News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I don't know about that - he had the full-bore Mussolini chin jut going on.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2018, 01:39:12 PM
I heard some rumor some of the resistance will be having some sort of alternative speech, which sounds stupid. But then this is a stupid age.

That's been done for at years;  it's nothing new.  It is stupid, though.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2018, 01:39:12 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 31, 2018, 01:29:27 PM
So are you guys discussing the State of the Union somewhere I don't have access to?

Nope. Feel free to discuss it here.

I am sure he will say some misguided notions and outright lies and then the Democrats will brilliantly point out where he was wrong and bad and should feel bad. The nation will rally to the Democrats with thunderous cheers.

I heard some rumor some of the resistance will be having some sort of alternative speech, which sounds stupid. But then this is a stupid age.

There has been a response to the state of the union since 1966, so I guess your entire life has been a stupid age.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

A response is not an alternative speech.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

So Trey Gowdy is stepping down to return to the judiciary.  I really, really hope he doesn't end up a Supreme Court Justice. :yuk:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 31, 2018, 03:54:01 PM
I don't know about that - he had the full-bore Mussolini chin jut going on.

Unfortunately I caught a few minutes of it on yesterday's news, you're spot on with that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

And in the no surprise at all section:

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump    13m (ago)

Thank you for all of the nice compliments and reviews on the State of the Union speech. 45.6 million people watched, the highest number in history. @FoxNews beat every other Network, for the first time ever, with 11.7 million people tuning in. Delivered from the heart!

It's all about the ratings folks.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

I must say the US is lucky with Trump: basically he is -unintentionally I guess- trying to do the same fatal eroding of checks and balances like it has been done in Russia, Turkey, Hungary, and nowadays Poland. And it seems the Republican Party is quite ok with assisting in this. The lucky part is, that Trump is a joke and very incapable in everything but doing a Mussolini impersonation. Somebody more sinister and smart could cause a lot of long term damage with such traitors as the GOP behind him.

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2018, 08:23:47 AM
I must say the US is lucky with Trump: basically he is -unintentionally I guess- trying to do the same fatal eroding of checks and balances like it has been done in Russia, Turkey, Hungary, and nowadays Poland. And it seems the Republican Party is quite ok with assisting in this. The lucky part is, that Trump is a joke and very incapable in everything but doing a Mussolini impersonation. Somebody more sinister and smart could cause a lot of long term damage with such traitors as the GOP behind him.

We're only a year in.

derspiess

How is he unintentionally trying to do something?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2018, 08:23:47 AM
Agreed.  It's alarming that he's as successful as he is at that, obviously no democracy is safe when there is a sizable anti-democratic element among citizenry, but it's far more alarming to think how successful a sleek political operator would be.  FBI would probably be completely and silently co-opted by now.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 31, 2018, 10:49:25 PM
There has been a response to the state of the union since 1966, so I guess your entire life has been a stupid age.

Was there a time when people did not respond to the State of the Union Address? :unsure:

Anyway why would I think a response is stupid? I was talking about setting up your alternative speech.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on February 01, 2018, 08:29:37 AM

It's pretty clear that Trump doesn't understand how government works, but he still expects it to conform to how he thinks it works.  Someone who actually understood it could take it apart intentionally more effectively.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 01, 2018, 08:29:37 AM

I guess Tamas is saying that he is trying to do the things those other guys did to satisfy his ego or something, not necessarily to actually create a dictatorship.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."