And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on January 15, 2017, 07:24:27 AM
Quote from: HVC on January 14, 2017, 11:39:38 PM
So some affordable medication bill failed because of dems voting against it? Your politics are weird down there.

Could you possibly be more vague?  Your comment almost reaches the threshold where someone could craft an intellectual response, and I know you'd prefer not to see that.

I had only over ehard on tv so I didn't know all the details, and even though you asked in your usual assholish  way i'll still looked up a link for you

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/13/bernie-sanders-pharma-bill-vote-reveals-new-battle-lines-commentary.html
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2017, 12:49:42 PM
Maybe the liberals should sketch less.  I've been wondering for a long time about the effect of liberal political comedy on politics.  To me it seems like political comedy releases the pressure that would've been better released on actually getting something done politically.  It also seems to make people generally more cynical in general, which is a very bad outcome in a democracy.

I don't think that you understand humor or politics, if you think that SNL skits mean that liberals are less interested in legislating or voting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

SNL's Weekend Update did manage to land the kind of punch that makes people wince, and Languishites laugh out loud.

https://youtu.be/NBjP5uz_eK8?t=44s

Already queued up to :44 to :55, lol

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on January 15, 2017, 01:46:40 PM
I had only over ehard on tv so I didn't know all the details, and even though you asked in your usual assholish  way i'll still looked up a link for you

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/13/bernie-sanders-pharma-bill-vote-reveals-new-battle-lines-commentary.html

So you made a snippy remark about another country's politics based on something you heard on TV but didn't know the details of?  And you want, as usual, to accuse others of being assholish?  :lmfao:

First of all, you need to get news sources that give you details, and which are accurate.  You have linked to an op-ed piece, not a news story, and so your source isn't fact-checked and got the story wrong.   Here are some facts (not that you are interested, I suppose)

1.  Bernie Sanders introduced no bill, so no Sanders "affordable medication bill" could have been voted down.  Sanders merely introduced an amendment to the budget reconciliation bill that would have called on the government to establish rules by which pharmacists and individuals could have imported prescription drugs.  Since it was an amendment, it can be re-introduced at any time, if Sanders can answer the objections of some of the opponents (some of which seem pretty reasonable).

2.  The vote's outcome didn't reflect a purely partisan divide.  Senators from each party voted on both sides.  That's probably fitting, given that Sanders refuses to join either party.

That may seem like "weird politics" to some assholes, but to most of us that's just regular old politics.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2017, 02:23:33 PM
SNL's Weekend Update did manage to land the kind of punch that makes people wince, and Languishites laugh out loud.

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on January 15, 2017, 02:02:55 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2017, 12:49:42 PM
Maybe the liberals should sketch less.  I've been wondering for a long time about the effect of liberal political comedy on politics.  To me it seems like political comedy releases the pressure that would've been better released on actually getting something done politically.  It also seems to make people generally more cynical in general, which is a very bad outcome in a democracy.

I don't think that you understand humor or politics, if you think that SNL skits mean that liberals are less interested in legislating or voting.
What I'm saying is that humor is a coping mechanism.  Laughing at the absurdity of politics may release the energy that could be useful for actually changing politics.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on January 15, 2017, 04:40:08 PM
And you say I'm the idiot.
I do, but what does this have to do with anything?

dps

DGuller

Quote from: dps on January 15, 2017, 05:27:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2017, 04:42:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 15, 2017, 04:40:08 PM
And you say I'm the idiot.
I do, but what does this have to do with anything?

It's a "pot, meet kettle" thing.
Let me guess how this is going to go:  you consider yourself to be an intelligent person, you know many intelligent people, and I'm no intelligent person?  Or do you have a different script in mind this time?

Duque de Bragança

Great one indeed.  :lol:

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2017, 04:33:51 PM
What I'm saying is that humor is a coping mechanism.  Laughing at the absurdity of politics may release the energy that could be useful for actually changing politics.

And what I am saying is that you are talking nonsense.  When people laugh at something, it doesn't reduce their determination to change situations they do not like.  It is simply laughing at a situation.  Gandhi laughed frequently.  MLK Jr was known for his sense of humor.   Sam Clemens worked tirelessly for the causes he believed in and satirized.  I cannot think of a single case where someone has argued that they, or another specific person, would have acted if they hadn't laughed about something.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

I would be much more worried about the person that never, ever laughs.  Like Donald Trump.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2017, 06:27:26 PM
I would be much more worried about the person that never, ever laughs.  Like Donald Trump.

Didn't he laugh after his dead-on cerebral palsy imitation?