And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2016, 10:26:09 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2016, 10:23:42 AM
I'll let you know when it happens.  But chances are I'll take it issue by issue.  I expect to support some of his policies and oppose others.

That's not what he asked you.  He asked you what would be beyond the Pale.

Beyond the pale for what?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Since when has been business experience so fetishized? A government is not a business.

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on December 19, 2016, 01:17:45 PM
Since when has been business experience so fetishized? A government is not a business.

I guess it comes from the irrational desire for a more pro-business government.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2016, 01:19:11 PM

There is not really an anti-business government in the US though. Or at least that is what I am told. Because of all the corruption by crooked Wall Street politicians like Hitlery.

DOOOOOOOMED.

To answer The Larch's question it is because the private sphere is supposed to be more efficient so successful business people get lots of respect for their management skills. Of course the pressures and concerns of private enterprise are really different so I am not sure they transfer well but hey maybe they do. I have never seen a study on the issue.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

This is true - government is not a business.

But the purpose of government is to serve the community, of which businesses are an important part.  If you have a leader with business experience he or she is going to have a better idea of the needs of business community.

Government experience on the other hand can be kind of isolating.  It can, in the worst case, lead up to government existing for the purpose of serving government.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yeah the idea might just be to get somebody in there who is more connected to the community. Granted I don't think very many politicians come directly from the bureaucracy so unless they are just running for dog catcher out of college they have to come from someplace.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Well that would be good news for leading American businesses.  Like Boeing, for example.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 19, 2016, 02:01:43 PM

Well that would be good news for leading American businesses.  Like Boeing, for example.

Depends on how much the President trashes your stock value from the shitter.  OH WAIT

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 19, 2016, 02:30:50 PM
Depends on how much the President trashes your stock value from the shitter.  OH WAIT

Joan was making an allusion to the possibility of war.  :secret:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2016, 02:32:59 PM

El Presidente Trump fucking up stock prices on a weekly basis is likelier.  Looks like you're going to have to get up a lot earlier for your gambling, Draft King.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2016, 02:32:59 PM

I thought he was referring to Trump canceling an order from Boeing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I thought he was referring to the tweet that made everybody dump their Boeing stock for a few minutes.

In any case I am sure Spicey was referring to an actual successful business person running government not a reality TV star celebrity.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2016, 02:52:40 PM
In any case I am sure Spicey was referring to an actual successful business person running government not a reality TV star celebrity.

Like Lee Iacocca or Warren Buffet.  Oh wait, they never ran for a reason.

Let's stick with Robert McNamara then.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2016, 06:14:21 PM
So? Saying that he doesn't care about something does not mean he can't be judged on it.
Would you judge an hypothetical NDP government doing the same, not caring about international crisis?  Heck, the Trudeau government, in his first action, pullet out our airplanes from the coallition.  They got booted of the security meetings and now they're saying something must be done.

Yet, I don't much criticism of this government irresponsible behavior.  No more than I saw any criticism of the Chrétien government's behavior while he was draggin his feet on every international crisis during his term.
I see a lot more criticism when Canada intervenes (see the reaction against Martin and Harper about Afghanistan).  I see politicians hiding the truth about the missions our soldiers are in for fear of angering the public.

I don't mind judging Trump on this, but he got elected promising he would do just that: not care about the world outside his border, and that pleases to a lot of Americans, apparently. 
Not much different than Trudeau, except his voters were naive enough to believe singing "Let's give peace a chance" would work in Syria.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.