News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: dps on February 03, 2017, 06:40:38 PM
I've always argued that the crisis was caused by bad loans which were encouraged by the regulations in place;  it wasn't a lack of regulation, but inappropriate regulation.

It is true that the bad loans were allowed because of the previous wave of Republican regulation elimination, which restored the idea that banks could gamble because, if they won, they kept their earnings, but, if they lost, the public paid their losses.  Combined with obscene self-granted incentives to cheat like motherfuckers for short-term gain (and then bail with tens of millions in bonuses), this regulatory environment almost mandated criminality in the banking business.  The constant search for financial instruments that were impervious to financial transparency requirements led to the weird banking practices that eventually collapsed and caused the Great Recession.

I sometimes think Trump would be happy with a recession, as long as it was The Greatest Recession Ever.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on February 03, 2017, 07:36:11 PM
The mortgage crisis was caused mainly by lucrative unregulated derivatives that made sidestepping mortgage regulations too attractive a prospect.

True, but those derivatives were made possible by relaxation of banking rules, and the crisis involved more than just mortgages and their derivatives.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Much like the great depression it's kind of silly to fight over picking one reason for the housing market crash and the great recession. It was a combination of a fairly typical (in economic history) case of an asset bubble, combined with poor regulation, market that didn't have appropriate signals in place that it was in trouble (in part because ratings agencies for example were basically just fabricating ratings), debt-driven consumption in general (and high household debt) and even the high oil prices of the time among man other things had a play.

Black people definitely had a hand in it--and Jews.

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2017, 07:49:09 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 03, 2017, 07:36:11 PM
The mortgage crisis was caused mainly by lucrative unregulated derivatives that made sidestepping mortgage regulations too attractive a prospect.

True, but those derivatives were made possible by relaxation of banking rules, and the crisis involved more than just mortgages and their derivatives.

Absolutely, more stringent bank regulation would have limited the damage once the fuze was lit.

I am afraid Trump just wants to reap the short term benefits of an asset bubble. Everybody loves bubbles until they burst,  but that will be some other sucker's problem.

Valmy

:lol: Otto

But yeah it is sort of nature of things to boom and bust is it not?

Though we probably need a really nice boom before we can endure another bust like that one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2017, 06:01:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2017, 04:43:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2017, 04:42:05 PM
Then she was lying.  There was no planned attack.  The Iraqis were nabbed for weapons trafficking and having previously attacked Americans in Iraq. 

Wait...what?

So what happened at Bowling Green?

Two guys were arrested in BG Ky in 2011 and convicted of trying to aid overseas terrorist organizations.  They were Iraqis who had successfully applied for US visa.  Conway claimed that this was Trump's motivation for his ban on imkmigration, and she falsely said that it triggered Obama to issue a similar six month ban.  She falsely alleged that the case hadn't been covered by the media.   Pretty much everything Conway said about it was a lie.  She probably was accidentally truthful about some element or other.

The only Bowling Green Massacre was Week 1 last season against Ohio State.

Kellyanne Conway certainly didn't misspeak in the interview with Chris Matthews; he even told her twice she was smirking too much and not answering his questions.   The woman's ability to maintain such a straight face with so much bullshit pouring out is fascinating.

MadImmortalMan

Her face doesn't look that straight to me.   :yuk:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 03, 2017, 08:48:20 PM
Her face doesn't look that straight to me.   :yuk:

I agree.  She is probably the worst liar in an administration full of liars.  Even Sean Spicer lies better than she does, and he is so incompetent a liar that he can't even complete a sentence when he is making shit up.

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Wa State will be on the shitter Twitter tonight.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

TV is full of commercials from right wing groups about the cabniet nominees

TELL SHARROD BROWN TO VOTE FOR DICK MCDICKFACE.

Bleh. Almost as bad before the election.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I cannot believe they cannot find one more Republican to kill the Betsy DeVos nomination.   Oh wait, she has contributed to all of them, because drain the swamp.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2017, 09:26:11 PM
I cannot believe they cannot find one more Republican to kill the Betsy DeVos nomination.   Oh wait, she has contributed to all of them, because drain the swamp.

Amazing.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

On a lighter note, a good friend of mine mustering out of the Army Reserve was due to start with the federal government on Monday.   Got the phone call yesterday not to bother. 

I feel bad for him, but he's another "wait, he was serious about that" Trump-supporter-by-proxy.  Because emails.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2017, 09:33:35 PM
On a lighter note, a good friend of mine mustering out of the Army Reserve was due to start with the federal government on Monday.   Got the phone call yesterday not to bother. 

I feel bad for him, but he's another "wait, he was serious about that" Trump-supporter-by-proxy.  Because emails.

Damn.

We are just waiting on the LE/ES exemption here.

CountDeMoney

QuoteDonald J. Trump Verified account  4h
‏@realDonaldTrump

We must keep "evil" out of our country!

3:08 PM - 3 Feb 2017

Okely dokely.

QuoteDonald J. Trump Verified account 5m
‏@realDonaldTrump

Countries charge U.S. companies taxes or tariffs while the U.S. charges them nothing or little.We should charge them SAME as they charge us!

He's like a teenager on a Friday night.