News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Yes, the Washington Post is renowned for making stuff up.  That it only seems to happen when it concerns Trump is not really an issue.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2017, 04:15:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2017, 04:08:40 PM
Kick those damn legals out :P

I mean come on. This seems bit hard to believe.
Draft on immigration restrictions focusing on protecting US jobs

QuoteThe administration would be seeking to "deny admission to any alien who is likely to become a public charge" and to develop standards for "determining whether an alien is deportable . . . for having become a public charge within five years of entry" — receiving a certain amount of public assistance, including food stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Medicaid.

The law already provides for denying entry to immigrants who are likely to become a public charge, so having Trump reiterate that isn't unexpected.  I think that the only way they could extend that to those already in the country would be through allegations of fraudulent entry (i.e. lying on the screening documents). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Yeah booting out legal immigrants crosses the line from everyday villainy to cartoonish supervillany. So I think I need to see his signature on something like that before I consider him a rank amateur compared to... Dr. Colossus!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 03, 2017, 04:15:41 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2017, 04:14:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2017, 04:08:40 PM
Kick those damn legals out :P

I mean come on. This seems bit hard to believe.

An alleged EO that he is reportedly considering signing; evidence doesn't get much more concrete than that.

I see you're stuck in the past--we live in a post-factual era of alternative facts.

Yes, in this brave new world enforcing existing law is "a witch hunt were legal immigrants would also be deported."   Languish has been a good training ground on how to laugh at the Trump admin.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

QuoteTrump begins undoing Dodd-Frank bank regulations 

This could use some reform/changes. Trump can only do so much on the administrative side, pretty sure any bigger changes to the law need to be done by Congress. I'm glad they're looking at this. According to those on both sides of politics the law has problems. Such as causing small banks to curtail loans which badly affects small businesses. It serves more to protect big banks who get more benefits from it which they don't need. The great majority of jobs are had by people working in small businesses. I think one thing the bill does try to do is limit "too big to fail" and taxpayers bailing out failures. I think that even needs some reform to actually work. And I think co-author Barney Frank even said that they bill needs fixing, if I remember reading that correctly in a local newspaper a few years ago. Frank is former Massachusetts congressman who retired a few years ago.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 04:23:47 PM

This could use some reform/changes. Trump can only do so much on the administrative side, pretty sure any bigger changes to the law need to be done by Congress. I'm glad they're looking at this. According to those on both sides of politics the law has problems. Such as causing small banks to curtail loans which badly affects small businesses. It serves more to protect big banks who get more benefits from it which they don't need. The great majority of jobs are had by people working in small businesses. I think one thing the bill does try to do is limit "too big to fail" and taxpayers bailing out failures. I think that even needs some reform to actually work. And I think co-author Barney Frank even said that they bill needs fixing, if I remember reading that correctly in a local newspaper a few years ago. Frank is former Massachusetts congressman who retired a few years ago.

Well no bill is perfect. It depends upon what the results and goals of this reform effort are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

There certainly are elements of the Dodd-Frank bull that need amending, though the Republicans have been refusing to do that for six years now.  Unfortunately, it is almost certain that Trump will repeal the parts of the acts that are good for the people and bad for the rich, whole leaving intact the portions of the bill that are good for the rich but bad for the average Joe.

A strict limit on the public's liability for disastrous banking greed, and a complete liability on the part of bank owners for the misdeeds of their employees would work wonders for bank profits and stability.  The government should be forcing bank executives to be honest and transparent with the stockholders, and force the stockholders to be the ones holding executives to blame for their errors.  The execs shouldn't be able to gamble with public money, and shouldn't be able to walk away with tens of millions of dollars in self-awarded compensation when they finally do get fired.  A bank exec who fails should be ruined, and a stockholder who doesn't hold his employees accountable should be ruined.

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2017, 04:22:07 PM
Yeah booting out legal immigrants crosses the line from everyday villainy to cartoonish supervillany. So I think I need to see his signature on something like that before I consider him a rank amateur compared to... Dr. Colossus!

This is the administration that wants to deport criminal illegals, including those merely charged with crimes.

http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/1/28/14416616/executive-order-immigrants-sanctuary-trump

Quote(b) Have been charged with any criminal offense, where such charge has not been resolved;

(Personally, I think that a person illegally entering a country should be subject to being deported; that said, the situation in the U.S. is complicated in that many of these immigrants are now firmly rooted in their communities, often parents of children who are Americans by birthright ... IMHO it would be best to draw a line now, give these people a road to citizenship - maybe only to those who have been in the U.S. for at least x amount of years? - and be tough on any new illegals coming in.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2017, 11:57:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2017, 10:45:11 AM
So lovely how Conway blamed refugees for an American massacre that never happened...
check the Twitters at the bottom of the article :D
Link

Conway misspoke. She was talking about the planned attack by a couple of Iraqi refugees in Kentucky that police prevented. This was the incident that led Pres Obama to halt refugees from Iraq for a while.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2017, 04:32:39 PM

There certainly are elements of the Dodd-Frank bull that need amending, though the Republicans have been refusing to do that for six years now.

Well you can see why KRonn is so happy they are finally getting back into the governing business.

QuoteConway misspoke. She was talking about the planned attack by a couple of Iraqi refugees in Kentucky that police prevented. This was the incident that led Pres Obama to halt refugees from Iraq for a while.

I am not going to google this because I have no stomach to endure all the propaganda shit that will pop up. Would you mind sharing some information about this incident?

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 04:37:13 PM
So lovely how Conway blamed refugees for an American massacre that never happened...
Link

Conway misspoke. She was talking about the planned attack by a couple of Iraqi refugees in Kentucky that police prevented. This was the incident that led Pres Obama to halt refugees from Iraq for a while.

Then she was lying.  There was no planned attack.  The Iraqis were nabbed for weapons trafficking and having previously attacked Americans in Iraq. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2017, 04:42:05 PM
Then she was lying.  There was no planned attack.  The Iraqis were nabbed for weapons trafficking and having previously attacked Americans in Iraq. 

Wait...what?

So what happened at Bowling Green?

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2017, 04:32:39 PM

There certainly are elements of the Dodd-Frank bull that need amending, though the Republicans have been refusing to do that for six years now.  Unfortunately, it is almost certain that Trump will repeal the parts of the acts that are good for the people and bad for the rich, whole leaving intact the portions of the bill that are good for the rich but bad for the average Joe.

A strict limit on the public's liability for disastrous banking greed, and a complete liability on the part of bank owners for the misdeeds of their employees would work wonders for bank profits and stability.  The government should be forcing bank executives to be honest and transparent with the stockholders, and force the stockholders to be the ones holding executives to blame for their errors.  The execs shouldn't be able to gamble with public money, and shouldn't be able to walk away with tens of millions of dollars in self-awarded compensation when they finally do get fired.  A bank exec who fails should be ruined, and a stockholder who doesn't hold his employees accountable should be ruined.

We'll see how it goes. Regardless of what's done you know the dems are going to decry it as helping the rich. It may do that but also, many of those "rich" will likely be small business owners who aren't in the same category as big business or wealthy but will be lumped in the same group. Small businesses have been getting slammed, startups are way down. Hillary even lamented the problem during her campaign.

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2017, 04:42:05 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2017, 04:37:13 PM
Link

So they shouldn't have been in the country given their past of attacking Americans. They were found out and were likely deported or charges brought for their actions in Iraq.