Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2017, 10:06:53 AM

QuoteBBC
China and Taiwan mixed up in White House gaffe
2 hours ago
From the section US & Canada

A press release following Donald Trump's meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the G20 summit called him president "of the Republic of China".

That is the official name of Taiwan. Mr Xi is, in fact, President of the People's Republic of China.

Earlier, the White House had also labelled Shinzo Abe president of Japan. He is the prime minister.

The online version of the statement on China now simply refers to "President Xi of China", and the Japan statement has also been corrected.

Social media users were quick to point out the error, which many feel should be obvious to government officials.

Chris Lu, a White House Cabinet Secretary under former President Obama, tweeted: "Ouch. White House just referred to Xi Jinping as leader of Republic of China, which is Taiwan," appending the hashtag: "#AmateurHour".

The distinction between two similar-sounding official names is important for two neighbours that have tense relations.

China regards Taiwan as breakaway province which will eventually rejoin the mainland.

In a separate development, a picture posted on Mr Trump's Intagram account showing the president with Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong initially misidentified him as Indonesian President Joko Widodo.

The error was quickly pointed out on social media and rectified.

Unbelievable. 

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2017, 03:06:35 PM
All they wanted was someone who acknowledged that there is nothing wrong with bigotry and intolerance.  The rest is something they are kind of forced to take, since there is no bigoted and intolerant progressive alternative.

Some of those in the "intersectional" crowd seem to be interested in opening up branch of bigoted and intolerant progressiveness.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2017, 09:57:46 PM
Unbelievable.

Actually, no.  Completely believable. Not the first time, won't be the last time.  Grab that pussy.

Grey Fox

The White supremacist White House doesn't care about your little designation. China this, China that. All Chinks. All non-white. Don't matter. #sad
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

If that were true GF at least that would mean he cares alot about Europe :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2017, 07:31:05 AM

All the southern part of it is brown. Icky.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2017, 10:37:00 PM
Unbelievable.

Actually, no.  Completely believable. Not the first time, won't be the last time.  Grab that pussy.

Not only does the incident display shockingly inadequate knowledge about very basic international relations, but it also shows that the people in charge don't seem to be aware that they lack such knowledge.  Normally, the remedy for lack of knowledge is to seek expert advice, which presumably is readily available at the State department.  But this remedy only works if the people responsible are willing and able to seek assistance.  And I am sorry to say, the ignorance displayed here is at a level below the expected knowledge of a common street joe.  President of Japan?  Seriously?  By a White House official?  Where is the oversight for releasing these things?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2017, 07:31:05 AM

:hmm: They are not good Christians tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on July 10, 2017, 07:51:06 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2017, 10:37:00 PM
Unbelievable.

Not only does the incident display shockingly inadequate knowledge about very basic international relations, but it also shows that the people in charge don't seem to be aware that they lack such knowledge.  Normally, the remedy for lack of knowledge is to seek expert advice, which presumably is readily available at the State department.  But this remedy only works if the people responsible are willing and able to seek assistance.  And I am sorry to say, the ignorance displayed here is at a level below the expected knowledge of a common street joe.  President of Japan?  Seriously?  By a White House official?  Where is the oversight for releasing these things?

You seem to be showing a shocking ignorance about Trump and how this White House 'thinks'.  ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Where is the oversight for releasing these things?

:lol:  Oversight, that's a good one.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/comey%C3%A2%E2%82%AC-tm-s-private-memos-on-trump-conversations-contained-classified-material/ar-BBE77KF

QuoteMore than half of the memos former FBI chief James Comey wrote as personal recollections of his conversations with President Trump about the Russia investigation have been determined to contain classified information, according to interviews with officials familiar with the documents.

This revelation raises the possibility that Comey broke his own agency's rules and ignored the same security protocol that he publicly criticized Hillary Clinton for in the waning days of the 2016 presidential election.

Oops.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Thank you for that insightful commentary.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2017, 10:04:30 AM
Thank you for that insightful commentary.

Derslav roots for the Russians now. 

The versions of the docs he leaked may very well have been redacted anyway.

CountDeMoney

And I am sorry to say, the ignorance displayed here is at a level below the expected knowledge of a common street joe.

Who do you think voted for him and why?  Because the ignorance of the average joe is in.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2017, 11:04:25 AM
The versions of the docs he leaked may very well have been redacted anyway.

Okay, cool-- I'll let everyone know.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall