk

Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2020, 05:15:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2020, 04:58:57 PM
It betrays a certain view of human beings.  You would understand that if you were also human, you godless robot.
That's ridiculous.  Human capital has a very specific meaning that conveys useful information in economics.  Is that all there is to it? :unsure:

Economists do not value human life. Sorry Minsky.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 27, 2020, 07:14:00 PM

Stock is simply a term that means how much of a given thing exists.  Its counterpart is flow.  Mono has an enormous stock of toilet paper.  If he uses a bunch, that will be a net outflow and his stock will diminish.  Very basic economics.

And?

The point is that Trump's guy is using the term you use to describe Mono's asswipe for Trump's own supporters.  Since Trump is decided that it would be best to expend the lives of the American people to improve the economy and save his presidency, there is good reason to think that Trump regards us in the same way as you describe toilet paper.  It's not a question of basic economics it is a question of human dignity.  Like when Stalin liquidated the Kulaks.  True, "Liquidate" is a term in economics, but you don't use it to describe human beings.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 27, 2020, 06:21:59 PM
Only use professional/expertise language when you're speaking to an audience who know what you're talking about, otherwise it may be misinterpreted because people don't know what it means and/or it sounds weird to non-in-crowd people. This isn't some ridiculous character assasination or novel social media idiocy - it's basic politics as long as the mass media's existed.

You can get away with this in an interview with the WSJ or the FT (just about), probably not on any media that can be easily clipped. It's like when Gordon Brown did a pre-election speech to normal people and talked about "post neo-classical endogenous growth theory". That really means something to economists, so probably just say it to them.

He never really lived that down and neither did his advisor Ed Balls who wrote the speech (Michael Heseltine was asked what he thought of post neo-classical endogenous growth theory and quipped "it's not Brown, it's Balls" :lol:)

Were you unfamiliar with human capital and stocks before this?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!