Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 04:37:13 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2017, 11:57:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2017, 10:45:11 AM
So lovely how Conway blamed refugees for an American massacre that never happened...
check the Twitters at the bottom of the article :D
Link

Conway misspoke. She was talking about the planned attack by a couple of Iraqi refugees in Kentucky that police prevented. This was the incident that led Pres Obama to halt refugees from Iraq for a while.

She misspoke when she named a massacre in an American city? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 04:50:19 PM
So they shouldn't have been in the country given their past of attacking Americans.

Well they were arrested so sounds like the government agreed with you.

QuoteThey were found out and were likely deported or charges brought for their actions in Iraq.

Do you actually know anything about this incident?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2017, 04:53:23 PM
So lovely how Conway blamed refugees for an American massacre that never happened...
Link

Conway misspoke. She was talking about the planned attack by a couple of Iraqi refugees in Kentucky that police prevented. This was the incident that led Pres Obama to halt refugees from Iraq for a while.

She was wrong, if she did mean a massacre. I doubt she tried to lie about it as it's so easy to check the story, therefor I said/assumed she misspoke. 

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 04:46:23 PM
We'll see how it goes. Regardless of what's done you know the dems are going to decry it as helping the rich.

I don't think the point of the bill was to hurt the rich. And in any case what the Dems will decry it for is putting us in danger of another meltdown.

QuoteIt may do that but also, many of those "rich" will likely be small business owners who aren't in the same category as big business or wealthy but will be lumped in the same group. Small businesses have been getting slammed, startups are way down. Hillary even lamented the problem during her campaign.

Who are you arguing with? None of us hate the rich. No need to get all defensive.

If they make good reforms to the bill I think most rational people will recognize them as good reforms. Especially if whatever problems small businesses are having is related too tight credit due to this bill.

Since we are in an era where I am constantly being begged to borrow at 4% and shit that seems hard to believe but I am not a venture capitalist so what do I know?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 05:00:32 PM
She was wrong, if she did mean a massacre. I doubt she tried to lie about it as it's so easy to check the story, therefor I said/assumed she misspoke. 

I think she can speak for herself. If she misspoke in someway I am sure she will clarify.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 05:00:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2017, 04:53:23 PM
Link

:lol:

Yes, because the Trump administration never tells easily disprovable lies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2017, 04:59:04 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 04:50:19 PM
So they shouldn't have been in the country given their past of attacking Americans.

Well they were arrested so sounds like the government agreed with you.

QuoteThey were found out and were likely deported or charges brought for their actions in Iraq.

Do you actually know anything about this incident?
They were charged and sentenced, heavy sentences. This is a recent story about it. Looks like pretty unsavory characters.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/03/politics/bowling-green-not-massacre-terrorists-trnd/

CNN)There was never a "Bowling Green massacre."
Here's what happened: In 2011, two Iraqi men were arrested on charges related to terrorism in Bowling Green, Kentucky. They were later convicted of trying to get weapons and money from the United States to al Qaeda in Iraq. They were also convicted of helping al Qaeda carry out attacks on American troops in Iraq.
In fact, the two men never plotted any attacks inside the United States, according to the head of the Justice Department's National Security Division at the time.

Waad Ramadan Alwan and Mohanad Shareef Hammadi were arrested as part of an FBI sting operation after being under the bureau's surveillance for months. All the weapons they had planned on shipping were already under the FBI's control at the time of their arrest.

The men pleaded guilty to all the counts against them. Alwan was sentenced to 40 years in prison, and Hammadi received life in prison.

The discovery of these two men prompted the Obama administration to make temporary changes to the way Iraqi refugees and visa applicants were admitted into the United States.
But in defending the new travel ban on immigrants and refugees, Donald Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway cited a nonexistent "Bowling Green massacre" in an interview Thursday.

How it affected national security
Alwan and Hammadi were both admitted to the United States as refugees. As a direct response to their arrests, the Department of Homeland Security re-vetted 58,000 refugees already in the country, imposed vetting on 25,000 other Iraqi citizens still in Iraq and significantly tightened the processing of Iraqi visa/refugee applications for six months.

The move was different from Trump's travel ban, which has ensnared people who already have green cards and valid visas. The new executive order encompasses seven nations and has prevented some legal immigrants already inside the United States from leaving the country since their ability to come back in has not been assured.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2017, 04:43:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2017, 04:42:05 PM
Then she was lying.  There was no planned attack.  The Iraqis were nabbed for weapons trafficking and having previously attacked Americans in Iraq. 

Wait...what?

So what happened at Bowling Green?

It's the place where the two arrested guys lived, there was never a massacre there, either perpetrated or being planned.

Habbaku

the planned attack by a couple of Iraqi refugees in Kentucky that police prevented. This was the incident that led Pres Obama to halt refugees from Iraq for a while.

Leaving aside whether Conway lied about it or not, she certainly did lie (or is this another 'misspoke'?) about the Iraqi travel ban.  There was no such thing.

Iraqis were not banned from entering the USA on travel visas and there was no "halt[ing] refugees from Iraq for a while".  Imposing additional checks and slowing process time is in no way "halt[ing]" refugees.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

KRonn

Quote from: Habbaku on February 03, 2017, 05:14:46 PM
the planned attack by a couple of Iraqi refugees in Kentucky that police prevented. This was the incident that led Pres Obama to halt refugees from Iraq for a while.

Leaving aside whether Conway lied about it or not, she certainly did lie (or is this another 'misspoke'?) about the Iraqi travel ban.  There was no such thing.

Iraqis were not banned from entering the USA on travel visas and there was no "halt[ing] refugees from Iraq for a while".  Imposing additional checks and slowing process time is in no way "halt[ing]" refugees.

Right, and Trump's ban was never a ban on Muslims, as has been wrongly reported all around the world.  But Trump admin did screw up with banning those with valid visas and green cards but that was quickly changed/fixed.

Maladict

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 03, 2017, 04:15:41 PM

I see you're stuck in the past--we live in a post-factual era of alternative facts.

I think I might like to stay in the past then. Is this how people become conservative in middle age?  :(

Habbaku

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 05:25:08 PM
But Trump admin did screw up with banning those with valid visas and green cards but that was quickly changed/fixed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/over-100-000-visas-have-been-revoked-immigration-ban-justice-n716121

QuoteAt least 100,000 visas have been revoked in a single week in response to President Donald Trump's executive immigration order, a lawyer for the Justice Department revealed in court Friday.

Yeah, that got "fixed" real quick.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien