News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

do people think steve jobs was a liar with his "reality distortion field"? it's the exact same thing. most people have done it at some point in a heated debate, it's just that some businessmen have adopted it (very likely unintentionally as a type of defense mechanism) as their particular style

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 11:23:39 AM
he's saying what he actually believes in that moment

You just made this up.  You have absolutely no way of knowing what he believes in any moment and what he doesn't.  You're playing the game of come up with an excuse, any excuse.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 11:26:25 AM
do people think steve jobs was a liar with his "reality distortion field"? it's the exact same thing. most people have done it at some point in a heated debate, it's just that some businessmen have adopted it (very likely unintentionally as a type of defense mechanism) as their particular style

People generally consider Steve Jobs a tremendous asshole. But he was never an elected official of any kind so it is not the exact same thing at all. Being a business man does not mean you are free from all your obligations as a public servant.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on February 17, 2017, 11:25:17 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 11:20:01 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 17, 2017, 11:14:14 AMThat's right.  It's because he is the President, not because he is Trump.  If he doesn't like it, well, he picked the wrong job to dabble in.

it doesn't matter what job he picked. what matters is he's the president now, and the news should report accurately but not gratuitously, nor should it exaggerate or keep constantly adding pressure.

Tell me how the interaction with him lying about his electoral college votes (which, btw, is not the first time he has lied about this or been corrected on it) is the media reporting not accurately, or gratuitously, or adding pressure that isn't deserved?

Calling all of his opponents trash and insinuating they are all committing criminal voter fraud and insisting people get locked up is just his style. LaCroix does seem to get much more upset with everybody else for doing their 'style' and very forgiving for the President of the United States, the guy who got his start pushing conspiracy theories to undermine the then-President. An obvious dishonest bunch of garbage from LaCroix.

I apologize to Languish for responding to him. I keep forgetting he is a troll and liar. I don't know why I keep deluding myself that he honestly just wants to have a conversation about something. I guess that is what makes him a good troll.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2017, 11:29:12 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 11:23:39 AM
he's saying what he actually believes in that moment

You just made this up.  You have absolutely no way of knowing what he believes in any moment and what he doesn't.  You're playing the game of come up with an excuse, any excuse.

I've said this before on languish. why would trump, someone who is intelligent, constantly say things that are so easily fact-checkable to people who know the things he's saying aren't true, unless he actually believed it? if he was saying all these "lies" to his supporters and no one else, that would be one thing. no, he's saying it in closed room circles, to presidents of other countries, etc. he's saying it to everyone, because he believes it.

it makes no sense that he's "lying" as what that word actually means.

viper37

On the one hand, having Lacroix here generates activity.  If it's really Lacroix.  Does his IP really come from South Dakota?

On the other hand, he reminds me of Hansmeister and we are much better off without him.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 11:34:29 AM
I've said this before on languish. why would trump, someone who is intelligent, constantly say things that are so easily fact-checkable to people who know the things he's saying aren't true, unless he actually believed it? if he was saying all these "lies" to his supporters and no one else, that would be one thing. no, he's saying it in closed room circles, to presidents of other countries, etc. he's saying it to everyone, because he believes it.

No, he's saying it to everyone because he's a liar. 

If he operated like you say, he would lie, get fact checked once, then correct himself.  AFAIK he has never retracted a single lie.  Not a single one.

viper37

I've said this before on languish. why would trump, someone who is intelligent,
having a rich grandfather, a rich father and buying your way into elite schools who readily disregard bad grades for donations is not the same as being intelligent.

Being a failed businessman who gets his way only by bullying the weaker individuals and not paying his debts half the time is not the same as being intelligent.

By all accounts, he is hyper emotional and easily influenced so long as you tell him what he wants to hear: he's great.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2017, 11:38:08 AMNo, he's saying it to everyone because he's a liar. 

If he operated like you say, he would lie, get fact checked once, then correct himself.  AFAIK he has never retracted a single lie.  Not a single one.

not when you're so arrogant that you don't even believe the fact-check, because it's fake-news. trump is a unique personality, but aspects of his personality aren't that unique. what makes him unique is the combination of all these different aspects.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2017, 11:38:08 AM

No, he's saying it to everyone because he's a liar. 

there's a french expression, bonimenteur: "Celui qui tient des arguments plus ou moins fallacieux dans le but de séduire, persuader ou convaincre ; baratineur. "

He who holds arguments more or less fallacious in the goal of seducing, persuading or convince;

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 11:42:22 AM
not when you're so arrogant that you don't even believe the fact-check, because it's fake-news. trump is a unique personality, but aspects of his personality aren't that unique. what makes him unique is the combination of all these different aspects.

Fact checking was part of your own rationale for why Trump believes his bullshit in the moment.

Quotewhy would trump, someone who is intelligent, constantly say things that are so easily fact-checkable to people who know the things he's saying aren't true, unless he actually believed it?

You'll have to throw one of these two statements under the bus.

Grey Fox

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 11:20:01 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 17, 2017, 11:14:14 AMThat's right.  It's because he is the President, not because he is Trump.  If he doesn't like it, well, he picked the wrong job to dabble in.

it doesn't matter what job he picked. what matters is he's the president now, and the news should report accurately but not gratuitously, nor should it exaggerate or keep constantly adding pressure.

Donald, is that you? Have you been one of us all this time? Donald?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2017, 11:48:03 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 11:42:22 AM

Fact checking was part of your own rationale for why Trump believes his bullshit in the moment.

Quotewhy would trump, someone who is intelligent, constantly say things that are so easily fact-checkable to people who know the things he's saying aren't true, unless he actually believed it?

You'll have to throw one of these two statements under the bus.

yes, but not in the way you're using fact checking. read both of my statements -- trump believes what he says in both of them. in the second statement in your post (my initial statement), I was saying it makes no sense for him to lie (a "lie" will always serve a purpose) when people know he's lying or his lie can be easily debunked. in the first statement in your post (my later statement), I was saying that trump probably doesn't change his view because he doesn't buy the attempts at fact-checking.

now, if one of his trusted advisors says to him, "hey, donnie, X isn't true," I don't know what happens. depending on what it is, maybe he believes it anyway or maybe he's convinced and that particular falsity isn't mentioned again.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2017, 11:33:57 AMCalling all of his opponents trash and insinuating they are all committing criminal voter fraud and insisting people get locked up is just his style. LaCroix does seem to get much more upset with everybody else for doing their 'style' and very forgiving for the President of the United States, the guy who got his start pushing conspiracy theories to undermine the then-President. An obvious dishonest bunch of garbage from LaCroix.

I apologize to Languish for responding to him. I keep forgetting he is a troll and liar. I don't know why I keep deluding myself that he honestly just wants to have a conversation about something. I guess that is what makes him a good troll.

I don't see from what I've said anything that comes off as me saying I don't want to have a conversation

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall