What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on May 10, 2018, 04:45:44 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2018, 04:41:26 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2018, 03:00:34 PM
Quote from: dps on April 24, 2018, 11:20:58 PM
Politeness is about censoring the tone of a statement.  Political correctness is about censoring the content of a statement.

I'd like to hear the Languish SJWs' take on this "incident":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/she-called-his-elevator-joke-offensive-he-called-her-complaint-frivolous-whos-right/2018/05/03/43ba4084-4ee1-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0561347c17e6

The complainer is from Romania. The context was lost on her. Rather than take her to task, the professor should have simply said, "It was a cultural joke regarding department stores, not a comment specific to women's lingerie. I'm sorry if it made you feel uncomfortable. That was not my intent."

Yes let's surrender to retardism.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

The complainer is from Romania. The context was lost on her. Rather than take her to task, the professor should have simply said, "It was a cultural joke regarding department stores, not a comment specific to women's lingerie. I'm sorry if it made you feel uncomfortable. That was not my intent."

I mean she works in the US and making that kind of complaint is probably not something that goes on much in Romania. She seems pretty Americanized. In any case yes he should have. But he is almost 80 and when you get that old you suffer less shit and have fewer shits to give.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2018, 10:01:39 PM
Quote from: dps on May 10, 2018, 04:55:34 PM
At any rate, it's not his job to educate her on our cultural norms.  At any rate, he was correct--her complaint is frivolous.

No, he was not correct. He was busted by the disclplinary committee.

OK BB.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on May 10, 2018, 09:46:55 PM
And really, I think this whole bit should be split off into its own thread.

Yes please.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on May 10, 2018, 10:08:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 10, 2018, 04:45:44 PM
Politeness is about censoring the tone of a statement.  Political correctness is about censoring the content of a statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/she-called-his-elevator-joke-offensive-he-called-her-complaint-frivolous-whos-right/2018/05/03/43ba4084-4ee1-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0561347c17e6

Yes let's surrender to retardism.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

As someone who once lived in a country that bordered Romania, I am frankly offended at this shameless promotion of patronizing stereotype of Romanians as people who cannot be expected to understand culture.  We have to be better than that.

Valmy

Merithyn is wrong unless that committee that censured him is also full of Romanians. That joke was deemed sexual harassment by Americans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2018, 07:34:04 AM
Merithyn is wrong unless that committee that censured him is also full of Romanians. That joke was deemed sexual harassment by Americans.

Oh, a committee signed off on it.  Guess it was sexual harassment then--we know that committees can never be wrong.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2018, 10:03:37 PM

Probably. Not sure why Spicey put it here.

Continuation of the "PC is just being polite" discussion.  But agree it should be in its own thread.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2018, 08:32:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2018, 10:03:37 PM

Probably. Not sure why Spicey put it here.

Continuation of the "PC is just being polite" discussion.  But agree it should be in its own thread.

Obviously it was a plot by "Cultural Marxists" to impose Islam on America.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: dps on May 11, 2018, 07:56:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2018, 07:34:04 AM

Oh, a committee signed off on it.  Guess it was sexual harassment then--we know that committees can never be wrong.

Well it is not like there is some kind of objective standard. You sexually harassed somebody if they feel like you sexually harassed them, doubly so when the institutions back them up.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2018, 11:34:24 AM
Well it is not like there is some kind of objective standard. You sexually harassed somebody if they feel like you sexually harassed them,

Not in this case if you invoke the "reasonable person" argument, assuming that's still a thing.  It was in the company-wide sexual harassment training we had to take five years ago.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 11, 2018, 11:31:11 AM
Obviously it was a plot by "Cultural Marxists" to impose Islam on America.

:mellow:

Berkut

Isn't that exactly what he did though?

Lebow, informed of the complaint, wrote what he said was intended to be a conciliatory response, assuring Sharoni that "I certainly had no desire to insult women or to make you feel uncomfortable" and suggested that Sharoni, born in Romania and raised in Israel, may have "interpreted my remark out of context."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2018, 11:43:09 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2018, 11:34:24 AM
Well it is not like there is some kind of objective standard. You sexually harassed somebody if they feel like you sexually harassed them,

Not in this case if you invoke the "reasonable person" argument, assuming that's still a thing.  It was in the company-wide sexual harassment training we had to take five years ago.

Obviously common sense and being reasonable is the only defense. But that is also pretty arbitrary. The committee obviously felt like it was reasonable and common sensical to decide against Lebow. And then what can you do? Not much.

This was my main take away from training I get on this subject in the companies I have worked for. Ultimately it comes down to how people feel about the situation. So you better hope you work with very reasonable people.