What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2017, 08:15:58 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 16, 2017, 06:55:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2017, 06:47:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 16, 2017, 06:44:41 AM
Tampax, you sound suspiciously like someone who likes liberal democracy and rule of law. Just sayin'.

Okay, you need to stop being an idiot. You've been getting a free pass for too long.

Gratuitous and frankly out of place.

I don't think so. He's been skirting around with some racist and sexist notions as of late. And yes, he's lovable and funny so doesn't matter as much as we rarely need to take his points seriously but enough is enough.

This was very badly timed by you though, as he happens to be right. The police's monopoly on violence is the cornerstone of the rule of law, the more free a society is, the more true this is.

Eddie Teach

So call him out when he's being racist or sexist, not when he's agreeing with Tamas that mob violence is bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 16, 2017, 08:18:13 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2017, 06:47:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 16, 2017, 06:44:41 AM
Tampax, you sound suspiciously like someone who likes liberal democracy and rule of law. Just sayin'.

Okay, you need to stop being an idiot. You've been getting a free pass for too long.

I don't think so. He's been skirting around with some racist and sexist notions as of late. And yes, he's lovable and funny so doesn't matter as much as we rarely need to take his points seriously but enough is enough.

This was very badly timed by you though, as he happens to be right. The police's monopoly on violence is the cornerstone of the rule of law, the more free a society is, the more true this is.

I don't care. His dickishness has pissed me off.

Particularly given that I was not arguing for people to be violent nor that I was pleased people were getting violent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on August 16, 2017, 02:03:09 AM
Well you'd think that, but you'd be wrong. Jacob has established that 1930s Germany is a model to follow when it comes to political culture.

I did not, no.

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on August 16, 2017, 09:24:53 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 16, 2017, 02:03:09 AM
Well you'd think that, but you'd be wrong. Jacob has established that 1930s Germany is a model to follow when it comes to political culture.

I did not, no.

I know you didn't, but as much as it was fun seeing that nazi scumbag shit his pants when he had to run from his own press conference, the "punch a nazi" slogan advocated by you earlier, leads exactly to the Germany of the 1920s and 30s.

Oexmelin

Where were police forces in Germany, in the 1920s ?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

A perfect description of the Brain's posts, yes.

Jacob

It's not that recent.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on August 16, 2017, 09:28:06 AM
I know you didn't, but as much as it was fun seeing that nazi scumbag shit his pants when he had to run from his own press conference, the "punch a nazi" slogan advocated by you earlier, leads exactly to the Germany of the 1920s and 30s.

I disagree.

It's grimly amusing to see you descend into liberal handwringing and self-blame on this subject when on most other ones you ridicule it. Hitler's ascent to power can not credibly be laid at the feet of people fighting against the SA.

Jacob

QuoteVirginia governor Terry McAuliffe revealed on Monday that the far right activists had hidden caches of weapons around the city. "They had battering rams and we had picked up different weapons that they had stashed around the city," McAuliffe told civil rights campaigner DeRay Mckesson on his podcast Pod Save the People.

Asked about the police response, which has been criticised as too passive, the governor said: "They were on very heightened alert because of the amount of weapons that we had been told [were coming in]. These folks came armed and our biggest concern was that shots would be fired and we would have a melee."

He added: "If you see people yesterday walking down the street, DeRay, with semi-automatic rifles strapped on their body, I mean they had better armour than my state police and national guard had."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/14/donald-trump-charlottesville-response-washington

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on August 16, 2017, 09:39:35 AM

I disagree.

It's grimly amusing to see you descend into liberal handwringing and self-blame on this subject when on most other ones you ridicule it. Hitler's ascent to power can not credibly be laid at the feet of people fighting against the SA.

Two things. First of all, yes, chaos on the streets helped Hitler come to power.

Secondly, the SA was street fighting the far left groups, not the liberals. Just as the American nazis would end up fighting the far left if these kind of things are to continue and escalate, and it would be one of the two that rises to power once people have enough of the ensuing chaos.

The Minsky Moment

Personally I'll take Weimar over what came after.  Is that really a hard choice?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2017, 09:54:45 AM

Personally I'll take Weimar over what came after.  Is that really a hard choice?

:rolleyes: You know perfectly well what I meant.

Democracies are not invulnerable, and they can be set up and ran in a bad way. Keeping them stable and serving individual freedom requires care from the majority.

The Minsky Moment

Watching Republicans go on TV last night to shake their heads over Trump, it's like watching Wile E Coyote pumping his legs furiously after going over the cliff, not realizing there is nothing below.  Again and again, I heard the talking point - condemning the President for his statements, expressing exasperation over his lack of discipline, but expressing support for his "policy agenda"

Problem is, it's Trump.  He has no policy agenda.  The craziness isn't a distraction from the main event.  It is the main event. These GOP guys have either (1) gotten so disoriented trying to defend Trump's mishegas they can no longer see the man for what it is, or (2) can't stop intoning the talking points intended to nudge Trump back onto track even though they realize it will never happen.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 16, 2017, 09:37:00 AM

It's not that recent.

Again, I'll admit that I've let most slide in the past with the not considering him a serious poster. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.