And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2017, 11:57:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2017, 10:45:11 AM
So lovely how Conway blamed refugees for an American massacre that never happened...
check the Twitters at the bottom of the article :D
Link

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on February 03, 2017, 11:56:21 AM
QuoteDonald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump
A new radical Islamic terrorist has just attacked in Louvre Museum in Paris. Tourists were locked down. France on edge again. GET SMART U.S.

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump
Professional anarchists, thugs and paid protesters are proving the point of the millions of people who voted to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Meeting with biggest business leaders this morning. Good jobs are coming back to U.S., health care and tax bills are being crafted NOW!

Thank you to Prime Minister of Australia for telling the truth about our very civil conversation that FAKE NEWS media lied about. Very nice!

Iran is playing with fire - they don't appreciate how "kind" President Obama was to them. Not me!

Yes, Arnold Schwarzenegger did a really bad job as Governor of California and even worse on the Apprentice...but at least he tried hard!

Busy day.

Yeah, I was looking at those and concluded my earlier highlighting of the Iran one wasn't that important in retrospect, as it didn't include A LEAST ONE CAPITALIZED WORD, unlike most of the rest of them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on February 03, 2017, 11:56:21 AM
Busy day.

When someone said Melania was not in Washington, they weren't fucking kidding.  She has not been in DC since the Sunday after Inauguration.

He has nothing to do but watch TV, fume and seethe.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2017, 12:00:58 PM
So lovely how Conway blamed refugees for an American massacre that never happened...
Link

Looks like we'll need a Non-existent acts of terror megathtread for the next 4-8 years.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 03, 2017, 12:18:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2017, 12:00:58 PM
Link

Looks like we'll need a Non-existent acts of terror megathtread for the next 4-8 years.

Well if an act of terror, that did not occur, terrorizes a populace, who's the terrorist? The fibber?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on February 03, 2017, 10:22:58 AM
What was this mornings Iran tweet caused by?

a. more indignation over ballistic missile test.

b. a difficult bowel movement.

c. Melania not putting out last night.

Melania went back to New York after the inauguration and hasn't been back to DC since.  They want Barron to finish up the school year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2017, 12:26:48 PM

Melania went back to New York after the inauguration and hasn't been back to DC since.  They want Barron to finish up the school year.

Canadians queuing up for this month's 'I take everything literally' award.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

This thread moves so quickly that I haven't noticed--did anyone post the Spicer bit where he lied ("misspoke") about Iran attacking a US Navy vessel?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on February 03, 2017, 01:30:09 PM
This thread moves so quickly that I haven't noticed--did anyone post the Spicer bit where he lied ("misspoke") about Iran attacking a US Navy vessel?

Huh. No.

I heard something about Trump sabre-rattling about Iran but I missed any 'Gulf of Tonkin' type announcements.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2017, 01:33:42 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 03, 2017, 01:30:09 PM

Huh. No.

I heard something about Trump sabre-rattling about Iran but I missed any 'Gulf of Tonkin' type announcements.

Turns out it was Iranian-backed Houthi rebels attacked a Saudi ship.  Seems like a fairly key difference.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on February 03, 2017, 12:32:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2017, 12:26:48 PM

Canadians queuing up for this month's 'I take everything literally' award.  :)

We're Canadians, those things are synonyms.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 03, 2017, 11:39:01 AM
1. Minsky's focus on the fact the Green's control Hobby Lobby through a trust appears largely irrelevant to Gorsuch's argument. Gorsuch asserts the RFRA claim occurs because the Greens hold controlling interest in the corporation that will offer the insurance (without really exploring the legal vehicle through which they control it)

That's not what he says because its factual incorrect.  They didn't own the controlling interest in the corp that would offer the insurance. The trusts own the controlling interest.  They are merely trustees of the trust.  Those legal distinctions matter quite a bit - break them down and you also break down the purpose and benefits of using trusts in the first place. 

What Gorsuch actually says - or rather tries to bury in a footnote - is that the federal rules permit trustees to bring actions on behalf of a trust.  Which is true but irrelevant because he is holding the reverse: the trustees are permitted to bring the case as individuals for personal harm to them.

Quotethus it is they who have to make an actual decision--provide insurance with features that violate their religious beliefs or do not. While he doesn't delve into it in his opinion, this would obviously be different than the CEO of Proctor & Gamble, who reports to a Board of Directors who report to shareholders, and which would have corporate bylaws generally requiring their executives to abide by the law.

This gets to the point.  There is no "actual decision" to make.  They caused a corporation to be formed, the corporation hired employees, thus the corporation is subject to general regulation.  There is no decision to make here other than the decision to form the corporation in the first place (and get the associated advantages of that form) and the decision not to take steps to cause the corporation to act in violation of law.

The distinction you make between P&G is legally irrelevant.  In most states, even close corporations have boards of directors and bylaws.  And all corporations close or not are supposed to abide by the law.

Quote2. I find Gorsuch's comparison to the Lee case which exempted Amish employers from paying social security tax to be a reasonable analogue for the Hobby Lobby situation, and thus whether you agree with his conclusion or not, I think it's decently grounded in precedent, which should put it outside the realm of a "bonkers" decision.

One problem - the Amish employer lost that case - he had to pay the tax.  It's telling that the natural reading of Gorsuch's opinion is that it came out the other way.  That says a lot about how far out he went.

QuoteGorsuch makes, to my mind, a decently logical argument that it is not the government's place to decide "what degree of separation" between an employer's action and an employee's action constitute a violation of religious morality, since the government cannot be in the business of deciding theology. Since there is no serious doubt as to the sincerity of the Green's belief, and they are responsible on a specific individual level for making the decision, it seems reasonable to say they're in a situation where they as individuals are making a decision over which they have full control, that might violate their religious conscience.

Misses the point.  The employer is the corporation,  not the Greens.  His concurrence isn't about the rights of the employer.  It's about the standing of the shareholder to invoke those supposed rights.  And that's what makes it bonkers.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

QuoteA second directive he signed is expected to halt and possibly require an overhaul of an Obama-era Labor Department rule that requires brokers to act in a client's best interest, rather than seek the highest profits for themselves, when providing retirement advice.

QuoteThe meeting underscored the degree to which the architects of Mr. Trump's economic strategy are now some of the very people he lambasted in his campaign, which ended with a commercial that described "a global power structure that is responsible for the economic decisions that have robbed our working class, stripped our country of its wealth and put that money into the pockets of a handful of large corporations."
Trump begins undoing Dodd-Frank bank regulations
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

There might just be some hope left for CdM.
Repair is the same as repeal

That sure is a 180 turn for some of them.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

About time somebody did some repairs and reforms to the ACA. They could have easily done that years ago though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."