Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 05:25:08 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 03, 2017, 05:14:46 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 04:37:13 PM
the planned attack by a couple of Iraqi refugees in Kentucky that police prevented. This was the incident that led Pres Obama to halt refugees from Iraq for a while.

Leaving aside whether Conway lied about it or not, she certainly did lie (or is this another 'misspoke'?) about the Iraqi travel ban.  There was no such thing.

Iraqis were not banned from entering the USA on travel visas and there was no "halt[ing] refugees from Iraq for a while".  Imposing additional checks and slowing process time is in no way "halt[ing]" refugees.

Right, and Trump's ban was never a ban on Muslims, as has been wrongly reported all around the world.  But Trump admin did screw up with banning those with valid visas and green cards but that was quickly changed/fixed.

:lol:

Trump campaigns on a Muslim ban and then just so happens to ban people who are citizens of several muslim majority nations? Where, sir, is your mind?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2017, 04:43:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2017, 04:42:05 PM
Then she was lying.  There was no planned attack.  The Iraqis were nabbed for weapons trafficking and having previously attacked Americans in Iraq. 

Wait...what?

So what happened at Bowling Green?

Two guys were arrested in BG Ky in 2011 and convicted of trying to aid overseas terrorist organizations.  They were Iraqis who had successfully applied for US visa.  Conway claimed that this was Trump's motivation for his ban on imkmigration, and she falsely said that it triggered Obama to issue a similar six month ban.  She falsely alleged that the case hadn't been covered by the media.   Pretty much everything Conway said about it was a lie.  She probably was accidentally truthful about some element or other.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

QuoteFormer Norway PM held at Washington airport over 2014 visit to Iran
Kjell Magne Bondevik describes shock after being held and questioned at Dulles hub under new US entry controls

A former prime minister of Norway has spoken of his shock after he was held and questioned at Washington Dulles airport because of a visit to Iran three years ago.

Kjell Magne Bondevik, who served as prime minister of Norway from 1997-2000 and 2001-05, flew into the US from Europe on Tuesday afternoon to attend this week's National Prayer Breakfast.

He was held for an hour after customs agents saw in his diplomatic passport that he had been to Iran in 2014. Bondevik said his passport also clearly indicated that he was the former PM of Norway.

"Of course I fully understand the fear of letting terrorists come into this country," he told ABC7. "It should be enough when they found that I have a diplomatic passport, [that I'm a] former prime minister.

"That should be enough for them to understand that I don't represent any problem or threat to this country and [to] let me go immediately, but they didn't."

Bondevik, who is the president the Oslo Centre, a human rights organisation, said he was placed in a room with travellers from the Middle East and Africa who were also facing extra scrutiny.

He said he was ordered to wait for 40 minutes, before being questioned for another 20 minutes about his trip to Iran, which he had taken to speak at a human rights conference.

"I was surprised, and I was provoked," he said. "What will the reputation of the US be if this happens not only to me, but also to other international leaders?"

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 04:46:23 PM
We'll see how it goes. Regardless of what's done you know the dems are going to decry it as helping the rich. It may do that but also, many of those "rich" will likely be small business owners who aren't in the same category as big business or wealthy but will be lumped in the same group. Small businesses have been getting slammed, startups are way down. Hillary even lamented the problem during her campaign.

Yeah, the Republicans are already starting to argue that the financial meltdown in 2009 was due to government regulations, not bad/greedy loans.  They won't even try to help the rich, only the "job creators" (the wealthy).  All of their lies about small business owners (I am one) do make me laugh, though.  Small businesses are better off than ever, except in the alternate reality where Trump lives.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I think it's rather remarkable that they linked a fingerprint to one of the suspects to a bomb found in Iraq. No matter how you cut it, this does not seem like some kind of gross failure on the part of the government.  The bad guys were nabbed and are now doing time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 04:50:19 PM
Conway misspoke. She was talking about the planned attack by a couple of Iraqi refugees in Kentucky that police prevented. This was the incident that led Pres Obama to halt refugees from Iraq for a while.

Obama never halted refugees from Iraq.  That's just another "alternate fact."

QuoteSo they shouldn't have been in the country given their past of attacking Americans. They were found out and were likely deported or charges brought for their actions in Iraq.
One is in prison for life, the other for 40 years.  They won't be deported until their sentences are finished.

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2017, 06:07:55 PM
We'll see how it goes. Regardless of what's done you know the dems are going to decry it as helping the rich. It may do that but also, many of those "rich" will likely be small business owners who aren't in the same category as big business or wealthy but will be lumped in the same group. Small businesses have been getting slammed, startups are way down. Hillary even lamented the problem during her campaign.

Yeah, the Republicans are already starting to argue that the financial meltdown in 2009 was due to government regulations, not bad/greedy loans.  They won't even try to help the rich, only the "job creators" (the wealthy).  All of their lies about small business owners (I am one) do make me laugh, though.  Small businesses are better off than ever, except in the alternate reality where Trump lives.

What do you produce?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 03, 2017, 06:12:09 PM

What do you produce?

Books.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

There's already a wiki page on the BG Massacre:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Green_Massacre

Interestingly, it notes that "on January 31, Kentucky senator Rand Paul referenced a similar unsubstantiated terrorist incident in an interview with MSNBC, when he referred to, "the attempted bombing in Bowling Green, Kentucky, where I live."[9][16]"  That may be where Conway "learned" about the "massacre." 

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2017, 06:01:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2017, 04:43:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2017, 04:42:05 PM
Then she was lying.  There was no planned attack.  The Iraqis were nabbed for weapons trafficking and having previously attacked Americans in Iraq. 

Wait...what?

So what happened at Bowling Green?

Two guys were arrested in BG Ky in 2011 and convicted of trying to aid overseas terrorist organizations.  They were Iraqis who had successfully applied for US visa.  Conway claimed that this was Trump's motivation for his ban on imkmigration, and she falsely said that it triggered Obama to issue a similar six month ban.  She falsely alleged that the case hadn't been covered by the media.   Pretty much everything Conway said about it was a lie.  She probably was accidentally truthful about some element or other.

No entirely innocent, she merely mis-spoke multiply times within a paragraph of a prepared statement.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

I've always argued that the crisis was caused by bad loans which were encouraged by the regulations in place;  it wasn't a lack of regulation, but inappropriate regulation.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on February 03, 2017, 06:40:38 PM

I've always argued that the crisis was caused by bad loans which were encouraged by the regulations in place;  it wasn't a lack of regulation, but inappropriate regulation.
That was the prior alternative fact theory.  The financial meltdown happened because Clinton forced banks to give mortgages to the [insert your favorite dog whistle term for black people].  While a convenient theory to some, it ignores the fact that mortgage defaults were only the first domino to fall, and that the vast majority of losses stemmed from unregulated derivative trading.  For that matter, it's not even a theory that explains what happened in the mortgage industry, if you want to stick to non-alternative facts.

celedhring

The mortgage crisis was caused mainly by lucrative unregulated derivatives that made sidestepping mortgage regulations too attractive a prospect.