News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Guys, remember when Brexit was a wonderful thing?

Donald Trump 'tells European leaders he is worried about American jobs after Brexit'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/25/donald-trump-tells-european-leaders-worried-american-jobs-brexit/

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 25, 2017, 02:40:21 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2017, 01:04:45 AM
Cited with assault

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/montana-congressional-candidate-allegedly-assaults-newspaper-reporter-n764421
QuoteA Montana sheriff has issued a citation for misdemeanor assault against Republican U.S. House candidate Greg Gianforte after a reporter for The Guardian newspaper said he "body slammed" him, an account which was backed up by witnesses.

Not just that, a Fox reporter and two of her producers are witnesses to the assault and publicly proved the press release was a flat-out lie: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/24/greg-gianforte-fox-news-team-witnesses-gop-house-candidate-body-slam-reporter.html

I don't know how to feel about this. The Dem candidate also seems terrible (though not in a violence way).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/25/montana-special-election-gianforte-assault-charge-guardian

QuoteQuist, a 69-year-old who doesn't radiate a sophisticated grasp of policy, invariably appears in a cowboy hat, and adjusts his neckware from a formal tie to a jaunty sash depending on the occasion. One Democratic operative marveled at how well-known Quist was from his decades of touring the state as a musician and playing county fairs and high-school proms.

The first-time candidate has campaigned across the state with Vermont senator Bernie Sanders, whom he has praised as "the ultimate warrior for the people." Despite Montana's Republican lean at the presidential level, it has a strong prairie populist streak and has repeatedly elected Democrats to state and federal office.

Quist, though, is clearly uncomfortable discussing policy outside of broad outlines. He goes out of his way at campaign events to spend time performing, often with his daughter, rather than giving a stump speech. When Quist does speak, he tries to hit his talking points about protecting the state's public lands and attacking the House Republican healthcare reform bill.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on May 25, 2017, 09:17:03 AM
I don't know how to feel about this. The Dem candidate also seems terrible (though not in a violence way).

Usual wikipedia caveats apply but here's what shows up for Andre the Gianforte:

"maintains relationships with various conservative and extremist Christian groups including Focus on the Family and the young-earth creationist Glendive Dinosaur and Fossil Museum"

An empty cowboy hat seems vastly preferable.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

With the nation still reeling from learning that Trump gets more than his fair share of ice-cream at dinner, CNN goes for the jugular:

First lady's hand swat a viral sensation
Internet reacts to Melania's hand gesture
After Monday's 'hand swat,' Tuesday the Trumps make a show of togetherness ... sort of
What signal is Melania sending?

(The final piece contains the phrase "Trump's ungentlemanly style".  Really.  Things have gotten so far out of hand that CNN has hired Jiminy Cricket to write opinion pieces in the age of Trump.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

You are just not prepared for the hard hitting journalism of the 21st century Sav.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

I sort of hoped that the media would try to take the high road when covering Trump, even after his "enemy of the people" nonsense.  But no, not even an attempt.  It's entertaining anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 25, 2017, 10:19:40 AM
I sort of hoped that the media would try to take the high road when covering Trump, even after his "enemy of the people" nonsense.  But no, not even an attempt.  It's entertaining anyway.

Taking the high road gets few clicks.

DontSayBanana

...And Trump just fired off a huge speech excoriating all the other NATO members about paying their dues. At a welcome ceremony for the new NATO HQ. And tried to lighten the mood by commenting, "I never once asked how much the new headquarters cost. I don't want to know."

If we don't get him out of office, we're going to be a fucking pariah by the time four years is up. <_<
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 25, 2017, 09:39:07 AM

"maintains relationships with various conservative and extremist Christian groups including Focus on the Family and the young-earth creationist Glendive Dinosaur and Fossil Museum"

Oh, I mean his support of Trump and attacking of supporters was enough to disqualify him in my eyes. Just that the Dem seemed also deplorable (though in a lesser fashion).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 25, 2017, 10:21:05 AM
...And Trump just fired off a huge speech excoriating all the other NATO members about paying their dues. At a welcome ceremony for the new NATO HQ. And tried to lighten the mood by commenting, "I never once asked how much the new headquarters cost. I don't want to know."

If we don't get him out of office, we're going to be a fucking pariah by the time four years is up. <_<

It's already like that but don't fear a young enthusiastic leader can fix anything.

Dwayne Johnson 2020 for example.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quist is more than just an empty hat though - there's something about a long history of debts, liens, and unpaid taxes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Fate

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2017, 11:08:21 AM

Quist is more than just an empty hat though - there's something about a long history of debts, liens, and unpaid taxes.

Wow, that's terrible. Surely someone like that could never become President of the United States, let alone the at-large representative for the great state of Montana.